UPDATE on AV Carpet Care | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

UPDATE on AV Carpet Care

Discussion in 'Starting Your Business' started by Wal3r1, Aug 21, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Wal3r1

Wal3r1 New Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Male
    Owner operator
    Winston Salem Nc
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hey everyone, with everyone who has help I thought about sharing an update.

I work a Monday to Friday office job, only planning on doing weekend work for now. So With the bumps in the road,stolen generator, touble getting my name out there. We started a Facebook page. FB.com/AVCarpetCare (feel free to take a look and give a like ?)
    I added my name on Google places, awaiting the verification card.
    I could sit another weekend waiting on anything anymore. So I decided, I am going to go get my Sandia Sniper, my generator (new one) and find some where to set up and put up a sign to do Car Upholstery. I went and got plastic to cover wet seats. And Saturday I found the perfect spot, a very big parking lot just down a little from a car wash, one of those nice car washes. They don't offer Upholstery Cleaning so why not. I see my sign out, pull the sniper out, and .... Her comes running... Not jogging the car wash manager. Telling me I can not do that there, we discussed a few things. But ultimately I left. I learned a lot Saturday, time it takes to get my equipment loaded and then set up and everything. I decided to court other locations and try again Sunday.

I found a closed Taco Bell, on the corner of a very busy intersection. I set up, pull my chair out put my sign out and waited for the hoards of cars to roll in for my exceptional service.

An hour an a half later, I am up pacing ... No cars. Then I see a van pull in. Lady jumps out opens her Van doors and said how much for this. I explained to her that it would take me an hour to do, and I would hate for her and her kids to wait in the heat. That I would happily come to her house and do it for... Don't kill me guys. For $70. No seats just the carpet. I low balled it. She got excited ! Very excited. Low and behold she lived 20 minutes away. Okay appointment at 430 thou. I had a few more cars pull in and passed out my cards and talked shop and felt very productive. Engaged on my Facebook also.

I pack up my things, and head out to my very first job in 90 degree weather. I get there and notice they live in a very big farm, and the road is named after them.... Hmm. I greet her and get to work. It took me an hour, a scrubbed and cleaned the hell out of it. I was very impressed with my work ha. So was her and her husband. I showed them 1 think I was not happy with, a stain I couldn't get out. And then 1 thing I was proud of the dirtiest part that looked new now.

She reached in her pocket and pulled out her money, and said I am very impressed and do not mind paying you 100 for this job thank you for coming all the way to us. She asked for some more cards to pass out.

Bam first job, and great first customer. With a great name in town. Very happy. Yeah could have made more. But what I could have made is just payment for my name getting out there.

Plan on sitting out there again next weekend!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. Smtwn janitorial

Smtwn janitorial Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +445 / 0 / -0
    Good attitude. Just keep learning and you will be fine.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,607 / 0 / -0
    Rather thrilling when you get your first paying customer, isn't it! Doesn't matter what they paid, they gave you money to clean their stuff! Every job is a learning experience, and each trial gives you more ammunition for the next go-round. With your positivity and your willingness to do what it takes to get rolling, I have a feeling you'll do very well indeed. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. longkenn

longkenn Well-Known Member

May 7, 2011
    Floor Care
    Winston-Salem, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +4,250 / 7 / -0
    Go back to the car wash guy and ask to set up on his lot. Give him 10% of what you make and 10% of the residential biz you get from the contacts you make. Instead of making him your enemy, make him your friend. Also, tell him that you will give your customers his biz card and highly recommend his biz to all your customers.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Wal3r1

Wal3r1 New Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Male
    Owner operator
    Winston Salem Nc
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Alright alright, another update on things.

I spoke with Ken who reached out to me here on TMF and is in my city, I picked his brain on a phone call for about an hour. Great information and was very helpful.

Thing we're still slow, no calls or anything. So I started passing my card out to everyone I know. I set up two Jobs. 1 via a Facebook post. 3 rooms. And 1 by passing my card out to a Vendor of a food truck, to clean a mini van, and 2 area rugs. So the day came .... And they both cancelled. I was dejected. Ugh... Blamed myself and everything. Then my Dad who has owned a construction company for 40 years told me, it was not you it was on thier end. That I do not know what they may have had going on. Then told me not to feel sorry for myself and to keep pushing.

Damn if I didn't get motivated. I researched Facebook Ads and post boosting, and out 30 Dollars into 1 week. Of various post. If one did well I put more money into it. If 1 didn't I cancelled it.

So $30 investment. I completed my first residential Job, $45 Dollars for 1 room and a tiny 2×3 hallway. And damn if it didn't turn out great. Then, after I got a call about doing A Kia soul, for a teacher at a local school. Then a message on Facebook about doing a Condo 2 rooms and a hall. Both of them Booked !

So I went for having my first two appointments cancel, to having done one job that paid for my advirtising and booking two jobs, within a week.
    It is not much, but by God I am pumped and excited !!

And btw the first carpet I did turned out amazing!

Thanks everyone for your help!

• Like Like x 2
  6. rob allen

rob allen Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Top Poster of Month

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +27,429 / 86 / -0
    Congrats and remember Rome was not built in a day. Also no shame in getting a part time job to get by.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Wal3r1

Wal3r1 New Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Male
    Owner operator
    Winston Salem Nc
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    That is right Rob! I have my Monday - Friday Job. No risk in this start up. I do not work untill 11am daily, so I can book early and weekends.

• Winner Winner x 1