UPDATE on AV Carpet Care

Wal3r1

Jun 12, 2017
Winston Salem Nc
Real Name
Andrew Walker
Hey everyone, with everyone who has help I thought about sharing an update.

I work a Monday to Friday office job, only planning on doing weekend work for now. So With the bumps in the road,stolen generator, touble getting my name out there. We started a Facebook page. FB.com/AVCarpetCare (feel free to take a look and give a like ?)
I added my name on Google places, awaiting the verification card.
I could sit another weekend waiting on anything anymore. So I decided, I am going to go get my Sandia Sniper, my generator (new one) and find some where to set up and put up a sign to do Car Upholstery. I went and got plastic to cover wet seats. And Saturday I found the perfect spot, a very big parking lot just down a little from a car wash, one of those nice car washes. They don't offer Upholstery Cleaning so why not. I see my sign out, pull the sniper out, and .... Her comes running... Not jogging the car wash manager. Telling me I can not do that there, we discussed a few things. But ultimately I left. I learned a lot Saturday, time it takes to get my equipment loaded and then set up and everything. I decided to court other locations and try again Sunday.

I found a closed Taco Bell, on the corner of a very busy intersection. I set up, pull my chair out put my sign out and waited for the hoards of cars to roll in for my exceptional service.

An hour an a half later, I am up pacing ... No cars. Then I see a van pull in. Lady jumps out opens her Van doors and said how much for this. I explained to her that it would take me an hour to do, and I would hate for her and her kids to wait in the heat. That I would happily come to her house and do it for... Don't kill me guys. For $70. No seats just the carpet. I low balled it. She got excited ! Very excited. Low and behold she lived 20 minutes away. Okay appointment at 430 thou. I had a few more cars pull in and passed out my cards and talked shop and felt very productive. Engaged on my Facebook also.

I pack up my things, and head out to my very first job in 90 degree weather. I get there and notice they live in a very big farm, and the road is named after them.... Hmm. I greet her and get to work. It took me an hour, a scrubbed and cleaned the hell out of it. I was very impressed with my work ha. So was her and her husband. I showed them 1 think I was not happy with, a stain I couldn't get out. And then 1 thing I was proud of the dirtiest part that looked new now.

She reached in her pocket and pulled out her money, and said I am very impressed and do not mind paying you 100 for this job thank you for coming all the way to us. She asked for some more cards to pass out.

Bam first job, and great first customer. With a great name in town. Very happy. Yeah could have made more. But what I could have made is just payment for my name getting out there.

Plan on sitting out there again next weekend!

Attachments

• 20170820_124403.jpg
    20170820_124403.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 292

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Rather thrilling when you get your first paying customer, isn't it! Doesn't matter what they paid, they gave you money to clean their stuff! Every job is a learning experience, and each trial gives you more ammunition for the next go-round. With your positivity and your willingness to do what it takes to get rolling, I have a feeling you'll do very well indeed. :)

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
Go back to the car wash guy and ask to set up on his lot. Give him 10% of what you make and 10% of the residential biz you get from the contacts you make. Instead of making him your enemy, make him your friend. Also, tell him that you will give your customers his biz card and highly recommend his biz to all your customers.

Wal3r1

Jun 12, 2017
Winston Salem Nc
Real Name
Andrew Walker
Alright alright, another update on things.

I spoke with Ken who reached out to me here on TMF and is in my city, I picked his brain on a phone call for about an hour. Great information and was very helpful.

Thing we're still slow, no calls or anything. So I started passing my card out to everyone I know. I set up two Jobs. 1 via a Facebook post. 3 rooms. And 1 by passing my card out to a Vendor of a food truck, to clean a mini van, and 2 area rugs. So the day came .... And they both cancelled. I was dejected. Ugh... Blamed myself and everything. Then my Dad who has owned a construction company for 40 years told me, it was not you it was on thier end. That I do not know what they may have had going on. Then told me not to feel sorry for myself and to keep pushing.

Damn if I didn't get motivated. I researched Facebook Ads and post boosting, and out 30 Dollars into 1 week. Of various post. If one did well I put more money into it. If 1 didn't I cancelled it.

So $30 investment. I completed my first residential Job, $45 Dollars for 1 room and a tiny 2×3 hallway. And damn if it didn't turn out great. Then, after I got a call about doing A Kia soul, for a teacher at a local school. Then a message on Facebook about doing a Condo 2 rooms and a hall. Both of them Booked !

So I went for having my first two appointments cancel, to having done one job that paid for my advirtising and booking two jobs, within a week.
It is not much, but by God I am pumped and excited !!

And btw the first carpet I did turned out amazing!

Thanks everyone for your help!

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Congrats and remember Rome was not built in a day. Also no shame in getting a part time job to get by.

Wal3r1

Jun 12, 2017
Winston Salem Nc
Real Name
Andrew Walker
Hey Everyone,. Just wanted to provide another update, and feel compelled to, due to all the help I have gotten from everyone here. From the advice to the supplies (thanks @Scott W ) to the the Shoe covers (thanks @Mama Fen ) to @longkenn and the phone advice and talk he gave me. And of course to TMF team for providing this site.

So right now I am still running my Sandia 500 heat portable and generator out of the back of my Ford explorer.

Advirtising on Facebook only, 3 ads a day. 1 in English and 1 in Spanish, 2 rooms for $60 ad a hallway for $15.
And 1 for Vehicle Upholstery Cleaning.
I spend $9 a day three dollar budget on each ad daily.

Boy oh boy it is picking up. I have completed several Jobs. I only work the weekends. As I work 11am to 8pm Monday- Friday with my full time Job. (Good job by the way, but I want to build my own)
I will sometimes book a Vehicle cleaning at 8am during the week but not all the time.

Right now I have 3 Jobs book for Saturday, and 1 for Sunday and 1 Job booked for next Saturday. Total of $500 in bookings. So far. We have 5-6 people messaging about book and I have to say it is over whelming lol in a good way.

Trying to get my set up right. Right now my hoses (75ft, and the Sandia really works great at that length, surprisingly) seem to be what makes me look like the biggest Yahoo. Lol I need to find a small reel for them. That will fit in my truck. Just for better and quicker setup and tear down. Agitation is the longest part of the jobs right now in residential. So I need to figure a better way there.

I am still using the insane about of products @Scott W sent me. I plane to visit interlink soon when I finally get back into the black money wise. And definitely will see what all the hype is about with Rob's Secret Sauce.

I have a lot more work, and a whole lot more to learn. My prices are on the low end right now. But I am hoping by this time next year I will have made strides to were I am charging by the square feet!

That is my update so far. Again thank you everyone for you help!

Reactions: Scott W

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Any tips on this beauty?
Get green brush for a carpeting, red or blue for tile&grout. Prices vary, but you shouldn't pay more them $45 for both.
Use Veterans day promo from TMF and get yourself Groutmaster to boost your prespray and along the way, as you get stronger , revisit pawn shop for tile&grout tool ( 12"-15, spinner) . I believe your Sandia wil handle it. Other than that, praise yourselv for every success and keep breathing

Reactions: Wal3r1

Wal3r1

Jun 12, 2017
Winston Salem Nc
Real Name
Andrew Walker
It has the black brush on right now. Not sure what that one is used for. When I searched online it shows for carpet, but I am not sure.

Get green brush for a carpeting, red or blue for tile&grout. Prices vary, but you shouldn't pay more them $45 for both.
Use Veterans day promo from TMF and get yourself Groutmaster to boost your prespray and along the way, as you get stronger , revisit pawn shop for tile&grout tool ( 12"-15, spinner) . I believe your Sandia wil handle it. Other than that, praise yourselv for every success and keep breathing

Wal3r1

Jun 12, 2017
Winston Salem Nc
Real Name
Andrew Walker
So Another update on AV Carpet Care.
I am still working out of my Ford explorer. Sandia sniper 500psi. With oreck orbitor, 2 jet wand.

So Nov and Dec were great Months for me. I learned a lot from customers and how to deal with issues on job site and cleaning mostly. I have had some ready happy customers and I had some customers that don't understand why the nail polish that was on the carpet for 3 years and hit with a rug Doctor and other cleaning stuff would not come out. (I tried for free also lol). I am all 5 stars in Facebook and have 2 repeats already set up for the coming weeks.

I took Jan and Feb off to gather my self and take a step back and look at things, and ready to go again!
As I only work weekends cleaning, my next two weekends are booked , and I have not run ads in two months ! :)

The next step, considering my budget and all is to get a vac booster and run my machine from the truck.
Possibly find low profile reels for my vac hoses. Hand them from the roof of the truck by the rear passenger door. Leaving the floor open for chemicals.
Also looking into expanding to tile and grout by mid summer.
I have had to turn down commercial work, real estate and others due to not having workers comp coverage. As in North Carolina if you have 3 or more employees it is required but not if you do not.
I could get a ghost policy, but that seems to be 300-400 dollars up front.

Overall I am ready to go, ready to learn and hopefully grow my business !

Reactions: Allied and Scott W

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
So Another update on AV Carpet Care.
I am still working out of my Ford explorer. Sandia sniper 500psi. With oreck orbitor, 2 jet wand.

So Nov and Dec were great Months for me. I learned a lot from customers and how to deal with issues on job site and cleaning mostly. I have had some ready happy customers and I had some customers that don't understand why the nail polish that was on the carpet for 3 years and hit with a rug Doctor and other cleaning stuff would not come out. (I tried for free also lol). I am all 5 stars in Facebook and have 2 repeats already set up for the coming weeks.

I took Jan and Feb off to gather my self and take a step back and look at things, and ready to go again!
As I only work weekends cleaning, my next two weekends are booked , and I have not run ads in two months ! :)

The next step, considering my budget and all is to get a vac booster and run my machine from the truck.
Possibly find low profile reels for my vac hoses. Hand them from the roof of the truck by the rear passenger door. Leaving the floor open for chemicals.
Also looking into expanding to tile and grout by mid summer.
I have had to turn down commercial work, real estate and others due to not having workers comp coverage. As in North Carolina if you have 3 or more employees it is required but not if you do not.
I could get a ghost policy, but that seems to be 300-400 dollars up front.

Overall I am ready to go, ready to learn and hopefully grow my business !
Great to hear you're doing well!

The weather has been sketchy the last few weeks, so carpet's been up-and-down in Charlotte. Nice warm weather, but all the rain is making people hesitate about having their doors open and their floors wet. I think come late March, you'll have more business than you know what to do with!

And don't sweat the commercial work - down the road, if you pick up a CRB machine, you'll be able to do at least small commercial (restaurants, strip malls, etc) on your own quickly. Also, don't forget, we've got a few other TMF members in your neck of the woods too, so you can always buddy up and tackle them together.