Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Reactions: smart n kleen

Jun

Mar 27, 2014
Real Name
John Rasing
I used to work for the company before I started my business. I did maintenance of their trucks and truckmounts. They had a prochem legend new one and it was installed by jon don. Owner used the truckmount as a vacuum to clean air ducts for this Ram air system. I used it one day to clean air ducts. I turned off the water switch when I run it because I might run out of water in Commercial no water source. I finished the job. When I was filing up the invoice, I smelled some gas from the machine but I just ignored it. When I was collecting the payment and talking to my customer, customer saw it through the window that my truck was on fire. I tried to open the side door to grab fire extinguisher but couldn’t open it the door was locked and it was too much flames that eventhough it was open, I would not able to grab it. It started on top of the machine where the air filter is. I think that eventhough I turned off the machine properly, the machine still spitting out gas in full trottle.

ccclean

Mar 12, 2016
Real Name
Stephen Boisvert

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Difference is no cray-cray posts.
smiley falling over passing out.gif

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I've seen about six total fire losses in the time I've been here (an average of one a year). Of the six, only one had a heat exchanger - the rest all had Little Giants in them. And all six were incredibly messy vans.

A seventh fire was short-lived and did little damage (also a Little Giant) - dude running the van is one of the toughest guys I've ever met and he lost his eyebrows, his arm hair, and quite a bit of hair on his scalp extinguishing the flames. He keeps a very tidy, very clean rig.

Not drawing any conclusions, just... yeah.

Jun

Mar 27, 2014
Real Name
John Rasing
I think the fuel line has leaks or something on the machine that manufactures need to be fixed/recall. The oil seal come off on my truckmount and oil was all over the machine but it didn’t create fire. It created smoke and that was it and my truckmount shuts off.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I had a Plymouth Acclaim named Bob (yes, I named my car) that got up to 300k miles before it popped an oil line. Sure enough, oil got on the engine, caught fire, and the poor thing burned to death in just under 5 minutes. It was a sad, sad day. I still have the little star emblem off the hood, I pried it off right before the wrecker toted poor ol' dead Bob to the junkyard.

It's really impressive just how quickly a combustion engine can go kablooie when something bad happens.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I had a Plymouth Acclaim named Bob (yes, I named my car) that got up to 300k miles before it popped an oil line. Sure enough, oil got on the engine, caught fire, and the poor thing burned to death in just under 5 minutes. It was a sad, sad day. I still have the little star emblem off the hood, I pried it off right before the wrecker toted poor ol' dead Bob to the junkyard.

It's really impressive just how quickly a combustion engine can go kablooie when something bad happens.
And here I was driving a car that squirted out 20 quarts of oil every month, all over the engine

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Mine stays right next to my machine on the right strapped to the wall at the side van door. It an automotive one too not a house one.

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
As a rule I never park too close to a home either. I don't care how many extinguishers you have, if you are inside and don't know your on fire your hit..........Last thing I want on my conscience is some poor family being homeless because of me.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
Mine stays right next to my machine on the right strapped to the wall at the side van door. It an automotive one too not a house one.
Is mine a household fire extinguisher? What is the difference?

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Is mine a household fire extinguisher? What is the difference?
Auto specific ones thend to have a higher effectiveness against gas fires. If you look there will be something that looks like this on your axtinguisher: 4A: 10B: C

The letter tells you what the extinguisher is effective against - A paper, wood and other burnables that can typically be put out with just water; B is for grease, gas and other liquid fuels and chemicals that water would make worse: and C just means the chemical contents won't conduct electricity meaning they are safe for electrical fires or use around electrical sources - The number tell you how effective it is against that type of fire. So an extinguisher that is rated 4A is better against a paper and wood fire than a 2A extinguisher.

For auto use you want the number preceding the B to be as big as possible because in an auto fire its the fuel burning that is the biggest problem. Many auto specific extinguishers are either AB or BC. Check with local regs and your insurance because there may be a minimum rating required for your vehicle.

Household extinguishers are pretty much always ABC rated.

Last edited:

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Near miss yesterday.
Driving home and the van filled with acrid smoke.
Pulled over and jumped in the back. Saw flames coming from this wiring loom. Quickly threw some water on it and disconnected the battery. It was right next to the fuel lines for my TM. *shudder*
Needless to say I ordered a fire extinguisher.
IMAG0561.jpg
IMAG0560.jpg

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Doesn't take much does it?

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Near miss yesterday.
Pulled over and jumped in the back. Saw flames coming from this wiring loom. Quickly threw some water on it and disconnected the battery. It was right next to the fuel lines for my TM. *shudder*
View attachment 76961View attachment 76960

Any rubber / plastic fittings on the fuel line?

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
I've seen about six total fire losses in the time I've been here (an average of one a year). Of the six, only one had a heat exchanger - the rest all had Little Giants in them. And all six were incredibly messy vans.

A seventh fire was short-lived and did little damage (also a Little Giant) - dude running the van is one of the toughest guys I've ever met and he lost his eyebrows, his arm hair, and quite a bit of hair on his scalp extinguishing the flames. He keeps a very tidy, very clean rig.

Not drawing any conclusions, just... yeah.
I don't like propane for fuel heater...
Just the gas pressurized is explosive..
I do. Use a Kero heater....
Safer fuel
And only ignites when pressure is trigered

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Near miss yesterday.
View attachment 76961View attachment 76960

Any rubber / plastic fittings on the fuel line?
Nope, the fuel line is unscathed.

Reactions: CCWorks