Trinity Spyder

Chris Kelley

Apr 19, 2017
Real Name
Christopher Kelley
Anybody know about this machine that isn't listed on the TRS site? Everything they put is the next best thing, so it's hard for me to read much into what their site says.

Anyway, it has a new "speed 5" which means it doesn't have to be as heavy as past machines and it is smoother because of this new super speed?

Chris Kelley

Apr 19, 2017
Real Name
Christopher Kelley
Since I posted this question, I drove down to Kentucky and bought a Spyder. I sincerely hope this doesn't start some war, but I'm going to post MY opinions of the machine thus far... This is pretty long, FYI.

I had the Orbot Sprayborg, got rid of it and here's why:

It was the Sprayborg and it's a beauty, no doubt. Also, very well-made. For me though, it seemed like I really had to work to get the results I wanted on thick pile residential. On commercial, I had to go pretty slow to get the results I wanted. Plus, the 35 pound head weight IMO is nowhere near enough, so connecting the weights was mandatory for me, which was another few step. The new weight kits don't come with separate plates, so it was the whole 40 pounds or nothing, which is fine because the whole kit put the head weight at around 75 pounds, which really did the trick for me. Problem is, if I left the kit on the machine, it put the overall weight at over 140 pounds. On the other hand, removing the weights every time was a hassle for me, especially when doing multiple jobs per day.

Bottom line is that sexy machine got great results but took some time to get them, for me. Plus, hauling the weights around and installing them was a huge hassle.

So, I took a leap of faith and bought the Spyder. It wasn't an easy decision because of the mixed information on these boards. In the end, the actual recent Trinity owners mostly love their machines, which offset the complaints. Also, John does have a "unique" way of marketing his machines on the boards which I think pisses people off. Understandable...

Anyway, I drove down there a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. John is a great guy IMO and will be the first to admit he gets too mouthy on the boards. The whole team was there and made me feel right at home. I was even offered lunch, but I didn't have time. John and Charles let me try my machine on a carpet before I made the purchase final. That sold me. I equate it to upgrading from a 4 cylinder to a V-8. The 4 banger will get you to 60 MPH but the V-8 will get you there MUCH faster.

Was it as smooth as the Orbot? No, but not too far off, especially considering how much faster it is. It's every bit as quiet though.

Does it look as good as the Orbot? Well, no, but it looks better than I thought it would. I got a blue with brushed stainless sides. The small frame with that big motor looks really good and powerful.

Onto how it has performed for me so far:

For me, it's night and day from the Orbot. Again, the Orbot cleaned just fine, it just took me adding weight each time and going slower than I wanted.

On residential cut-pile, the Spyder is great. The 79 pound head weight digs deep and the speed lets me plow right through. I can pretty much push that thing as fast as I want. I can't say it cleans better than the Orbot, I can only say it does the same job WAY faster. I simply go through the house with my oxy spotter and then clean using the on-board sprayer with whatever chem and it cleans great. I have tried to let the main chem dwell, but have not noticed a difference. I would say I'm pushing the Spyder close to twice as fast as I was with the Orbot, maybe a bit less than twice.

Steps: The Spyder is far easier to deal with on steps, for two reasons:

1- The thick handles on the Orbot were rough for me to deal with when pulling up steps. It's like my grip was weaker.
2- I either had to pull a 142 pound monster up steps if I left the weights on, or remove the weights and put them back on when I got upstairs, which was a super PITA. I couldn't clean properly without the weights, so I had to do one of those steps.

I also much prefer the lever for the spray system instead of a button. On big commercial jobs, I'd get Nintendo cramp in my right thumb from holding that button down. Just a little thing...

Yesterday is what really prompted me to write up this personal review: I did my first commercial job with the new machine. It was 2400 SF of CGD. Moderate soil with numerous coffee/soda spots and some pretty nasty traffic areas. Numerous offices with only a couple open areas that weren't very big. Typical office with lots of turns, hallways and such.

I'm telling you, it went fast. If I didn't hate doing a pass, then a 180 to go back the other direction, I would have only needed to do one pass, except on the super nasty traffic area, which only needed one fast second pass.

I used about 6-7 gallons of water, with HKE at 4 oz per gallon, about a half spray bottle of Rocket spotter and 1.5 scrub pads (I didn't need any absorbent pads). I completed the job in 2.5 hours, which included measuring, putting chairs on tables (lots) and joking around with the employees. Charged .22 cents per SF. The client wanted it done during business hours, so I had to put down wet floor signs and work around the employees. If I did the job off-hours, I know I would've been done in 1.5 hours or so. The carpet was completely dry when I left because I didn't need much solution.

The Orbot would've cleaned just as well IMO, but a lot slower and likely lots more solution.

As far as loading and unloading, I have to say the Trinity is easier. The Orbot weighs 102 and the Trinity 107. What makes the Trinity easier is that 79 pounds of the 107 is on the head, where the Orbot's 107 pounds is more spread out within the frame, making it more awkward to lift.

I love that the Spyder has 79 pounds of head weight included in that 107 pounds, whereas the Orbot has a 35 pound head weight with its 102 pounds. I don't know how anyone can properly clean any carpet without adding the weights, but that's just me.

The new Spyder also has a handle that folds all the way forward, making even more compact than the Sprayborg, IMO. The spray system tank is in a MUCH better spot than the Orbot, making getting under low stuff much easier and possible.

Now, there are some things I prefer with the Orbot:

Much easier to prime the pump with the lever. With the Trinity, I have to unplug a hose and wait for solution to come out of the pump. I think John can come up with a much better way.

Of course the Orbot is prettier, way prettier, but I think we put more emphasis on customer perception than the customer does. I only had a handful of customers comment on how cool the Orbot looked. At the end of the day, my customers want clean carpet that dries fast at a fair price. They don't really care how I get there. Plus, the Spyder looks pretty damn good. When I turn that thing on, the pad is moving around so violently that it's clear something different is happening and it's definitely not just a rotary.

Keep in mind the new orbit is 11/16th, up from 9/16th. I know people say it doesn't matter, but I can now say it does matter, and I owned and ran an Orbot, so I feel I'm qualified.

At this point, the only thing that would change my mind is if reliability is poor. That would suck, as going back to a 3/8th machine would be a huge step back for me, so fingers crossed on reliability. It seems TRS got their act together on that front, so I'm not too concerned.

So, that's it. Again, I'm just trying to pass on some objective information as I owned both machines. I've never used a Cimex, so I can't comment on that.

Let me know if you have any questions.

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
Using a red bristle driver on the Orbot helps it dig down much better on residential carpet. It also makes the Orbot much more aggressive and you don't need as much weight. I never use the velcro driver. Glad Pads or Microfiber work better on commercial carpet with the red bristle driver than Superzorbs,

The red bristle driver does put much more strain on the Orbot and that could cause problems but I haven't had any. I'm sure it will cancel the warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexus

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
Good review. I just got a new Champ with the new big orbit...no spray system. i dont need it because I clean with probiotic cleaners and dwell time is necessary. the new speed 5 is a game changer...much smoother than my Profit and Freedom machines and faster. Paint and built quality has improved also. The Champ has 71 lbs head weight, more if you flip it. in my opinion, the b est Trinity machine to date...

Chris Kelley

Apr 19, 2017
Real Name
Christopher Kelley
Hey Paul, have you used it on berber yet? I did yesterday and never had such a blast cleaning berber, as I've always struggled with traffic lanes and. Used some Intensity Green 2 oz. per gallon (good stuff, btw) and plowed right through it.

slotools

Mar 13, 2014
Real Name
mcgoo
I bought A Spyder today as a late christmas present. I am 62 and VLM has been a godsend, I do more large sq.ft. commerial and do not pursue residential as much as I used to. I usually clean encap in residential if no pet urine are detected. Still use HWE for hard surface.

I have 2 other Trinitys. and others as well, My Trinity CM has been bulletproof (other than 4 switches) and occasional prime problem, I have had employees wrap the power cord tightly between pad and motor- can really be tough to pull out, a little rust here and there, But the CM has always completed a job in good time and made me money. And has cleaned hundreds of thousands of Sq.ft.

Chris Kelley

Apr 19, 2017
Real Name
Christopher Kelley
Hope you like it too. At least this thread hasn't gone down a negative lane. I'm still really enjoying my Spyder as it is simply making me faster, which is making me more profitable. I had enough customer last week comment about the action of the Spyder orbit. I'm getting more comments about that than I ever got regarding a machine's looks.

Chris Kelley

Apr 19, 2017
Real Name
Christopher Kelley
I think once Trinity starts marketing based on evidence and not words, more people will see their movement can be better for lots of us...

slotools

Mar 13, 2014
Real Name
mcgoo
Trinity has been a little bit of a PR nightmare at times , but John Patty and Charles have been stellar to me - and as long as they make machinery that functions well, I will continue to purchase. Can't wait for their next breakthrough product.

I bought a Mytee ECO17 a few months ago, and to me represents a marvel in tech for the price. Had to sort out a few issues in the beginning with sprayers and a few tweaks, replaced a bearing, but all in all, is a fine unit.

I have no doubt The Spyder will be worth the extra money.

Chris Kelley

Apr 19, 2017
Real Name
Christopher Kelley
I feel like the Spyder is, although I haven't owned another Trinity. But compared to the Orbot, it's just so much faster. I hate saying it's at least 50%-70% faster because I haven't performed a scientific test and I detest guessing, but it really is that much faster.

slotools

Mar 13, 2014
Real Name
mcgoo
Details regarding build and shipping have not been communicated, so I will call regarding status.

I have been working steady this week and booking many appointments. Pretty good
for January.

Today on the itinerary is a large home carpet clean with many area rugs and couches and chairs.
and smaller 2 and 3 bedroom units. I will OP all but the furniture.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I feel like the Spyder is, although I haven't owned another Trinity. But compared to the Orbot, it's just so much faster. I hate saying it's at least 50%-70% faster because I haven't performed a scientific test and I detest guessing, but it really is that much faster.
Professionals know that "faster" is rarely "better". Many intangibles that are not visible to cleaners have direct impact on cleaning and durability. That is why I prefer HOS.

Reactions: Enge

Chris Kelley

Apr 19, 2017
Real Name
Christopher Kelley
Well... I have noticed I’m cleaning at least as good but much faster. That’s after running both machines a decent amount of time. We shall see about reliability, but it doesn’t seem like I’ve seen many complaints in the last few years.

Again, I’ve used and owned both.

Chris Kelley

Apr 19, 2017
Real Name
Christopher Kelley
Oh and I believe “professionals” would agree faster is indeed better when the result is the same.

Reactions: Johnson52