Unusual situation

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I thought that SG eventually wore off and that the mill application was good for 3-5 years (depending on usage) and that application by a cleaner lasted 1-2 years (depending on usage)

I was taught thats why you need to keep the cleaning agent under 10ph. Was my IICRC instructor wrong?

Maybe a discussion for another thread?

I'm not talking about what they treat the carpet with at the mill. I"m talking about the contractor spraying SG on the carpet and the contractor removing the SG from the carpet. I think this is a valid discussion for this thread.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I thought that SG eventually wore off and that the mill application was good for 3-5 years (depending on usage) and that application by a cleaner lasted 1-2 years (depending on usage)

I was taught thats why you need to keep the cleaning agent under 10ph. Was my IICRC instructor wrong?

Maybe a discussion for another thread?
Maybe @Tom Forsythe will chime in. I remember reading an industry article a few years back that stated that factory protection would wear off to I think 50% in 5 years and I believe it said 3 cleanings. I know whoever wrote that is guessing and it's probably nowhere near correct. I've also read and heard that higher ph chems can stip off the factory protection even in one cleaning so that is why they want most carpets that have protection cleaned under a ph of 10. I'm not sure how much actual testing has been done on this stuff and I'm skeptical of a lot of it myself. I still obey the industry standard if I'm cleaning something that might be still under warranty. I also believe some factory protections are a lot harder to remove than the stuff we spray on after cleaning.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
If a rash didn't occur until 3 days after you applied the protector it's not likely the cause. If it occurred the same day and he didn't decide to see the doctor for two more then it could have been. Or could even have been a chemical you used. But most doctors are quick to suggest causes for random rashes without proper investigation. I had one tell me a rash on my shoulder was from chemical exposure at work without really even looking at it or asking me any questions to narrow the possibility. A week later I was at a dermatologist for a different reason and she was pretty curious about my rash. Told her what the other doctor had said and she rolled her eyes. She could tell from a brief look it wasn't a chemical exposure, wrong type of rash. It was from contact with fiberglass insulation. I go to a dermatologist for all questions of rashes and their causes now.

All that said, if he's willing to pay you to flush the carpet go ahead and do it. But I'd talk it over first and make sure he understands that unless the doctor tested and confirmed this was in fact the cause then you may be doing a lot of work for nothing. You aren't responsible if after he still gets a rash. Without proper testing from a dermatologist to confirm the cause, then you're just doing guess and check with his health.

Reactions: wandwizard

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
Protector applied at the mill is superior to secondary market protector since the mill is able to apply it hot. They apply the same products as we do after cleaning. Fluorochemical is removed more by friction than cleaning. Acid dye resistors are removed more by cleaning than friction. Apply more protector after cleaning in traffic areas. Application levels on the label are designed for mill protected carpet. Our Maxim Advanced for Wool instructs to apply more per square foot since most oriental rugs are not protected after completion or after sale.

Reactions: wandwizard