Truck mount mechanics for repairs and tune-ups? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Truck mount mechanics for repairs and tune-ups?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007
Real Name
Robert Allen III 'Tre'
Business Location
United States

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
My mechanic that works on my vans comes to my shop its a heated shop and ive got more tools lol

Reactions: admin

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I would if it were possible, but sadly it's not. The only TM mechanics I know of anywhere near me are at Jondon in Earth City, Mo. That's about 150 miles each way. They charge 90 bucks an hour btw + very high dollar on some of their parts. I'm talking 3 and 4 times retail value. Now if it's a proprietary part you can forget retail. The price is whatever they say it is. Example, a new diverter valve for my Boxxer 421 is now over 800 bucks. Thank God I had the good sense to repair my old one and kept it for a spare! It cost 125 to repair at a local machine shop. I had it put in last September along with my new engine because my old diverter was leaking exhaust.

Last edited:

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I don't know how a mobile TM mechanic would make any money.
You would have to get every TM in a thousand mile radius to have enough business.

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
I don't know how a mobile TM mechanic would make any money.
You would have to get every TM in a thousand mile radius to have enough business.
I have been doing this for almost 8 years now here in North Carolina. May not be able to drive 2 hours for a 150.00 or so check but I have a few with two or more trucks that I service all in one day.

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
I have a route that I can go by and pickup restoration equipment, from several different companies bring them back to the shop repair and return. I try to get the customer to understand that if I pickup one or two from each place even if it took me say 3 weeks to get them back that's better than them waiting till they have 7 or 8 down to justify paying someone to take to a shop or a storm is coming and they need them tomorrow. Guess what so does 10 other companies. So loose money or you spend money on new equipment that you didn't have to.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I have a route that I can go by and pickup restoration equipment, from several different companies bring them back to the shop repair and return. I try to get the customer to understand that if I pickup one or two from each place even if it took me say 3 weeks to get them back that's better than them waiting till they have 7 or 8 down to justify paying someone to take to a shop or a storm is coming and they need them tomorrow. Guess what so does 10 other companies. So loose money or you spend money on new equipment that you didn't have to.
That's smart! I guess you figured out a good business model. So I learned something, today's already a win!

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I don't think the idea of a traveling TM mechanic would ever fly unless they could get enough business in a fairly local region like the St. Louis area for example. I'm pretty sure there a quite a few machines in operation up there. I know they keep Jondon's service dept. pretty backed up sometimes. That has put me between a rock and a hard place a few times. There definitely are times I wished I had a simpler machine w/o all the added stuff that is strictly because it's heat exchange.

NC Carpetpro

Jul 16, 2019
Real Name
Kevin wilborn
I have been doing this for almost 8 years now here in North Carolina. May not be able to drive 2 hours for a 150.00 or so check but I have a few with two or more trucks that I service all in one day.
What part of NC are you in and do you rebuild cat pumps

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
i think a little differently. I can do simple things like changing fluids and belt changes. But I still take my machine in to Jon Don each year to do the annual maintenance. that way I know the machine will run smoothly throughout the year. Does it cost a little bit, yes. But what does it cost to be on a job and have something go wrong. Especially when your booked out two weeks...

Now Jon Don is 4 hours away so its an all day thing to go down there, wait for them and drive back, but still worth it. At least to me. Key is finding the right mechanic. Most are great, but I had one a couple years back - well thats another thread...

Besides, does a traveling mechanic have all the parts they may need for all the different brands? Doesnt sound feasible.

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
i think a little differently. I can do simple things like changing fluids and belt changes. But I still take my machine in to Jon Don each year to do the annual maintenance. that way I know the machine will run smoothly throughout the year. Does it cost a little bit, yes. But what does it cost to be on a job and have something go wrong. Especially when your booked out two weeks...

Now Jon Don is 4 hours away so its an all day thing to go down there, wait for them and drive back, but still worth it. At least to me. Key is finding the right mechanic. Most are great, but I had one a couple years back - well thats another thread...

Besides, does a traveling mechanic have all the parts they may need for all the different brands? Doesnt sound feasible.
I ask questions, to find out anything that may be wrong before I get there. Depending on what the issue is I'm upfront and honest. If it's something that I think is to in depth I'll tell you, it needs to come to the shop. If it is just a full service or replacing belts, no problem.

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
Talking about customer list. I have customers who drive 3hr to get the me also. was just at a gathering this weekend and made around 30 contacts who didn't know about me. Most are within a hour or less. Already got two calls and appointments for this week and finishing up a big install tomorrow morning.

Reactions: LeeRoy

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I would if it were possible, but sadly it's not. The only TM mechanics I know of anywhere near me are at Jondon in Earth City, Mo. That's about 150 miles each way. They charge 90 bucks an hour btw + very high dollar on some of their parts. I'm talking 3 and 4 times retail value. Now if it's a proprietary part you can forget retail. The price is whatever they say it is. Example, a new diverter valve for my Boxxer 421 is now over 800 bucks. Thank God I had the good sense to repair my old one and kept it for a spare! It cost 125 to repair at a local machine shop. I had it put in last September along with my new engine because my old diverter was leaking exhaust.
Randy, some distributors are now charged higher prices for truckmount parts based on how many truckmount units they keep in stock.

If a distributor doesn't (or can't) agree to keep a certain number of units in their building, for example, they then pay a higher price for parts as a result.

So if you see an increase in parts prices, it's not a distributor being "greedy" - they are likely paying a higher price for those items now too.

Plus, with aluminum tariffs kicking in, many parts are costing more even if the unit agreement is being met.

I know there's a lot of kvetching about prices out there, but just know that your local shop isn't usually getting rich off of you. I see what parts cost us around here, and what we charge for them going out the door, and I can tell you honestly that we're not raking in the big bucks. Single-digit margins are more common than you'd think.

Reactions: wandwizard

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I can back @Mama Fen up on that having been a distributor at one point i can tell you there isnt shit for profit with parts on the distributor end, on the manufacturer end well thats a different story.

Reactions: Mama Fen