Turd Polishing

fuzzsucker

Jul 14, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Real Name
Robert Yockel
Cleaned one today that I was doing my best to walk off. Huge burns, bleach, 100's of unknown stains, and matte black traffic patterns and on top of that 30+ years old. They just wouldn't let me leave. She swore up and down they looked that way when she moved in and she just needed a receipt to prove she had it cleaned. I was thinking she called the wrong place. I know plenty of guys half my price if that is all you needed. I cleaned em anyway and I know I'm gonna regret polishing that turd, but she was happy and I got paid. I just know I'm gonna hear from the property manager.

Anyone else have any turds polished to talk about.

Mike Hanley

Elite Member
Jun 18, 2008
Florida
Real Name
Mike
Cleaned one today that I was doing my best to walk off. Huge burns, bleach, 100's of unknown stains, and matte black traffic patterns and on top of that 30+ years old. They just wouldn't let me leave. She swore up and down they looked that way when she moved in and she just needed a receipt to prove she had it cleaned. I was thinking she called the wrong place. I know plenty of guys half my price if that is all you needed. I cleaned em anyway and I know I'm gonna regret polishing that turd, but she was happy and I got paid. I just know I'm gonna hear from the property manager.

You just have to explain to the property manager that you gave your customer exactly what they wanted. Dont let your customers problem become yours, if they ruined the carpet they need to pay for replacement.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
UHHHHHH
I would be reluctant to even speak to a property manager.
The customer was the tenant. NOT the property manager. If you notated the stains and what not on the invoice while doing your walk through and get a signature before and after finishing work there is NO reason to be talking to a property manager at all.

My 2 cents.
I am not getting in the middle of any tenant/landlord dispute. We are just carpet cleaners. Thats it.

Mike Hanley

Elite Member
Jun 18, 2008
Florida
Real Name
Mike
UHHHHHH
I would be reluctant to even speak to a property manager.
The customer was the tenant. NOT the property manager. If you notated the stains and what not on the invoice while doing your walk through and get a signature before and after finishing work there is NO reason to be talking to a property manager at all.

My 2 cents.
I am not getting in the middle of any tenant/landlord dispute. We are just carpet cleaners. Thats it.

I dont know about you, but I want to talk to anyone I possibly can, heck, I would go as far as to offer the property manager a free cleaning to show her how well I can clean.

kingjoelking

Mar 26, 2008
AZ
www.whatsinyourcarpets.com
Real Name
Joel Riggs
Business Location
United States

Who gives a shit what the propery manager thinks. If its over 5 years old it's ready to be replaced with the cheap shit they put in it in the first place.

kingjoelking

Mar 26, 2008
AZ
Real Name
Joel Riggs
Business Location
United States
I dont know about you, but I want to talk to anyone I possibly can, heck, I would go as far as to offer the property manager a free cleaning to show her how well I can clean.

Actually he just got paid to give that property manager a Demo of how he can clean. Why would he want to go back and clean another turd for free.

Mike Hanley

Elite Member
Jun 18, 2008
Florida
Real Name
Mike
ehhhhhhhhhhhh

I guess if you are looking for apartment work on the regular you could.

I stand by my first post.

If someone is cleaning nasty rentals, they probably specialize in apartment work.

Actually he just got paid to give that property manager a Demo of how he can clean. Why would he want to go back and clean another turd for free.

From what he said, it seemed like the carpet was un-saveable.

Why stop there. You should clean every third apt. for free! ;)

Yeah, much more cost effective to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on marketing rather than demo your skills for next to nothing.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
If someone is cleaning nasty rentals, they probably specialize in apartment work.

Yeah, much more cost effective to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on marketing rather than demo your skills for next to nothing.

I guess my point was I would NOT get in between a tenant and a landlord.
His customer was the tenant.
If he wants to market to the landlord fine.
But do it at a later date.
Do NOT intertwine the two transactions.

That is all I was getting at.
Was trying to offer friendly advice.
For the record there is nothing wrong with doing apartments.
Its Just NOT in my bizz model.
Just like David Reed here on the forum who is wildly successful with apartments does not do single dwelling houses all day long as they are NOT part of his business plan.

That is all I was saying.

PS
Occasional my company gets an apartment carpet cleaning call and we go do it. So assuming the OP does primarily rat nasties would be wrong I think.

kingjoelking

Mar 26, 2008
AZ
Real Name
Joel Riggs
Business Location
United States

From my history of dealing with property managers. One unit looks like the next.

fuzzsucker

Jul 14, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Real Name
Robert Yockel
I dont do apartments either. Those places want them done for free. But I do a lot of work for property managers. I charge top dollar and they pay for a quality cleaning. If I think its garbage I tell them and they appreciate the honesty. I get a lot of them by taking on a mess of a place and making it look great. I get a call a day or two later with them thanking me and wanting some cards and insurance certificate and w9. I'm not gonna lower my price if they want a good job they call me. One place sent me over $3k in work this month. I'm not turning my nose up at that.

Artie09

Premium VIP
Dec 17, 2012
Azusa , CA
Real Name
Arturo Ortiz jr.
Business Location
United States

Hope you took before and after pictures.
Always cover your butt, however possible