Turmeric | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Turmeric

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
They said yes. I just got to pick it up when is ready. I hope the installer lets me know. They did not let me cut it when I was there.

If you get it can I have half of it Martin? I'd like to try and bleach it and dye it.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
If you get it can I have half of it Martin? I'd like to try and bleach it and dye it.
I have remnants of nice nylon carpet in hte garage that I used to use to practice repairs, I will buy turmeric and stain them to practice. a will order a 20w uv light (electric though)

Will practice and see what works best.

I'm planning to use the method Steve recommended
The uv light by itself
and a combo Steve's method and uv light

We will be removing turmeric stains for sure with different methods and approaches.

I will also clean some carpets with hot water and conventional pre-sprays so we can see what type of results we can achieve once it has been touched by others.

This will be an interesting thing to do.

SAA

Jul 12, 2008
NC
www.thecarpetsurgeons.com
Real Name
Steve Andrews
Business Location
United States
Martin,

That is the way to make all of this your own, do the work yourself and prove to your self what can and cannot be done.

I will look forward to whatever you come up with, I am sure it will be a great learning experience for you and all of us.

SAA

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I probably should learn the UV light method but I just don't have the time to waste on spots of that nature,, I would have patched it so fast and been done with the job.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
I probably should learn the UV light method but I just don't have the time to waste on spots of that nature,, I would have patched it so fast and been done with the job.
yep; that was my initial approach. but the owner said NO! He got pissed.
tenant already paid like 300 carpet cleaning
I said I would charge $150 to try and remove the spot regardless of outcome

He said I would much rather pay for new one. so that is an 11x16 so you know how much waste of carpet is involved and if you look at it, it's not cheap
so he may even call again.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I bet I could of bleached it out and then dyes it. Just saying.
Have you ever tried bleaching a mustard stain? I wonder if bleach would remove mustard or not.

For that matter, could you take the yellow that is there since it's as stable as dye and then just add the appropriate amount of red and blue to get the color back to what it should be?

Might be worth playing around with your dye app and see if that would work.

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
Have you ever tried bleaching a mustard stain? I wonder if bleach would remove mustard or not.

For that matter, could you take the yellow that is there since it's as stable as dye and then just add the appropriate amount of red and blue to get the color back to what it should be?

'Todd, If yellow is left behind ,adding red blue to it will make a much darker spot/stain.

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
yep; that was my initial approach. but the owner said NO! He got pissed.
tenant already paid like 300 carpet cleaning
I said I would charge $150 to try and remove the spot regardless of outcome

He said I would much rather pay for new one. so that is an 11x16 so you know how much waste of carpet is involved and if you look at it, it's not cheap
so he may even call again.
Shoot, if you can use that carpet , see if you can have it!!! to HIM it is trash!

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
mama fen,

I really do not know but it would be worth testing it out.

I would think, if you were to lay out a lot of different samples and then used different products, and record them, this would help all your guys to have a good idea of what would and would not do something. For example this product, Make some mustard stains on different types of carpet, let it sit for a good amount of time, even in the sun, and then test and document the results. This would sell a lot of product for you. Just my thoughts.

Let us know if you ever try it on mustard.

SAA
CTI had "Must-Go" way back--- got it , did not work for me. assume the same type of stain

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
'Todd, If yellow is left behind ,adding red blue to it will make a much darker spot/stain.
Yeah, I don't know the first thing about dying carpet. I'm just thinking out loud here of different ways to possibly deal with this.

SAA

Jul 12, 2008
NC
Real Name
Steve Andrews
Business Location
United States
Some things that may help understand turmeric (the dye in mustard), it is something like 3-5 times as strong of a dye as the typical dyes used in carpet.
Two things affect it, Light and Very strong alkaline.
This is why the UV light will degrade it and cause the color to lessen. It is also why a very strong paste, very strong alkaline and heat will sometimes break the bond, if someone else has not set the dye, as discussed earlier. Oxidation in itself does not seem to affect the color as it will in the typical acid dye. So, when using boost all and protein spotter, it is more of a matter of breaking the 'bond' the turmeric has rather than trying to de-colorize it. It is more the matter of a strong alkaline than a oxidation process.

Due to this, it would be very unlikely that you could remove the dye by 'bleaching' and then re-color. Of course, if you can play with this and try it, why not, you may develop something pretty neat. The question that comes up, have you ever tried to remove color and re-dye completely? It has not proved to be as simple as it sounds.

SAA

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Some things that may help understand turmeric (the dye in mustard), it is something like 3-5 times as strong of a dye as the typical dyes used in carpet.
Two things affect it, Light and Very strong alkaline.
This is why the UV light will degrade it and cause the color to lessen. It is also why a very strong paste, very strong alkaline and heat will sometimes break the bond, if someone else has not set the dye, as discussed earlier. Oxidation in itself does not seem to affect the color as it will in the typical acid dye. So, when using boost all and protein spotter, it is more of a matter of breaking the 'bond' the turmeric has rather than trying to de-colorize it. It is more the matter of a strong alkaline than a oxidation process.

Due to this, it would be very unlikely that you could remove the dye by 'bleaching' and then re-color. Of course, if you can play with this and try it, why not, you may develop something pretty neat. The question that comes up, have you ever tried to remove color and re-dye completely? It has not proved to be as simple as it sounds.

SAA
I have tried reducers before on stains, bleach, oxidizers,, I even tried Boiling water with GM in it create a high hot ph remover to dissolve up the spots I was trying on,,, never really worked because it destroyed the dye sites...

So I decided patching was the best result for this because it was fast, easy clean and I could charge more money than a spot dye or stain removal.

SAA

Jul 12, 2008
NC
Real Name
Steve Andrews
Business Location
United States
Jeff,

Using these items and the manner they are used are quite different in the application. Having said that, I love being able to Surgically remove the damaged area and surgically implant the donor piece (phraseology is everything).

I do agree with you that this is a very viable solution to remove and replace with a donor that looks correct and makes it 'like new'. Both may work, a lot depends on who is doing what as well as the consumer.

Do I think everyone should learn how to R&R, absolutely. The more options we have the more we can produce.

SAA

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Jeff,

Using these items and the manner they are used are quite different in the application. Having said that, I love being able to Surgically remove the damaged area and surgically implant the donor piece (phraseology is everything).

I do agree with you that this is a very viable solution to remove and replace with a donor that looks correct and makes it 'like new'. Both may work, a lot depends on who is doing what as well as the consumer.

Do I think everyone should learn how to R&R, absolutely. The more options we have the more we can produce.

SAA
yes sir,, I tell my guys all the time, every patch you make gains you experience ,, doesn't matter if its the first or the 349th patch,, I bet ive made over 20k patches easily over all the years and apts I did in the past. Patches are great money and to me they free money

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States

No I've never tried to bleach out a mustard stain. That's why I wanted a sample from @Pinosan. Yellow is the most stable color, and I could add the missing colors and get it back in the same color family, but it be a darker version of it. Hence the need to lighten it up first.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location