TruckmountEngine turns over but won't start | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

TruckmountEngine turns over but won't start

Jan 3, 2016
Real Name
Evan
Brought in into my repairman the other day and we discovered that the fuel pump was not working. This was resolved when changing the heads on some wiring that got wet.

Machine would then run nicley.

Now after 3 days of not using the thing, it won't start. Fuel is being pumped and I don't think it's the battery. Could it be the spark plugs?

Sent from my SM-G903W using TMF Forums mobile app

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Brought in into my repairman the other day and we discovered that the fuel pump was not working. This was resolved when changing the heads on some wiring that got wet.

Machine would then run nicley.

Now after 3 days of not using the thing, it won't start. Fuel is being pumped and I don't think it's the battery. Could it be the spark plugs?

Depending on what safety devices are on the machine there are several possibilities. I doubt it's the spark plugs.

First thing to do is eliminate the possibility of it being a fuel issue. Make sure the fuel filter is clean and there are no kinks or leaks in the fuel hose anywhere. If it still doesn't start try spraying some starting fluid in the carb and see if it starts. If it does then I would suspect a clogged jet or stuck float in the carb.

If it's still a no go even with the starting fluid then you are looking for an electrical issue.

-Make sure the waste tank is empty and that the waste tank float is not stuck in the up position.

-Check the oil level. If the oil is full try bypassing the oil pressure switch and see if it may be bad. If it is bad replace it ASAP and if it's not bad be sure to re-connect it.

Some machines have an incoming water pressure sensor that will not allow the machine to start unless it is hooked up to water. These sensors often go bad and are cheap to replace. Try bypassing it and see if that might be the problem.

The problem could also be a bad ignition switch or possibly a wire somewhere that is shorted out.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Does it have an anti back fire device? That will prevent fuel from going into the carb.

Jan 3, 2016
Real Name
Evan
Sounds like he locked up the blower

Sent from my SM-G930V using TMF Forums mobile app
How does this happen?

I took the TM in today and he said it is probably a problem with the motor... and to take it to a small engine repair person...

Before we do this I am thinking it may be good to replace the oil filter ( we just put a new one in last month) just in case it is faulty... and change the fuel filter as well ( hasn't been changed in 6 years)... maybe this will help? I don't think it's very likely to be a problem with the motor.. but who knows!

I just hope I can get it fixed in time for next week's big jobs... I had to use ninjas all day... :)

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
How does this happen?

I took the TM in today and he said it is probably a problem with the motor... and to take it to a small engine repair person...

Before we do this I am thinking it may be good to replace the oil filter ( we just put a new one in last month) just in case it is faulty... and change the fuel filter as well ( hasn't been changed in 6 years)... maybe this will help? I don't think it's very likely to be a problem with the motor.. but who knows!

I just hope I can get it fixed in time for next week's big jobs... I had to use ninjas all day... :)

Not trying to be mean or rude, buuuuuuuut

If your TM repair guy does NOT do small engines,
its time to find a new TM guy.
Yikes.

Follow the steps @Todd the Cleaner listed above. Its the same thing the repairman you are about to give your money is going to do. Just saying. none of it is hard and you will learn something about your machine in following his steps.

Ask if you need more info on one of the steps. someone will help you out.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Are you checking it our yourself? Stuff like checking for a spark is pretty easy to do.

Jan 3, 2016
Real Name
Evan
Not trying to be mean or rude, buuuuuuuut

If your TM repair guy does NOT do small engines,
its time to find a new TM guy.
Yikes.

Follow the steps @Todd the Cleaner listed above. Its the same thing the repairman you are about to give your money is going to do. Just saying. none of it is hard and you will learn something about your machine in following his steps.

Ask if you need more info on one of the steps. someone will help you out.
Thank you!

Jan 3, 2016
Real Name
Evan
Depending on what safety devices are on the machine there are several possibilities. I doubt it's the spark plugs.

First thing to do is eliminate the possibility of it being a fuel issue. Make sure the fuel filter is clean and there are no kinks or leaks in the fuel hose anywhere. If it still doesn't start try spraying some starting fluid in the carb and see if it starts. If it does then I would suspect a clogged jet or stuck float in the carb.

If it's still a no go even with the starting fluid then you are looking for an electrical issue.

-Make sure the waste tank is empty and that the waste tank float is not stuck in the up position.

-Check the oil level. If the oil is full try bypassing the oil pressure switch and see if it may be bad. If it is bad replace it ASAP and if it's not bad be sure to re-connect it.

Some machines have an incoming water pressure sensor that will not allow the machine to start unless it is hooked up to water. These sensors often go bad and are cheap to replace. Try bypassing it and see if that might be the problem.

The problem could also be a bad ignition switch or possibly a wire somewhere that is shorted out.
Thank you! I'm going to try this tonight

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
If you have a blower belt tensioner you could loosen it. Then see if blower spins.

Jan 3, 2016
Real Name
Evan
If you have a blower belt tensioner you could loosen it. Then see if blower spins.
I'm not sure if I have one. Will look into it. Thank you very much rob!

Now I'm thinking it is just a fuel issue because when I 'run' the fuel pump clicking doesn't stop. Maybe there is a blockage or the pump is not working to its potential.. it is pumping but for some reason not enough fuel is being received through the carb?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Now I'm thinking it is just a fuel issue because when I 'run' the fuel pump clicking doesn't stop. Maybe there is a blockage or the pump is not working to its potential.. it is pumping but for some reason not enough fuel is being received through the carb?

Could be airlock, debris in line and filter may need replacing.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States

Pull the fuel line off the carb or at the filter then switch it on for a second and see if it's pumping fuel.

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
If the engine turns over but does not start, you blower is not locked up. the blower will prevent the engine from turning.
Fuel, spark, and compression are what you need for the engine to run. If you don't have one, it won't run.
Depending on the machine there are some safeties that will keep it from starting.

What machine is it?