Truck mount mechanics for repairs and tune-ups? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Truck mount mechanics for repairs and tune-ups?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007
Real Name
Robert Allen III 'Tre'
Business Location
United States

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
My mechanic that works on my vans comes to my shop its a heated shop and ive got more tools lol

Reactions: admin

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I would if it were possible, but sadly it's not. The only TM mechanics I know of anywhere near me are at Jondon in Earth City, Mo. That's about 150 miles each way. They charge 90 bucks an hour btw + very high dollar on some of their parts. I'm talking 3 and 4 times retail value. Now if it's a proprietary part you can forget retail. The price is whatever they say it is. Example, a new diverter valve for my Boxxer 421 is now over 800 bucks. Thank God I had the good sense to repair my old one and kept it for a spare! It cost 125 to repair at a local machine shop. I had it put in last September along with my new engine because my old diverter was leaking exhaust.

Last edited:

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I don't know how a mobile TM mechanic would make any money.
You would have to get every TM in a thousand mile radius to have enough business.

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
I don't know how a mobile TM mechanic would make any money.
You would have to get every TM in a thousand mile radius to have enough business.
I have been doing this for almost 8 years now here in North Carolina. May not be able to drive 2 hours for a 150.00 or so check but I have a few with two or more trucks that I service all in one day.

Reactions: PistolPete

Rick F

Apr 27, 2011
new york
Real Name
richard fall
Business Location
United States
My guy came to a job to fix a carb leak this year, i do trades with him he owns rental property.

Reactions: PistolPete

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
I have a route that I can go by and pickup restoration equipment, from several different companies bring them back to the shop repair and return. I try to get the customer to understand that if I pickup one or two from each place even if it took me say 3 weeks to get them back that's better than them waiting till they have 7 or 8 down to justify paying someone to take to a shop or a storm is coming and they need them tomorrow. Guess what so does 10 other companies. So loose money or you spend money on new equipment that you didn't have to.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I have a route that I can go by and pickup restoration equipment, from several different companies bring them back to the shop repair and return. I try to get the customer to understand that if I pickup one or two from each place even if it took me say 3 weeks to get them back that's better than them waiting till they have 7 or 8 down to justify paying someone to take to a shop or a storm is coming and they need them tomorrow. Guess what so does 10 other companies. So loose money or you spend money on new equipment that you didn't have to.
That's smart! I guess you figured out a good business model. So I learned something, today's already a win!

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I don't think the idea of a traveling TM mechanic would ever fly unless they could get enough business in a fairly local region like the St. Louis area for example. I'm pretty sure there a quite a few machines in operation up there. I know they keep Jondon's service dept. pretty backed up sometimes. That has put me between a rock and a hard place a few times. There definitely are times I wished I had a simpler machine w/o all the added stuff that is strictly because it's heat exchange.