Ungrateful customer!

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Dam dude my goal is $10,000 a month . Hopefully one day
Just a guess but he probably has a multi truck operation going on and most likely does water damages. Say someone has a decent sized water damage. That is already 10,000 for the week. Then if you have cleanings going on the cleaning side will prob make you 10,000-15,000 more. So 20-25,000 a week. I'm just taking a wild guess because well because it's fun to guess I suppose

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Not trying to scam I just think it unfair when the customer calls and wants one room cleaned and the one room is 300 square feet. That should be considered 2 areas.

If it's just one room that happens to be a little on the large side (300 sq ft) it should be covered under your $100 minimum.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Generally it's not even a topic of conversation. I don't quote prices over the phone and if I do I always give a ballpark estimate such as telling the customer it should cost $200-250 or what ever is appropriate.

I go in and look at the carpet first then I quote the price. If it's heavily soiled then I quote a higher price than if it's lightly soiled. 99% of the time there is no discussion of how I arrived at the price but if they ask I'll tell them. Generally I up my price $10 a room if I'm scrubbing.

So what about advertised prices? I noticed you have none on your web site? Are you putting some kind of disclaimer in your ads?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
So what about advertised prices? I noticed you have none on your web site? Are you putting some kind of disclaimer in your ads?
I quit advertising prices a few years ago. one of the better moves I have made in the business.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Here's a couple of the ads I run. No pricing, just puts my name in front of the customer.

IMG_8419.JPG

IMG_8420.JPG

WWW.FiveStar-Clean.Com

Sep 12, 2013
Real Name
Michael Olson
2 rooms and hall basic cleaning usually runs $89

We have a minimum labor charge of $100 for all our jobs. I always do an on-site pre-inspection and quote
For every job. That way the customer knows exactly what it's going to require to clean the carpet and they have the actual cost to do the work.
I give a flyer to my customer that describes the cleaning process and we discuss the process in detail so that they know exactly what their expectations are. They signed off at the end of the quoting I know exactly what is going to cost before we schedule an appointment here is a copy of my flyer.
Step 1: Pre-Inspection Every great carpet cleaning starts with a proper pre-inspection. Our service technician will inspect your particular areas of concern as well as noting carpet construction, and soiling conditions. He will also advise you of any possible permanent staining
Step2:pre-Vacuum Your carpet will be pre-vacuumed to remove bonded dry soil. This is in addition to the vacuuming that takes place throughout the entire cleaning process.
Step 3: Pre-Condition & Pre-Spot Treatment Traffic areas and spots are pre-treated for more effective soil and spot removal.
Step4:pre-Grooming Your carpet will be pre-groomed with a rotating bush head (depends on the soil level) to further loosen traffic area soiling. ( at an added cost)
Step5:Extract/Rinse Once the soil has been loosened, our state-of-the-art Rotovac with 1500 multi- directional cleaning passed per minute and hot water extraction process will thoroughly rinse and scrub the carpet pile. your carpet will be cleaner and drier . This step also improves your air quality by removing the pollens ,pollutants, and dust mites, etc. from the carpet.
Step 6: Fiber Rinse Every carpet that we clean is rinsed with a PH balanced product so that there is never a sticky residue left behind. (This is a very important step that is often overlooked by other cleaners).
Step7: Maxim Advanced Carpet Protection(optional but recommended at an added cost)Carpets protected with Maxim Advanced last longer, clean up easier and stay clean longer.
Step 8: Speed Dry High velocity air movers will be placed in the room to speed dry the carpet.(When needed)
Step 9: Post Grooming The carpet pile is set in up position for faster drying and a better visual appeal when Maxim Advanced has been applied.

When the customer knows that you're taking this kind of time and effort to clean their carpet. then they don't mind parting with a few extra dollars.
I learned a long time ago never go to a customers home for less than $100 when I started out I used to be a person that was trying to compete with the cheapo's and try to match their pricing and learned I was working way too hard for way less.
Hope this helps

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
And I'm curious about something and I'd like your thoughts. So obviously I'm in this business to make money and the pictures above were 3 rooms and a hall basic cleaning for $99. Now I ended up using additives, extra passes etc., and I'm an ethical guy and don't rip people off but I lost in that job so if I'm having to put in additives and such, should I charge a little extra for that? I've found that if the business, not me because I don't pay myself now, just trying to save, can make $100 per hour then I'm doing ok. That job had me down under $50 per hour along with using extra stuff. Your thoughts on it be ethical or unethical to charge extra for that kind of stuff???
Bro when I see that condition of the carpet, I always tell the customer that the price will increase because of its condition, if he agrees then I start the work, otherwise the customer can find another company. I do this full time and just like any other business I need to make money so I can make a confi living.

I think you did a great job and more then what he paid for. When I was new in this business I use to take these type of work for less pay just to practice my skills. A job like this I would of charged him double plus tax.

Reactions: Allied

Mr.Steamer

Apr 6, 2017
Springfield, OR
www.TryMrSteamer.com
Real Name
Kevin Linn
Business Location
United States
Bro when I see that condition of the carpet, I always tell the customer that the price will increase because of its condition, if he agrees then I start the work, otherwise the customer can find another company. I do this full time and just like any other business I need to make money so I can make a confi living.

I think you did a great job and more then what he paid for. When I was new in this business I use to take these type of work for less pay just to practice my skills. A job like this I would of charged him double plus tax.
Ok that's what I was looking to hear to see if it made since or was ethical to charge more. I explain it over the phone when I talk to the customer, so they know, but just wanted to see who agreed with me.

Reactions: Fedri

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Ok that's what I was looking to hear to see if it made since or was ethical to charge more. I explain it over the phone when I talk to the customer, so they know, but just wanted to see who agreed with me.
when you show up and the carpet is more than they said or the dirty condition is worse than they said,,,, just say maam , the money I quoted on this job, is not adequate for what you have..
Usually I tell people this is just a ball park figure, I have no idea what you have while im talking on the phone so when I get to your house ill give you a better estimate of the charges your looking at..

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Just like you have said I am also open over the phone as well, I also tell them the price over the phone just like jt have said ball park figure and then I tell them that the price will be higher if there are filtration lines, countless stains, if the carpet is extremely dirty, and pet odor treatment. I do say that the price will cover few stains here and there but the stains are limited to that. If the carpet turns out to be in really bad shape when I get there then it is not worth it to be there and average $30 an hour because I can get an office job that will pay me $25 an hour Plus benefits. I need to clean minimum $60 an hour.

Reactions: Kyle8

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
Carpets are easy peezy! Charge your price when you see the job! I never bring equipment with me when I first meet with customer. I have to see what's going on, and can they pay my price. Talking about ungrateful? Had to walk on a marble job last week, been on it for 3 days! Customer kept following behind us asking a zillion questions that I have already explained to him! Glad I got the half down on first day! We completed about 85% of the work, guy was stressing us way out, we packed up all of our stuff and told him nice meeting you, and we won't be back! Total jerk! I told him you can go behind someone else now!

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor
I always tell my customer a price over the phone and stick to it. Unless they try and lie about when dinning room and living room are together and they count that as one room. I think i am leaving alot of money on the table that I should be able to get. Hopefully soon I can learn some tricks of the trade

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor
Just like you have said I am also open over the phone as well, I also tell them the price over the phone just like jt have said ball park figure and then I tell them that the price will be higher if there are filtration lines, countless stains, if the carpet is extremely dirty, and pet odor treatment. I do say that the price will cover few stains here and there but the stains are limited to that. If the carpet turns out to be in really bad shape when I get there then it is not worth it to be there and average $30 an hour because I can get an office job that will pay me $25 an hour Plus benefits. I need to clean minimum $60 an hour.
Are you using portable or truckmount$ 60$ an hour seem good but for me i like to be 75$ -100$. I think chemdry and stanley steamer are probably around 150$ 200$ an hour.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Are you using portable or truckmount$ 60$ an hour seem good but for me i like to be 75$ -100$. I think chemdry and stanley steamer are probably around 150$ 200$ an hour.
I use a portable. If I lived in the USA then I would average $100 plus an hour, our Canadian market sucks, because we have more immigrants who are willing to work for cheap, and if I get $60-$80 an hour that is way above then these cheap immigrants.

Reactions: Kyle8

AlexNess

Jun 21, 2017
Real Name
Alex Ness
You did a good job on the carpet. You are doing the right thing by getting advice from these guys, and there is a lot of good advice on this thread. Based on the pictures, you should be confident in what you are able to offer to the customer as far as quality, now just learn to get confident in charging more and how to explain it to the customer if need be. Once you do that, you probably won't have ungrateful customers anymore because those are the ones that probably wouldn't pay more than your basic cleaning price in the first place.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
It all depends on the person. Personally my goals this year is to never make less then 100,000 a month. So far I have passed that every month. To some that seems High to me its just right for now. Always set yearly goals and try to meet them. Build a plan and attack it. You'll do just fine.
So you'll be retiring soon? Unless you're multi truck operation, 100 K a month is a hefty goal for a lone wolf. Let's not forget that there are plenty of lines in accounting books to be filled and uncle Sam is hungrier than ever, so .......... It's a boost for some and more frustration for the .

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I don't see the job before cleaning it. People look me up online, book online, I call them to confirm and discuss the condition of their carpets for spots & stains etc., then I show up and go over it with them again. People know well in advance what to expect and I reiterate it once I'm in person, and like I said, most time people have no problem with it because it comes out as they had hoped. I just realized that I have been using extra chems and such and I don't want to give that cost away....to the A-hole customers anyways. Sometimes people want me to come do an estimate, but most of the time, I'd say 95% of the time, they just want to book online and have me show up.
No matter what your professional and mental preparation for the job will be, you'll meet resistance of the masses, as I call it. Always assure customer that you'll do your best in order to beautify their home. To feel confident on each and every job, make sure that your pre inspection sheet becomes a document filled with customer's concerns and pointers as well as your findings( ripped carpeting, iron and cigarettes burns) and even black holes like one you found in that particular house. If you categorize cleaning as basic, advanced and top notch, make sure that customer understands difference in appearance of carpeting and price structure for said categories. As example,I'm going to use ink removal process. Depending on scale of ink saturation, it's fairly easy, fairly quick and fairly effective task. All you need is the right product($), know-how($) and time($) = $$$.
No matter how good of sale person you are, you'll loose some battles and it's all right. You go to bed knowing that you did your best and you earned your pay. No magic wand involved....

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
And I'm curious about something and I'd like your thoughts. So obviously I'm in this business to make money and the pictures above were 3 rooms and a hall basic cleaning for $99. Now I ended up using additives, extra passes etc., and I'm an ethical guy and don't rip people off but I lost in that job so if I'm having to put in additives and such, should I charge a little extra for that? I've found that if the business, not me because I don't pay myself now, just trying to save, can make $100 per hour then I'm doing ok. That job had me down under $50 per hour along with using extra stuff. Your thoughts on it be ethical or unethical to charge extra for that kind of stuff???
I wouldn't have touched that carpet for less than 250. That was a restoration job. To offer anything less is only inviting trouble. Not saying you did a bad job because you didn't. It's just that if you charged right you wouldn't have such a bad taste in your mouth.