Unemployment Claim

Dougie "fresh-clean"

Oct 10, 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
Real Name
Doug Nelson
Business Location
United States
Had to let a tech go that missed a lot of workdays and I got a lot of complaints on... now got an unemployment claim letter. Didn’t see it for a few days, too late to send info in before the deadline, how screwed am I? Anyone else dealt with paying UI? Could last a full year.

J20770

Premium VIP
Jan 14, 2019
Real Name
Jason Dumont
You can still send in your side of the story, at least it will be in his file. You won't notice anything until next year and then your rates will go up a little bit for a year or two and then drop down again.

In the future make sure that you document everything with write ups, make sure you include a 'corrective action' plan possible retraining(just go over everything in a day or two). Make sure in the write ups that you make it clear that termination will follow if improvement is not seen. That is how you get out of paying unemployment. Of course if an emp was fired for something illegal, thats different and there is no time for write ups or corrective action.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Had to let a tech go that missed a lot of workdays and I got a lot of complaints on... now got an unemployment claim letter. Didn’t see it for a few days, too late to send info in before the deadline, how screwed am I? Anyone else dealt with paying UI? Could last a full year.
I don't know your state does it, but in NC (since we're a "work at will" state), an unemployment claim is typically denied if the employee was fired for cause - misconduct, illegal or immoral activity, etc.

As a manager for a large hardware chain, I was often included on the conference calls when a claim was filed, and typically the manager or owner stating that the employee was fired for cause, and giving the specifics of that cause, was grounds to deny the claim. A judge or other decision-making official would be on the call, along with the claimant, a rep from the unemployment office, any pertinent store management staff, and sometimes even a lawyer or two.

In several dozen cases, I only ever saw us 'lose' one (as in, the employee got unemployment). It's easy to get emotionally fired-up, particularly if the claimant seems like a lazy no-good booger who just wants free money. But at heart, it's all about facts, documentation, and the right to hold people accountable.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Here in Tennessee and I think most other states, unemployment fees are based on two things. The total reserve fund the state has from which claims are paid and the company owns reserve based on history.

If a company has had many employees over a long time with no history of claims, they build-up a reserve; their fees get progressively lower over time as that reserve grows. When claims are filed and money is coming out of that reserve, the unemployment fee charged increases.

The effect of one claim by one employee can be huge if that is your only employee and he did not work long before filing the claim. There is no reserve to draw on. On the other hand if you had several employees over many years, the effect of one claim is limited.

SMCommerical

Feb 8, 2018
Real Name
Mike C
You can be pretty screwed unless you have some write ups to show on why he was released. If you document and spoke with him about his missed days and did some sort of corrective action. I had to deal with this a couple months ago, and I also missed the deadline. It can hurt you but it is better to report it anyway, but you will be asked by the judge on why you were late and be sure to give a good reason to avoid giving him the auto win.

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
get over it, quit being a cry baby, move on and raise your prices a penny an sq ft and your good to go.

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
Unless your deadline is tomorrow or has already passed, you have time to reply. Also, keep a file and go through your mail daily. Put urgent stuff, i.e. unemployment claims, in your urgent file that has to be dealt with on a daily basis. It is part of running a business - A very critical part.

Keep written records. Document verbal correctives. Document written correctives that include what you expect in the future.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
You can always appeal also

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
In Pa. the system is very heavily weighed in favor of the employee . As above with documentation etc.
Unless you’re willing to spend hours and attorney fees ........ leave it alone . JMHO .
All the Best , Ed

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
In Pa. the system is very heavily weighed in favor of the employee . As above with documentation etc.
Unless you’re willing to spend hours and attorney fees ........ leave it alone . JMHO .
All the Best , Ed
Sad, but true. Thanks Obama. :mad:

• Wow
Reactions: Odin

Dougie "fresh-clean"

Oct 10, 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
Real Name
Doug Nelson
Business Location
United States
get over it, quit being a cry baby, move on and raise your prices a penny an sq ft and your good to go.
I just didn’t know if I am gonna be directly paying his benefits for a year or what. That’s I’m posting to find out... no biggie? Great, no biggie. If I’m writing out $13k+ in checks for an employee who’s not here anymore... then dang, I might not ever hire again.

Last edited:

Dougie "fresh-clean"

Oct 10, 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
Real Name
Doug Nelson
Business Location
United States
You can't appeal if you lose due to missing a filing deadline. They figure that if you didn't care enough to file on time, you just don't care enough to deserve an appeal.
Only missed the deadline because their website took too long to “verify” my new registration after the mail day a couple days (I only read mail weekly anyway) If the state would streamline their system so returns, payments, and claims are all on the same website woulda been done.