Truckmount battery | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Truckmount battery

prokleen314

Oct 31, 2013
What type if battery should I use for a spitfire TM? The guy that was going to install it says a lawn mower battery is fine but not sure

tonyk

Sep 25, 2013
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
Anthony Kim
Business Location
United States
I use car battery too.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
A lawn mower battery will do just fine. Just make sure you know what side the positive and negative go. They tend to make those battery cables short on the truckmounts, and the batteries have the terminals on different sides.

Steamin' Seaman

Jun 15, 2010
Maine
Real Name
Buddy
Business Location
United States
I use a car battery with over 600 crankin" amps....and bring 2 sets of jumper cables to jump from the TM to the van. Left key on after I shut down the van and when I went to leave the job the battery was dead. Just jumped from TM to van battery and on my way.
some of those lawn mower battery's do not last a year from what I have seen. Plus they cost as much as a big battery.

Reactions: prokleen314

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
I use a car battery with over 600 crankin" amps....and bring 2 sets of jumper cables to jump from the TM to the van. Left key on after I shut down the van and when I went to leave the job the battery was dead. Just jumped from TM to van battery and on my way.
some of those lawn mower battery's do not last a year from what I have seen. Plus they cost as much as a big battery.
The reason they do not last as long is improper charging, Truckmounts do not have alternators but rather magnetos that somewhat charge the batteries but only while running. If you do not have a trickle charger in line then get one! It will pay for itself over and over!

Reactions: LeeRoy

Steamin' Seaman

Jun 15, 2010
Maine
Real Name
Buddy
Business Location
United States
I have never had a problem with the TM battery, van yes, but that is usually self inflicted.

What do you suggest for a trickle charger?

I'm thinking one of those solar panels, and place it on the dash might be a big help.

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
That would be a first I've heard of that. Solar trickle charger . Interesting. Like to know of that works. I would love to never hook up a charger again.
I use car battery as well. We have a place here that sells blemished batteries for $40. I use those. They are new.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TMF Forums mobile app

Jeff Maietta

Happy Days!
Aug 15, 2012
Everywhere
Real Name
Geoff Maieta
Business Location
United States
That would be a first I've heard of that. Solar trickle charger . Interesting. Like to know of that works. I would love to never hook up a charger again.
I use car battery as well. We have a place here that sells blemished batteries for $40. I use those. They are new.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TMF Forums mobile app
I have used them. They work great. Amazon for about 30 or so.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TMF Forums mobile app

Vet

Aug 12, 2015
Real Name
Jesse coleman
Business Location
United States
I've had mine on that trickle and battery still dead. It's fairly new and can't understand. I wondering if I should jump the battery and let the machine run?

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I would just go to Walmart and purchase the cheapest car battery they have. Even the most inexpensive one will have a multi-year warranty. Just hold onto he receipt.

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
If you are going through batteries it is probably a problem with the charging system. Your battery should never go below 80% charge. Diesel burners hooked to motors that do not have enough generating capacity to run the fan or a loose connection somewhere in the system are most likely your culprits.

The big advantage to propane over Kerosene heaters is the lack of need for electrical power to run the unit.

If you are running a heat exchange or propane unit then your tm battery should never need to be jumped and last for several years---even if it is just a little lawn mower battery.

loose connections like a ground not tightened or bad connections to the battery terminal. I once had a cable that looked fine but a couple inches back from the terminal inside the housing was all corroded. That was a bugger for me to figure out.

New cables are really cheap and properly installed can save a lot of agony... Don't cheap out and put new terminals on ---buy a new cable for $4 more.

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
If you have a buddy that has an automotive shop---go to your local Napa (or his parts warehouse) and tell them you want to put a battery on his account and pay for it with your card right now. It is a good idea to ask your buddy first. This will usually save you $20 on the cost of the battery. Then bring him a six pack of beer $10 and drink it with him. You are still $10 ahead.