Two Cops trying their luck in carpet cleaning need help.

GPD CARPET MAN

May 20, 2013
Real Name
robert
Me and my partner are looking to start a carpet cleaning business and are trying to figure out what portable machine to get. We are now looking at Mytee 1003DX and would like some input on this.
I want something powerful enough that I can leave in the van.
Thanks,​

Artie09

Premium VIP
Dec 17, 2012
Azusa , CA
Real Name
Arturo Ortiz jr.
Business Location
United States
Me and my partner are looking to start a carpet cleaning business and are trying to figure out what portable machine to get. We are now looking at Mytee 1003DX and would like some input on this.
I want something powerful enough that I can leave in the van.
Thanks,​

If your set on getting a portable you can leave in the van, you will need an inline booster. The portable is only really good at 50' -75' max. After that you need a booster which is a smaller extractor. Most jobs you will need about 150'.

a heated portable is not really that good because the rate of water being dispensed will surpass the heaters ability to heat water at the desired temperature.
And having a heater, decreases power to your vacuum motors. Also, they tend to wear out much faster because of that heated. An inline heater close to the wand is best choice, look at the mytee hot turbo.
I own the mytee ltd5. Good machine

Reactions: GPD CARPET MAN

Shockmin

Premium VIP
Mar 23, 2013
Real Name
Jeff
I have the US products portable Solus 500r. This machine only comes with 15'
of hose. I bought an additional 25' but hardly use it. Surprisingly the 15' works great and has more than enough suction. Every 15 minutes or so I have to push the machine back but I'm getting it down to a science and taking 1/2 the time it used to. All my customers are extremely surprised with the dirty water that can be physically seen in my dump bucket. My heat is hot enough that I've already got a few burns on my hands and forearms. When I've had to use the extra feet of hose the results were very good. I went with US products because their machines are intelligently designed and are built on a dolly model which rolls with ease up stairs and into my tiny SUV. I haven't used Mytee but that's mostly what's endorsed in this forum which must be a good thing. I didn't go with Mytee because they didn't have a dolly design and as a one man show couldn't physically lift it. Another major reason is that their corporate website has no phone number and offers only email support. I emailed them a few times and never heard back. US products picks the phone up right away every time. One more note is all the compliments my clients give on how big and appealing the US product machine looks. Personally I think the Mytee looks like a blue garbage can...

www.zencarpetcleaningandflooring.com

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
I have the US products portable Solus 500r. This machine only comes with 15'
of hose. I bought an additional 25' but hardly use it. Surprisingly the 15' works great and has more than enough suction. Every 15 minutes or so I have to push the machine back but I'm getting it down to a science and taking 1/2 the time it used to. All my customers are extremely surprised with the dirty water that can be physically seen in my dump bucket. My heat is hot enough that I've already got a few burns on my hands and forearms. When I've had to use the extra feet of hose the results were very good. I went with US products because their machines are intelligently designed and are built on a dolly model which rolls with ease up stairs and into my tiny SUV. I haven't used Mytee but that's mostly what's endorsed in this forum which must be a good thing. I didn't go with Mytee because they didn't have a dolly design and as a one man show couldn't physically lift it. Another major reason is that their corporate website has no phone number and offers only email support. I emailed them a few times and never heard back. US products picks the phone up right away every time. One more note is all the compliments my clients give on how big and appealing the US product machine looks. Personally I think the Mytee looks like a blue garbage can...

www.zencarpetcleaningandflooring.com
Coffee spittake. Lol

johnnygraham88

Jan 28, 2012
MN
BreezeCarpetClean.com
Real Name
Johnny Graham
Business Location
United States
Is there a reason your looking for a portable over a truckmount? I had a portable for a year and only paid about 1k more for my truckmount and wish i would of had one from the beginning....has made my life a lot easier. I think the jaguar 6.6 you could leave in the van but you would be a heater unless you want to try your hand at cleaning with cold water....Call me of you want, I was new to this a year ago....I could try to give you some pointers

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
Pardon my bluntness... but you're crazy! You can buy a used TM van set up for not too much more than a high end portable. And "powerful enough to leave in the van" is a myth. Sure everything CAN be left in the van and yes, some portables are strong enough to "leave" in the van but the operation of said portable would get old, real old, real soon. And that "strong enough" portable would cost enough to be the equivalent of that used tm I referred to.

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Missoula, Montana, United States
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States
images
images

idahofallscarpetcleaners

Jan 9, 2012
Idaho
www.idahofallscarpetcleaners.com
Real Name
Patrick Ianuzi
Business Location
United States
I started my business with a mytee 1003dx. But never left it in the van for many of the reasons above and a few others. It has a 12 gallon fresh water tank and 12 gallon dirty water tank which means you will be filling and dumping this thing several times at each job. I would normally set it up near the front door most average size homes you can have a 75' hose run to the furthest point from the front door. Larger homes I had to bring it inside. Leaving it by the front door was the easiest for dumping and refilling I would just water the grass to dump it and if the house was not to dirty I would fill it with cold water from the outside hose. If the carpets were dirty I would have to fill it with hot water from the house which meant carrying buckets of water. The biggest pain in the neck was power. You have to find two 20 amp circuts to plug into I was tripping circuit breakers and on the older houses fuses all the time which is a huge waste of time. Make sure you have a bunch of spare fuses in your truck at all times. All those things being said I ran the porty for about a year saved up cash and bought a nice truckmount machine. Would I go back to using a porty? Nope but it did help me start my business debt free and I still am debt free. Some positive for starting out with a portable machine are it holds its value better than a truckmount if things don't work out and you have to sell your equipment. They are much easier to repair by yourself when things did break I could usually make the repair right on the job I would keep a few spares of the things that break on hand. Your operating costs are much lower. You can bring it inside during the winter so you don't have to heat your van or garage. Its an expensive lesson one you don't want to learn if your truck mount freezes. It can get expensive if your porty freezes it can put you out of business if your truckmount freezes.

Anolog139

Nov 7, 2012
Linden Michigan
Real Name
Matthew Smith
Business Location
United States
Pardon my bluntness... but you're crazy! You can buy a used TM van set up for not too much more than a high end portable. And "powerful enough to leave in the van" is a myth. Sure everything CAN be left in the van and yes, some portables are strong enough to "leave" in the van but the operation of said portable would get old, real old, real soon. And that "strong enough" portable would cost enough to be the equivalent of that used tm I referred to.
I disagree... If they are just starting out on a smaller budget, then a brand new high end portable that can be left in the truck ( like a Jaguar 6.6 ) should be the route. There's a lot to go wrong on used equipment and a TM is not always cheap to fix. That can kill a starting business before they even start...

Mario38

Apr 8, 2013
Real Name
Mario DiGiovanni
Start your business off right. If you use a portable then don't leave it in the van. You will not have the vacuum you will need and will leave carpets much to wet and dirty.

Ed Valentine

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan, USA
cross-american.com
Real Name
Ed Valentine
Business Location
United States
Mario;

Start your business off right. If you use a portable then don't leave it in the van. You will not have the vacuum you will need and will leave carpets much to wet and dirty.

Respectfully, that may have been true long ago, however, not anymore. That is, depending on the particular system selected nowadays! In fact, I would wager that "The Dirt Hunter" above uses it from the truck without overwetting or leaving carpets dirty. And, after knowing him, I'll also wager that he does a great job perhaps beyond many.

But, I understand that you may only have had experience with the Generic Squirt & Suck type portables.

Just wanted to clear up that fallacy.

Best always;
Ed Valentine
cross-american.com

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz
I do have to agree, a portable can and I do run from the van very successfully and used as an ETM. Believe me my dry times are great and so is quality. When I say I would of liked to start off with a new TM it is not to improve my quality, it is meant more for set/break up times for those 2 or 3 room jobs.
I have only pulled my machine out once from the van and that was because the driveway was blocked by a dumpster.

Mario38

Apr 8, 2013
Real Name
Mario DiGiovanni
Mario;

Respectfully, that may have been true long ago, however, not anymore. That is, depending on the particular system selected nowadays! In fact, I would wager that "The Dirt Hunter" above uses it from the truck without overwetting or leaving carpets dirty. And, after knowing him, I'll also wager that he does a great job perhaps beyond many.

But, I understand that you may only have had experience with the Generic Squirt & Suck type portables.

Just wanted to clear up that fallacy.

Best always;
Ed Valentine
cross-american.com

Believe me I'm not trying to insult anyone, and I don't have a problem with portables when used right. We are running 200+ feet all the time with our TM and in my opinion it can't be done with any portable, and I have used all types of portables in my 24 years doing this. My TM is the single best decision I have made in my business, and I have also made it my best marketing tool.

Anolog139

Nov 7, 2012
Linden Michigan
Real Name
Matthew Smith
Business Location
United States
Believe me I'm not trying to insult anyone, and I don't have a problem with portables when used right. We are running 200+ feet all the time with our TM and in my opinion it can't be done with any portable, and I have used all types of portables in my 24 years doing this. My TM is the single best decision I have made in my business, and I have also made it my best marketing tool.
If your running 200+ ft of hose on a regular basis then that's rare. I haven't used over 150 ft in the last 5 months. My portable stays in the trailer. I respectfully disagree.

Reactions: Troyster