Truckmount Water Heating

faith452

Jan 7, 2014
Hey guys,

I'm looking for more heat from my truck mount, what i have at the moment is a bates big red truckmount it's the gasoline version. It heats water by running it through the engine block, this is pretty decent but it doesn't really get as hot as i would like, what i have been doing is running a little giant 2ht after this (i had this heater from when i was using a portable), this is pretty decent and gets quite a bit hotter for a while until the big red reaches higher temps then the little giant doesn't kick on because the water is already relatively hot, so i don't really get that nice boost any more.

what are my options?

faith452

Jan 7, 2014
come on guys what can i do? is there some way to modify the heater so it will still work with the water being already warmed? or will i have to get an exhaust heat exchanger give me some input please.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
i use kerosene for 12 years iwill never go back to hx.......
More heat than you will ever need
doesnt spike as much
easy to isnstall for 1500-2000$ depending on what you buy
i got both of mine at northern tools
advantage over propane is fire is off when trigger is off...
heating tubes are made for pressure washer and therfore more durable....
not as combustable, and will burn hotter!!!!

Reactions: StevenB.

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
Hey guys,

I'm looking for more heat from my truck mount, what i have at the moment is a bates big red truckmount it's the gasoline version. It heats water by running it through the engine block, this is pretty decent but it doesn't really get as hot as i would like, what i have been doing is running a little giant 2ht after this (i had this heater from when i was using a portable), this is pretty decent and gets quite a bit hotter for a while until the big red reaches higher temps then the little giant doesn't kick on because the water is already relatively hot, so i don't really get that nice boost any more.

what are my options?

A couple of things;

1) A 2 ht may not heat the water hot enough for the flow of a truckmount so that is why the temp may not be as hot as you would like.

2) If you could route your water so it does not get preheated by the engine block the little giant may cycle more giving you hotter water.

faith452

Jan 7, 2014
Unfortunately rerouting the water isnt really an option as the water that you use for cleaning is also the radiator for the engine. Ill look into a kerro burner sounds like it might be a pretty good option

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
Unfortunately rerouting the water isnt really an option as the water that you use for cleaning is also the radiator for the engine. Ill look into a kerro burner sounds like it might be a pretty good option

You may have the same trouble with the kerosene burner. Probably need to make sure it fires with warm water going into the system.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
i use kerosene for 12 years iwill never go back to hx.......
More heat than you will ever need
doesnt spike as much
easy to isnstall for 1500-2000$ depending on what you buy
i got both of mine at northern tools
advantage over propane is fire is off when trigger is off...
heating tubes are made for pressure washer and therfore more durable....
not as combustable, and will burn hotter!!!!
Isn't there a flow switch on your kero heater that fires it. If so, it only fires when the trigger is pulled, or am I missing something?

Now the Little Giant doesn't use a flow switch, so it fires until it reaches temperature, but the bigger propane heaters only fire when the wand trigger is depressed.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Youre right the kero burner will only fire when the trigger is pulled the flame is off...
So you will need to change the flow switch to around 1/4 gpm
As it is originally set aroun 1 gpm for pressure washers
This can be done for around 100$ at a pressure washer place

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
come on guys what can i do? is there some way to modify the heater so it will still work with the water being already warmed? or will i have to get an exhaust heat exchanger give me some input please.
Your already familiar and set up with the little giant. I'd just get the extreme 4ht unit.

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
I would go with Little Giant 4HT like Ed recommended above because you are preheating the water and need power to a diesel heater.

Can't run too hot of water through a flow switch on diesel heater or you will burn it up.

Electric diesel heater has to be plugged in every time or you have to belt drive a generator.

12 volt diesel heater will run your battery down. You have to belt drive a car alternator 80 amp preferably to keep the battery charged.

Diesel heater needs to be vented.

Little Giant is the easiest, quickest, simplest way to go.

I run diesel and will not use anything else but you have to get it set up correctly.

faith452

Jan 7, 2014
My tm already has a belt drive alternator I'm just gonna get an inverter for the 240v. i went with a diesel hot box it will arrive hopefully by the end of the week. I got a pretty decent deal i couldn't pass up $1200. new here in australia diesel hot boxes are like $4000.

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Wish I could burn Kerosene but refuse to pay $12.00 a gallon when I can get highway diesel for $2.25 a gallon. I would need to raise my prices to burn kerosene :D.