Tripping breakers :(

IsaiahT

Jul 10, 2017
Real Name
Isaiah Tichenor
So I'm currently using the EDIC with 2, 3 stage vacs, an EDIC 2000 watt heater and a rotovac power wand in most cases. I often trip the breakers in smaller homes and apartments. It can be very embarrassing and time consuming. I've learned to look at the breaker box to make sure it can handle the load but am in need of other solutions. I would love to buy a truck mount but have only been in business for just under a year and am not sure about being able to finance it just yet. I've also thought about getting a generator for my van and running my 50 feet of extension cable to power my EDIC machine then use the outlets for my Rotovac. Any help is appreciated!

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
So I'm currently using the EDIC with 2, 3 stage vacs, an EDIC 2000 watt heater and a rotovac power wand in most cases. I often trip the breakers in smaller homes and apartments. It can be very embarrassing and time consuming. I've learned to look at the breaker box to make sure it can handle the load but am in need of other solutions. I would love to buy a truck mount but have only been in business for just under a year and am not sure about being able to finance it just yet. I've also thought about getting a generator for my van and running my 50 feet of extension cable to power my EDIC machine then use the outlets for my Rotovac. Any help is appreciated!
While setting up and if length of your cords permit, find plugs in the kitchen, laundry room, or bathroom. These are your 3 anchors. And yes, don't try to be perfect. You can skip one feature( heat) or the other( power wand) .I know that you want ROI on your power wand, but use regular wand like @ smtwn advise you to and look for a different form of agitation, which allows you better control use of electric power. So, laying down juice( hydro force or hand pump- employing only 15 Amps), agitation( Oreck Orbiter or similar 175 - using again only 15 amps) , extraction process ( no heat) - find 2 dedicated 20 amps plugs and you're safe. More components to the process, worse production times. If you want to be really on top of your game and distinguish yourself from competition, you can also use air movers to cut down on drying time. It's all good, just don't forget to charge accordingly. Unless your portable/ ETM can handle 100"-150" vacuum hose straight from the van, I don't recommend generator. Theoretically you can, but I shrug at idea of running 50' cord from genset ( snow, water, ) too much of hazard IMO.
Best of luck with your " power plant"

Reactions: IsaiahT

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Sell that overpriced rotovac and use the money to get a crb. A crb/wand combo beats any rotovac. I've seen pictures of rotovac in action, and it does do a good job. But using the crb while the portable is off is smarter and gives the prespray more dwell time, and pulls up more debris in the carpet than any rotovac, and it doesn't put those stupid swirly marks in the carpet. A crb/wand process makes the carpet have that new look again, as long as those stupid triangle rob wannabe marks AREN'T in the carpet. Do you want the carpet to look like it was cleaned, or do you want it to look new again???

I don't know anything about how portables are tripping breakers, because I've had a tm my whole time in this business, so I hope this fixes your problem.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Sell that overpriced rotovac and use the money to get a crb. A crb/wand combo beats any rotovac. I've seen pictures of rotovac in action, and it does do a good job. But using the crb while the portable is off is smarter and gives the prespray more dwell time, and pulls up more debris in the carpet than any rotovac, and it doesn't put those stupid swirly marks in the carpet. A crb/wand process makes the carpet have that new look again, as long as those stupid triangle rob wannabe marks AREN'T in the carpet. Do you want the carpet to look like it was cleaned, or do you want it to look new again???

I don't know anything about how portables are tripping breakers, because I've had a tm my whole time in this business, so I hope this fixes your problem.

Gotta love wand marks. Most my customers like them. Some property managers even insist on them.

5F30B560-4293-4F1E-804B-97F288DD6F54.jpeg

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
You can get a power box that will plug into a dyrer or rang vent. It will reduce the 240 volt of those outlets to multiple 120 volt circuits.

This will give you 2 20 amp circuits from one range or dryer plug. You will need to buy the adapter cord separately. Which one you need depends upon if you have 3 prong, 4 prong outlets or both in your area.

https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=AC8391

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I had problems when trying to run a power wand in a small apartment and in a house with very old wiring. Those locations might only have 2 suitable circuits. And most apartments don't have a hookup for washer/dryer. I often skipped on the heater. Hot tap water is 130 - 160 degrees, which is plenty of heat for most situations. A 175 for agitation and extract with a regular wand will take more time but you won't require as much power either.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States

I have even better advice: " Sell that overpriced Rotovac and buy yourself all inclusive to Punta Cana....."

Reactions: Prime

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
They don't know any better? Lol. It's an opinion. I personally agree with Todd. I like them as well.
It's not what we like, it's what's in our customer's eyes that matters. Property managers...ok, I understand. They want the renter to see it was cleaned. I get the point.

But Real Estate Agents...When they take pictures of the inside of the house, they don't want to see those dumb triangles in the pictures. They want the carpet to look as new as can be. Just try it a few times and see what response you get.

Reactions: PoppFizzClean

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
They don't know any better? Lol. It's an opinion. I personally agree with Todd. I like them as well.
Don't take too much of Todd's advice. With that crazy Vegas heat he deals with, I'm sure he sees Mirages all the time, making him think those triangles are better than they look
I like those triangles. They turn me on.

Reactions: rob allen

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
Don't take too much of Todd's advice. With that crazy Vegas heat he deals with, I'm sure he sees Mirages all the time, making him think those triangles are better than they look
Screenshot_20180303-094749.png

You tryin to tell me that doesn't make you feel a little funny in the pants?

Reactions: ServproRob

Joshua Johnson

Sep 7, 2013
You can get a power box that will plug into a dyrer or rang vent. It will reduce the 240 volt of those outlets to multiple 120 volt circuits.

This will give you 2 20 amp circuits from one range or dryer plug. You will need to buy the adapter cord separately. Which one you need depends upon if you have 3 prong, 4 prong outlets or both in your area.

https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=AC8391
Wow Scott! You always offer the most elegant solutions. Genius.

Reactions: smartcarpetcare