Travertine?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

KwikDri

Feb 3, 2018
Idaho Falls
Real Name
Jason Perkins
Business Location
United States
So we stripped and polished and it looked great once we finished. We will see what the homeowner has to say once it’s all dry and he can see the floors fully. Thanks for all recommendations and help!
You stripped and polished a porcelain? I’m assuming you used an acid along with agitation and extraction?

Jun 17, 2018
Real Name
Kristi Wimberley
You stripped and polished a porcelain? I’m assuming you used an acid along with agitation and extraction?
Yes, and the homeowner made it very clear he was not concerned with us damaging his floors after everything he put on them. But that is what we did, agitation and extraction.

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
We’re returning to the house tomorrow to try and fix the problem and I’m looking at using an acidic haze remover that’s made for stone, but wanted opinions first. We went into the house and cleaned based on thinking it was ceramic as that’s what the homeowner said, we don’t have a ton of natural stone experience, so didn’t consider that until we were finishing the job and started noticing all of the white deposits in areas where it was already dry. On top of it being a house that was flooded where contractors have already torn down and replaced walls, etc and our limited knowledge regarding natural stone, any and all advice is welcome.
Use extremely hot water to mop the floor with, that should remove that white haze.

Ted McFadden

Apr 10, 2009
www.sureshinecares.com
Real Name
Ted McFadden
Business Location
United States
Looks like porcelain.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Aug 6, 2018
Real Name
john lambrakis
3 feet of water? Yougottabekiddingme. There is hydrostatic pressure from all that weght of water and from the thinset bring up all sorts of goodies from under the tile. G=d only knows what else will come up . Goo gone is an oil base. He is getting what up with it? He may be, just maybe, resealing the residue back into the grout. Old tile setters used to rub vegetable oil into the grout (naughty naughty) to get paid on jobs where they did not let the grout slake enough to make the proper chemical reaction and the grout would haze up.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I am going to say that if it is efflorescence than it may have been caused by the flooding and water/moisture was able to get beneath, if there is a concrete sub floor then the moisture that is trapped is causing the efflorescence issue. Drying it thoroughly and rinsing with an acid rinse should help along with low moisture and thorough drying.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I am going to say that if it is efflorescence than it may have been caused by the flooding and water/moisture was able to get beneath, if there is a concrete sub floor then the moisture that is trapped is causing the efflorescence issue. Drying it thoroughly and rinsing with an acid rinse should help along with low moisture and thorough drying.
very short term remedy imo. think it'll be an ongoing battle

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
3 feet of water? Yougottabekiddingme. There is hydrostatic pressure from all that weght of water and from the thinset bring up all sorts of goodies from under the tile. G=d only knows what else will come up . Goo gone is an oil base. He is getting what up with it? He may be, just maybe, resealing the residue back into the grout. Old tile setters used to rub vegetable oil into the grout (naughty naughty) to get paid on jobs where they did not let the grout slake enough to make the proper chemical reaction and the grout would haze up.
I did some tile and grout that had six feet of water in it and it came sparkling clean
its fake tile,, clean it up and take the money and run..... after all this time there is no moisture under it,,,, we went thru quite a dry spell.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I did some tile and grout that had six feet of water in it and it came sparkling clean

its fake tile,, clean it up and take the money and run..... after all this time there is no moisture under it,,,, we went thru quite a dry spell.
He is mentioning that there is efflorescence and that the house was flooded. Thats were im thinking it might be coming from. Im suprised that you seem to ignore that this might be occurring or it might not. Sheesh dude dont be so belligerent

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
He is mentioning that there is efflorescence and that the house was flooded. Thats were im thinking it might be coming from. Im suprised that you seem to ignore that this might be occurring or it might not. Sheesh dude dont be so belligerent
I have been doing flooded houses from 5 hurrincanes and since last year its all ive been doing mostly, if it has efflorescence then it could be from gm and it could be from underneath, but I highly doubt it.. if it is just run a damp bonnet over it and clean it up and move on.... if its from water underneath, there would have been more signs of something going on.. sometimes you just have to clean it until its gone the customer wants it gone (reason he called him to clean it up so clean it up) The water slop from the flood would have been black,,, could just be sheet rock dust mopped into the floor... there is no telling what it is but if the house flooded, most of it the water went up and then went back down. ( On top of it being a house that was flooded where contractors have already torn down and replaced walls, etc and our limited knowledge regarding natural stone, any and all advice is welcome.) that's what he said,, looks like sheet rock dust haze and someone put sealer on it... strip the floor and be done with it...
not being belligerent but ive seen this stuff for 39 years...