Trauma advise please | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Trauma advise please

Cat 3

Dec 19, 2014
Real Name
Kevin West
Got a call tonight from a Propery manager we do work for. They have the place there now and will be removing the body soon. They estimate it has been 2 weeks or so. This is in a apartment complex and NO complaints of odor from neighbors as of yet. I told them to change the locks so no one can go in, call next of kin to go through the belongings before we fill the dumpster and I will be setting ozone in the morning.
My plan is to set ozone and wait for next of kin to come from out of town. Then disguard all belongings due to odor penetration, also demo all carpet, pad , vinyl, curtains ect. Wash all walls and surfaced with a solution you guys can help me with and also cut out any sub floor the body fluids touched. Maybe re finish cabinets, paint unit ect....

I have only done one other trauma so far so any help is appreciated.

Also,

Can we write this on Xactimate or what is the best way to bill out the job. I'm not sure is Xactimate has codes for this.

Thanks in advance, Kevin

owenscott

Aug 6, 2009
Friggin Cold Upstate NY
Real Name
Stop snoopin u homo
Business Location
United States
I cant even imagine that mess.
I mean ... who determines next of kin. Who decides and has the authority to tell you to throw stuff away ?

Cat 3

Dec 19, 2014
Real Name
Kevin West
Propery manager is turning into their insurance. I won't so much till we see if there is coverage. Today just went out and cleaned up the mess and set ozone for now. It very foul in there and odor has permitted everything I'm sure.

Cat 3

Dec 19, 2014
Real Name
Kevin West
Anyone know if the drywall can be saved by a particular sealer or I it may have to come out?

Cat 3

Dec 19, 2014
Real Name
Kevin West
Sorry let me clarify. I meant saved in terms of odor. No fluids on any drywall but the whole place really stinks. There are only bodily fluids in a bathroom but the body was there for 2 weeks and the apartment stinks bad.

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
Sorry let me clarify. I meant saved in terms of odor. No fluids on any drywall but the whole place really stinks. There are only bodily fluids in a bathroom but the body was there for 2 weeks and the apartment stinks bad.
If the body was in there for 2 weeks then it burst. But realistically I would pull drywall anyway. Otherwise that smell ain't going nowhere

Sent from my SM-G920V using TMF Forums mobile app

DamageClean

Apr 25, 2010
iowa
Real Name
Brent J
Business Location
United States
I know this post is Late but for future reference there is a national company named Aftermath that has some very good protocols to follow. They were very willing to provide written guidelines to restoration guys or families since most people don't clean trauma sites themselves.

C&DClean

Oct 26, 2015
Real Name
Sean Pagano
Cat3, how did you make out? Did you get protocol from Aftermath? I'm looking to possibly add this service and want to know all you have to tell. You can PM me if you like.

Reactions: The Rougarou

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
Oh the fun of death scene clean ups!
12391354_1025350787522386_2684510815670178895_n.jpg

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Reactions: Joe Kennedy

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
Plain and simple it pays out!
Training in this realm is key, Osha Hazwoper is only the first step. Licensing, bonding and insurances are must. CYA!
My personal numbers are roughly 1k to 2.5k an hour with an average technician pay of 40 an hour each.
of course those numbers can change from incident to incident depending on several factors.

And you know me Rob I dabble in a little of everything! I'm still working with some contacts designing new equipment and parts specifically designed for our industry.

Reactions: Steve Down Under

Cat 3

Dec 19, 2014
Real Name
Kevin West
CandDclean, we finally got next of kin to take what they want and we have been in there 4 days packing everything out. I went back today and pulled the carpet and emptied all the rotten food from the fridge. I am teaming up with my mentor who has a serv pro for the next steps. I have the ozone set now for the night and meeting ServPro there tomorrow to make a game plan. The trauma odor is gone now but the 14 years of yellow smoke on everything is a situation I'm not real sure what to do. I'm not sure if cleaning, sealing, and paint will do it or if we me to consider pulling all the drywall. Any ideas out there?

Reactions: Joe Kennedy

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
So tell us how it went - what was your result? Did you rip out more than you expected, or did it go as planned?

Cat 3

Dec 19, 2014
Real Name
Kevin West
The job went great. I though we may have to demo all the drywall but we left it and used 2 coats of shellac sealer and 2 coats paint. We did end up taking everything else out down to the drywall. The new tenant is in there now and there are no complaints.

John Krusenstjerna

Jan 6, 2015
Grimes, IA
www.iowactscleaners.com
Real Name
John Krusenstjerna
Business Location
United States
Sorry for the late response to this as I rarely get on this site. Generally there is no need to remove sheet rock unless blood or bodily fluids have penetrated it. In decomp situations (which we successfully clean 2-3 a week) we use our thermogen VF fogger with thermo55 citrus. this is of course all sources of odor have been properly disposed of as medical waste (required by the epa) and all contaminated or potentially contaminated surfaces have been properly cleaned and disinfected.