Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Seems like every month now there is a Truckmount or van catching fire. Recently there was a video where a Truckmount caught on fire and the guy was parked too close to the house. This set the house on fire also. What a nightmare! So what can you do to prevent or in case a fire starts? I addressed this subject in video. Hope it helps.

tm fire .png

Reactions: OneBlueSummer

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Isn't it illegal to operate machinery inside the van with a propane tank that's also inside the van? I've heard this, but never been able to verify. I found out the hard way back in the 90's that it's definitely not a good idea. Good thing I had a fire extinguisher on hand is all I can say or I might of lost my entire van and equipment.

I also did have one small fire with my Boxxer 421 several years ago. I think I had some oil leak that pooled on top of the engine or I might have spilled some oil on the engine when changing the oil. it was a very hot summer day and it got hot enough to ignite that little bit of oil. It was burning away when I happened to walk out there and saw it. Fortunately, I caught it quickly and it didn't damage my machine. I'd hate to think what might have happened if I hadn't caught it when I did. So, I can definitely verify that heat exchange units CAN CATCH FIRE!!!

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Maybe mesy vans or poor maintaince. Or both.
I'd say both and add improper installation. Some guys are far more mechanically inclined and can install things properly and maybe never have an issue. I personally would never even try to install a propane unit myself. I want it done right by someone who knows what they're doing. Like you said though if the van is messy or you let the maintenance go you can still have a fire.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
I keep a fire extinguisher right next to my Truckmounts just in case fire breaks out. It may not stop all of the fire but it’s peace of mind to me.
BDFF3085-C85C-42B7-BF4C-8D07C186857C.jpeg
9030CDBB-0FB6-4550-9AD1-9A498443EB76.jpeg

Last edited:

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Maybe a smoke detector or a heat sensor.

A heat sensor can be set to sound a alarm at 120 / 140 degrees.

Or either the smoke or heat sensor can turn off the engine or fuel line, but that may have to be invented soon.

I bet the insurance company would even help you pay for a heat sensor invention that turns off the engines or fuel lines..

Last edited:

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
dang, 3 post in one hour on same topic.

I keep forgetting I can only post one post, in one topic, once a week.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
When things run smoothly and trouble free for hundreds of thousands of hours it's easy to get complacent and stop worrying about safety things and maintenance. Happens to everyone. Good reminder.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Seems like every month now there is a Truckmount or van catching fire. Recently there was a video where a Truckmount caught on fire and the guy was parked too close to the house. This set the house on fire also. What a nightmare! So what can you do to prevent or in case a fire starts? I addressed this subject in video. Hope it helps.

View attachment 76832
Rob
was that propane engine..propane burner or gasoline engine????

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Something like this may be a good insurance for your career investment

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I strongly agree with the idea of a fire extinguisher in your van. Also consider the placement. If the fire extinguisher if 2' from the truckmount, will you be able to get to it if there is the fire is already blazing? I would keep fire extinguisher in a different part of the van from the likely fire sources.

Reactions: Fedri

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Scott is right @smart n kleen that extinguisher isn't in a great location should your TM catch fire. There is a good chance you won't be able to get to it without suffering burns yourself, not to mention its next to 2 explosive cans of WD40. I would advise either relocating it or placing a second in your cab.

Reactions: Fedri

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
I strongly agree with the idea of a fire extinguisher in your van. Also consider the placement. If the fire extinguisher if 2' from the truckmount, will you be able to get to it if there is the fire is already blazing? I would keep fire extinguisher in a different part of the van from the likely fire sources.
If my unit is on that much fire I’ll let it burn. My insurance is around $55,000. No need to be hurt. I’d say the most dangerous fire hazard is the fuel system. My fuel cell is outside my trailer

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
Scott is right @smart n kleen that extinguisher isn't in a great location should your TM catch fire. There is a good chance you won't be able to get to it without suffering burns yourself, not to mention its next to 2 explosive cans of WD40. I would advise either relocating it or placing a second in your cab.
Thanks

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I think one of these would be great to carry in your van.

Van could start to burn with you in the house unaware and the thing could put out the fire without you.

Reactions: rob allen

James McCormick

Jul 31, 2015
Real Name
James McCormick
What does Prochem and the other truckmount have to say about the recent rash of fires. They have a obligation to the truckmount carpet cleaners everywhere. This is bad real bad.

Reactions: smart n kleen

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
tm fire .png

I'm not sure what kind of TM, but I would have to guess it was a Prochem Blazer.

In all seriousness, I hope everyone was ok. It's crazy the things I've seen happen over the years. Bungee cord snapped and stuff fell on the TM (no fire, but lucky), the wind blew a random plastic bag from outside on to the exhaust manifold of the slide in (actual small fire zero damage), vac hose whipping around while doing water damage with CDS exhaust from the tailpipe started the hose on fire, etc... You can prepare, but you can't stop everything. We carry fire extinguishers at the back door of both vans because we've seen what happens out there.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
Thanks again guys, I’ll put a fire extinguisher up front also.