Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
2 rooms and hall basic cleaning usually runs $89
I don't really have set prices,, it depends on the house , what they are driving , what the inside of the house looks like. You live in a 500k house and have a Mercedes in the drive way,, the price just went up...

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
what are you prespraying with?
This is only my perspective , I try to find a good basic powder that works really good and is cheap and that's my mainstay,,,

By saying that, looking at your pics, I would have doubled up on the chems and not used the boosters persay because its a residential... When I go to interlink, if they have anything that works good on sale ill pick up a couple of cases just for such jobs with cheap customers so I can ensure proper job quality... CHems are the cheap part of our business ! My labor and my knowledge of the job is what im charging for. @Scott W will tell you that experience tells you how to handle these things so you can avoid them in the future. Scott points us to products all the time and Rob sells very good products too... But you need a Mainstay chem that you use on normal jobs so you can learn what it does, and you can guage how much to use... Todd uses a very good mainstay chem for basic cleanings...

I charge for scrubbing,, I double the cleaning charge to pull out my scrubber because its extra effort..... Pitching in extra chems to me is very cheap spray it rake it and extract ! But 99% of the time I can say "Sir with the amount of soiling and stains involved,, by scrubbing it I can get it 20 times cleaner than I could without, but it will double the cost of the job. Oh and that black stain is going to run you an extra 50 bucks to remove or patch,,, Then I go back to inspecting and getting ready but before I get the signature on the work order I ask if they are ok with me charging more to scrub and to remove the black spot...
Even if they say no,, im gonna do my damnest to get that carpet as good as I can get and if im not happy ill rip out the scrubber for free and do it. I had a lady once say Sir im not paying for that process!!! I said its ok Maam I just cant leave your carpet that way, my conscious would kill me all nite.... Ususally after seeing that they will pay the charge...

Some haven't though.

Every job you do is your calling card,, people will brag about you if you do great,, but they will bad mouth you if you don't make them happy...

That's 100% business owner right there! Kill it on every job no matter what, but get paid for it!!! Definitely advice to live by.

lmullica

Dec 27, 2009
Johnston, Iowa
www.mullicacarpetcare.com
Real Name
Larry Mullica
Business Location
United States
So the way I see this is you are giving a price over the phone, $89 for 2 rooms and a hall for instance. That will be the last thing the customer hears. $89. Then you show up to the job and see it will take more work and you add to the $89. Customer sees bait and switch. Like Todd and Randy posted above, you shouldn't give any pricing over the phone. If you do, you'd better be ready to stand by your price. Wait until you see the carpet and the extent of dirt before quoting.

Mr.Steamer

Apr 6, 2017
Springfield, OR
www.TryMrSteamer.com
Real Name
Kevin Linn
Business Location
United States
This is only my perspective , I try to find a good basic powder that works really good and is cheap and that's my mainstay,,,

By saying that, looking at your pics, I would have doubled up on the chems and not used the boosters persay because its a residential... When I go to interlink, if they have anything that works good on sale ill pick up a couple of cases just for such jobs with cheap customers so I can ensure proper job quality... CHems are the cheap part of our business ! My labor and my knowledge of the job is what im charging for. @Scott W will tell you that experience tells you how to handle these things so you can avoid them in the future. Scott points us to products all the time and Rob sells very good products too... But you need a Mainstay chem that you use on normal jobs so you can learn what it does, and you can guage how much to use... Todd uses a very good mainstay chem for basic cleanings...

I charge for scrubbing,, I double the cleaning charge to pull out my scrubber because its extra effort..... Pitching in extra chems to me is very cheap spray it rake it and extract ! But 99% of the time I can say "Sir with the amount of soiling and stains involved,, by scrubbing it I can get it 20 times cleaner than I could without, but it will double the cost of the job. Oh and that black stain is going to run you an extra 50 bucks to remove or patch,,, Then I go back to inspecting and getting ready but before I get the signature on the work order I ask if they are ok with me charging more to scrub and to remove the black spot...
Even if they say no,, im gonna do my damnest to get that carpet as good as I can get and if im not happy ill rip out the scrubber for free and do it. I had a lady once say Sir im not paying for that process!!! I said its ok Maam I just cant leave your carpet that way, my conscious would kill me all nite.... Ususally after seeing that they will pay the charge...

Some haven't though.

Every job you do is your calling card,, people will brag about you if you do great,, but they will bad mouth you if you don't make them happy...
My go to prespray is usually grease eraser or maybe saigers

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor
It all depends on the person. Personally my goals this year is to never make less then 100,000 a month. So far I have passed that every month. To some that seems High to me its just right for now. Always set yearly goals and try to meet them. Build a plan and attack it. You'll do just fine.
Dam dude my goal is $10,000 a month . Hopefully one day

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor

Some haven't though.

You my friend are a legend

Nick M.

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Nick M.
On occupied units, I always do worst area first and ask if they are satisfied. If so I move forward and complete. If not, I tell them "sorry I was not able to clean the carpets to your standards. You are welcome to try a different carpet cleaner". And I charge them nothing and black list in my book. Cut my loss of 1hr and move on.

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
On occupied units, I always do worst area first and ask if they are satisfied. If so I move forward and complete. If not, I tell them "sorry I was not able to clean the carpets to your standards. You are welcome to try a different carpet cleaner". And I charge them nothing and black list in my book. Cut my loss of 1hr and move on.

Hey Nick,
Don't ever leave, throw the door open for another cleaner and not get paid mate
Like Jeff said in post #39
Pull out your big guns if you have to but you worked and deserve to get paid something! Show them as your working, your process, what you have to do next...scrubbing, recleaning with boosted chems etc
Explain the next step is going to cost x
Or explain that it normally costs, buuut this time you are willing to do the "$50 power scrub for free" because you can't stand not to do your best...
Another 20mins respraying scrubbing and extracting again is worth the full original pay check anyday, and then some
Sell it and yourself!!
Be fussy as hell, stand by your work and get paid what you're worth!!

Reactions: StevenB.

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
So the way I see this is you are giving a price over the phone, $89 for 2 rooms and a hall for instance. That will be the last thing the customer hears. $89. Then you show up to the job and see it will take more work and you add to the $89. Customer sees bait and switch. Like Todd and Randy posted above, you shouldn't give any pricing over the phone. If you do, you'd better be ready to stand by your price. Wait until you see the carpet and the extent of dirt before quoting.
It's ok to give pricing over the phone as long as you make them aware it could go up once you get there. This is my line:
"Without being there and seeing it and taking any measurements, your estimate would be AROUND the 'x' range".
That works for me and never had any problems. Just make sure to ask the customer tons of preliminary questions to gage your estimate.

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
Just say 3 room for 99 Max 450 square feet. In small print put 40cent per square foot after the 450 square feet
I don't agree with that small print crap. That's deceiving and you come across as a scammer when you raise the price. Just be honest and upfront with the customer. That's the best way to do business.

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
Set the expectations to the customer during the walk around. As a professional with experience, you should have a general idea of what results will be. Get a feel of what the customer is expecting and if they don't match to your expectations, then walk. Let them know the cleaning will be a waste of their money and they'll be appreciative, not mad.

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor
I don't agree with that small print crap. That's deceiving and you come across as a scammer when you raise the price. Just be honest and upfront with the customer. That's the best way to do business.
Not trying to scam I just think it unfair when the customer calls and wants one room cleaned and the one room is 300 square feet. That should be considered 2 areas.

Reactions: Bauhaus1082

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
Not trying to scam I just think it unfair when the customer calls and wants one room cleaned and the one room is 300 square feet. That should be considered 2 areas.
Then make sure you let the customer know that ahead of time. "Well ma'am you didn't read the fine print!". No man. That's hack shiit. Be completely up front with the customer. Best way to do business.

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
No I am frustrated with myself for the way I charged, but my frustration with the customer come from the idea that he was a cheap, rude ass customer who got far better results than he deserved for what he paid, and he still complained. I know those people exist, and maybe I've just been lucky enough to never encounter one until now. I'm a polite guy and I appreciate when a job is done well, even more so when it's a better job than I pay for, and it just leaves a sour taste to have such ungrateful people sometimes.
The real kicker will be when he calls you again