Trouble changing belt on my Boxxer 421 | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Trouble changing belt on my Boxxer 421

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I haven't had to put a belt on myself in quite a few years, but I don't remember having this much trouble last time I did it. Mine broke on me this afternoon. The AX38 belt which is 40 inches just doesn't seem to want to go on. I even unbolted my pump so I could tilt it down to try and give it enough room to get it on, but it didn't work. My question is does anyone think to put a different belt on that is maybe an inch or two longer would hurt since I think I can still use the adjustable belt tensioner to get it tight enough? I'm not certain, but I think the original belt might have been 5/8 inch longer than the AX38 so I was thinking of going with an AX39 which is 41 inches. I'd have to see someone put that AX38 on there to believe it could actually be done. Believe me, I tried! I'd like to get this thing fixed first thing in the am.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I haven't had to put a belt on myself in quite a few years, but I don't remember having this much trouble last time I did it. Mine broke on me this afternoon. The AX38 belt which is 40 inches just doesn't seem to want to go on. I even unbolted my pump so I could tilt it down to try and give it enough room to get it on, but it didn't work. My question is does anyone think to put a different belt on that is maybe an inch or two longer would hurt since I think I can still use the adjustable belt tensioner to get it tight enough? I'm not certain, but I think the original belt might have been 5/8 inch longer than the AX38 so I was thinking of going with an AX39 which is 41 inches. I'd have to see someone put that AX38 on there to believe it could actually be done. Believe me, I tried! I'd like to get this thing fixed first thing in the am.
I'm not familiar with that belt, but would you consider to try accu link belt? The one I'm using is 1/4" thick. It should be good for 500-1000 hours of use, less vibration, guaranteed. In first weeks of use you have to remove 2-3 links to keep it tight, but it takes about 15 seconds to remove the link. It comes in different lengths, 40" is one of them, but I believe that you would be able to wing it, since you don't have to go over the wall of the pulley to install it. Just unhook the one link, put the belt over the pulleys and hook it back on.
If you can't find the source, I can get you link.

Attachments

Reactions: LeeRoy and alexus

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I'm not familiar with that belt, but would you consider to try accu link belt? The one I'm using is 1/4" thick. It should be good for 500-1000 hours of use, less vibration, guaranteed. In first weeks of use you have to remove 2-3 links to keep it tight, but it takes about 15 seconds to remove the link. It comes in different lengths, 40" is one of them, but I believe that you would be able to wing it, since you don't have to go over the wall of the pulley to install it. Just unhook the one link, put the belt over the pulleys and hook it back on.
If you can't find the source, I can get you link.
If you have a Harbor Freight around, they should have it in stock.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
If you have a Harbor Freight around, they should have it in stock.
If I can't get the one that's supposed to go on it on there I will check into it. There is a Harbor Freight here now. I know I must of installed an AX38 before. Boxxer manuals also show another belt that has been used at some point over the years that's slightly longer by 5/8'ths of an inch. I am thinking about trying one that is 41 inch and see if I can use the tensioner to tighten it up enough for use.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Well, at least now I think I know why I had such a hard time with that belt. My clutch has seized and has to be replaced. :( I'm just hoping at this point it didn't also do damage to the water pump that's less than 7 months old. I'm sure it took a lot of force to break that belt. This is a new experience for me so I didn't understand what had happened. I was concentrating on getting that belt on there and didn't realize the clutch pully wasn't moving as it should.