Two Cops trying their luck in carpet cleaning need help.

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
I rarely even run 150ft 90-95% I can do with 100 ft but he is right if you will run 200ft or more constantly then your best bet is a TM.
I agree, 75 to 100 feet will reach residential homes easily. I use 75 feet most of the time with my etm. Has a lot of suction at 100 feet.

Reactions: Troyster

Shockmin

Premium VIP
Mar 23, 2013
Real Name
Jeff
I have the US products portable Solus 500r. This machine only comes with 15'
of hose. I bought an additional 25' but hardly use it. Surprisingly the 15' works great and has more than enough suction. Every 15 minutes or so I have to push the machine back but I'm getting it down to a science and taking 1/2 the time it used to. All my customers are extremely surprised with the dirty water that can be physically seen in my dump bucket. My heat is hot enough that I've already got a few burns on my hands and forearms. When I've had to use the extra feet of hose the results were very good. I went with US products because their machines are intelligently designed and are built on a dolly model which rolls with ease up stairs and into my tiny SUV. I haven't used Mytee but that's mostly what's endorsed in this forum which must be a good thing. I didn't go with Mytee because they didn't have a dolly design and as a one man show couldn't physically lift it. Another major reason is that their corporate website has no phone number and offers only email support. I emailed them a few times and never heard back. US products picks the phone up right away every time. One more note is all the compliments my clients give on how big and appealing the US product machine looks. Personally I think the Mytee looks like a blue garbage can...

www.zencarpetcleaningandflooring.com

Steamin' Seaman

Jun 15, 2010
Maine
Real Name
Buddy
Business Location
United States
I have a Powerflite Blackmax porty with 2-3 stage vac's.
I can pit clean a thick wool rug and extract it with the porty and it is still on the wet side. With 20' hose.
If I use the El Diablo TM to extract the rugs out they are much drier. Same rug with 60' of hose.

So really no one here is going to tell me that a short vac hose run on a porty can do the same job as a decent TM. Didn't work in my shop anyway.

Shockmin

Premium VIP
Mar 23, 2013
Real Name
Jeff
I can pit clean a thick wool rug and extract it with the porty and it is still on the wet side. With 20' hose.
If I use the El Diablo TM to extract the rugs out they are much drier. Same rug with 60' of hose.

So really no one here is going to tell me that a short vac hose run on a porty can do the same job as a decent TM. Didn't work in my shop anyway.
So are you saying that your TM sucks more than a portable?

Kurt Harris

Mar 22, 2013
Real Name
Kurt
The EZ Portable Spot Extractor is ideal for spot removal or quick touch-ups in between regular carpet cleanings in homes, offices, schools, and other commercial buildings.
  • Lightweight mini-extractor
  • Ideal for quick touch ups and spot removal
  • 55-PSI pump
  • 3-gallon solution and recovery tanks
  • 8-foot vacuum and solution hoses
Mytee 1003dx is great option. :)

Mario38

Apr 8, 2013
Real Name
Mario DiGiovanni

It's like Master Jasper says : Take 2 different manufactures, each makes the exact same product. One guy will like one better and the other guy will like the other better. Portables or TM they both work, and you can do a good job with both. I wish everybody the very best success!

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz
OK , I want a porty that has 2000 psi, consistant heat over 230 degrees, 500+cfm, and I want to run it on 2 -15 amp cords...where can a find such a porty?
I don't know but if you find one I want one too.:p

sent from Galaxy NoteII

Responder

Sep 16, 2012
Pikesville, MD
Real Name
Chaim Kessler
Business Location
United States
images
images
I doubt they get called by coupon shoppers into seedy neighborhoods.

Reactions: Scott W

Robbdny

Aug 20, 2012
North Carolina
Real Name
Rob Antonelli
Business Location
United States
Me and my partner are looking to start a carpet cleaning business and are trying to figure out what portable machine to get. We are now looking at Mytee 1003DX and would like some input on this.
I want something powerful enough that I can leave in the van.
Thanks,

Gentlemen,
The biggest problem asking a question like that is your going to get a 100 different answers. I am new to the carpet business and just like any business the 1st thing you want to do is get some training and know how under your belt. You need to goto the IICRC Web Site http://iicrc.org/education-certification/course-schedule/

Do some research on some of the different schools out there you will want to take that is your CCT or Certified Carpet Technician Class first. I went to one in GA that was a 3 day instead of the typical 2 day and there was plenty of hands on. I received my training from the Cleaners Coach both Bruce and his wife are very hands on people while teaching that was what I wanted. http://www.cleanerscoach.com/

Thinking back to when I wanted to get into carpet cleaning about 10 months ago I should have done that 1st. You will learn the core competencies that all carpet cleaners should know. I know there are guys that have never taken a class on the forums that forgot more then most people know but this will give you and your business partner's a great foundation. Where I went they covered all the different types of cleaning, you were able to use truck mount and portable cleaners one of them being the Mytee 1003DX all the different wands and gadgets.

What I really like is I can go back at anytime and take a refresher course for free. There is alot more to carpet cleaning that I ever thought and I have an engineering background. Some people may disagree but I will guarantee you 100% you will not regret it. Not to mention they offer great deals on equipment to the students that have taken the class. My instructor gives out his business card with a cell number and recommends you call him when ever needed. And throughout the class he takes an unbiased approach twords the different brands but he will help lead you in the right direction if that makes sense.

What I like is he and his wife ran one of the most successful carpet cleaning companies in his city and they prided themselves on being the most expensive and not for everyone. I am sure people will have negative and positives to my opinion on your direction. But that's exactly what it is my opinion. I am more then happy to share where I went and any questions you have. He will also come to you and if there are enough of you and your business partners it may be the way to go. Having run other successful business in the past I would say this is an avenue you should consider taking. You will be able to hit the ground with some momentum and having the necessary knowledge to get your company started.

Good luck to you and feel free to message me should you have any other questions. If I offended anyone by my suggestions I apologize.

Take Care,
Robb

Reactions: Scott W

AdmiralClean

Poster
Premium VIP
Mar 13, 2007
Alabama
Unfortunately, you have stumbled on that one bulletin board where the average cleaners age is probably in the low to mid 20's.

There have been one or two veterans who have posted on this thread (who don't have a portable they are trying to sell you) who have told you the truth. I am another.

You can NOT run a successful cleaning business with low rate equipment for very long. Portable machines will allow you to get started and you can "get by" with them for only a short period of time.

If you want to be a professional cleaner, find a way to get yourself professional equipment.

Since both of you guys are employed, consider going to Butlersystems.com and price one of their pre-owned mounts. You probably can get financing and will have a really well built, reconditioned rig that you can actually do some serious cleaning with.

Not a plastic toy to play around with for a year until you learn better ...