Upholstered Chair wonkyness

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Buster123

Jan 19, 2009
Gainesville Va
Real Name
Joe Bouch
Business Location
United States
Hey guys,
Need a little help. We cleaned these chairs on Tuesday and the customer sent me these pics. How do I correct this? Thanks for your help!

Grn Steamer

Dec 5, 2014
Real Name
Matt R
Looks like it got too wet and it shrunk. Not good. I try to keep these as dry as possible, a little encap goes a long way sometimes. I would try a steamer on them or gently mist them with a spray bottle and pin them down during the drying process. This might work, but not if they shrunk and are smaller now than before. I would take them to my shop and work on them where you can control things. Upholstery can pay great but can also be very snarky...with many one off problems.

Buster123

Jan 19, 2009
Gainesville Va
Real Name
Joe Bouch
Business Location
United States
Unfortunately I can’t take them with me. I was thinking about using a steamer to break up the wrinkles. Then cloths pin them together while I dry with a air mover. I hope I didn’t do permanent damage. Thanks for your help!!

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
One way I was taught is to pin some sort of thing on it (that doesn't bleed), to force the skirting to hang down, to keep the skirting straight as it dries (maybe two long plastic rulers??).

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Ouch.

Hopefully you can stretch it back out. I would probably stay away from using steam. Use a spray bottle and wet them with cool water and try to stretch it evenly. It may take several attempts. It would be a lot better if you took them home to do the work.

Buster123

Jan 19, 2009
Gainesville Va
Real Name
Joe Bouch
Business Location
United States
Ouch.

Hopefully you can stretch it back out. I would probably stay away from using steam. Use a spray bottle and wet them with cool water and try to stretch it evenly. It may take several attempts. It would be a lot better if you took them home to do the work.
I agree it would be much easier if I could take them back to the shop/my house to take my time to make it right. But it’s not exactly right down the street if you know what I mean.
So you think just misting with cold water and stretching out would be best Todd? Then air mover and stay till completely dry?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
You are dealing with dissimilar contents inside the skirt material. If you check you likely have an internal material sewn into the skirt that was over wet compared to the outside fabric. A dehumidifier aimed into a fan will remedy this quickly on site. Operator error is the cause. A couple well placed safety pins during drying will fix it. If you are correcting this days afterwards you will likely need to rewet it just enough.

Buster123

Jan 19, 2009
Gainesville Va
Real Name
Joe Bouch
Business Location
United States
Thank you for your advise guys! I think I know now what I have to do here. Going back Tuesday. I’ll let you know how it goes

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Good advise above. They need to be rewet and then pulled back to the original size and position.

Our company would use a C Clamp to hang a weight on each corner and every foot or so along the bottom during drying. The weight would pull them back into position. Jim's ideas of safety pins also works if you can get the right place to pin them to.

Buster123

Jan 19, 2009
Gainesville Va
Real Name
Joe Bouch
Business Location
United States
Good advise above. They need to be rewet and then pulled back to the original size and position.

Our company would use a C Clamp to hang a weight on each corner and every foot or so along the bottom during drying. The weight would pull them back into position. Jim's ideas of safety pins also works if you can get the right place to pin them to.
Thanks Scott

Buster123

Jan 19, 2009
Gainesville Va
Real Name
Joe Bouch
Business Location
United States
Went back this morning to correct the problem. Brought spray bottle with cold water, towel, and fan. Wet the skirts and just manually stretched them one at a time while moving air as I went. Spent about 45min. Left cloths pins when they were all dry. Told the customer to leave pins in for 24 hours. There was a bit of shrinkage. No tags to tell the material. She’s Happy lesson learned. Would def encap next time around. Thanks for the advise!

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
I’d just vacuum the bottom next time and not wet it. How dirty could the bottom get. I HATE upholstery lol.

Grn Steamer

Dec 5, 2014
Real Name
Matt R
I’d just vacuum the bottom next time and not wet it. How dirty could the bottom get. I HATE upholstery lol.
Agree, but the real bugger is when there are shoe marks or dirt marks just where the bottom of the couch ends (behind the skirt)...encap helps.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Thanks for showing your problems so us greenhorns to upholstery can avoid the same mistakes. Appreciate it.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
You are dealing with dissimilar contents inside the skirt material. If you check you likely have an internal material sewn into the skirt that was over wet compared to the outside fabric. A dehumidifier aimed into a fan will remedy this quickly on site. Operator error is the cause. A couple well placed safety pins during drying will fix it. If you are correcting this days afterwards you will likely need to rewet it just enough.
amen! a vapor cleaner can also help before pinning. that way you introduce t just the amount of moisture that the fabric will need and will dry faster.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
I’m not sure..my tech was the one who cleaned them. Guess we should have done our do diligence on this one.
Not to sound like an ashole but do you at least know what fabric you are working on??