Transmission's gone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Coming back from a series of out of town jobs the transmission started slipping. Limped it the last 100 miles home going 40mph. By the time I was pulling into town it would no longer stay in 3rd, I made the last couple miles home going 25mph. Trucks in the shop now. Mechanic is going to see if anything can be dome to keep from having to replace but it's not promising. Now I got to figure out how I'm going to do any work the next week or so.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
you pull a trailer don't you? rent a truck till you get a replacement?

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I might have to look into it. I'm just worried about whether or not I can afford to rent one. Moneys still tight after moving. I have checks on the way but I won't see any of them till the end of the month and I spent my reserve funds on vac motors (vacs died on 4 machines in the last week!).

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor
Dang man sorry to hear that I just got my transmission fluid changed on my car and truck.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
We're gonna flush the transmission. Cost about $100 for that. Mechanic said sometimes a good flush takes care of it. They'll do that tomorrow. If that's no good I've got a friend that has a transmission he just finished rebuilding for a suburban that he'll sell me for $400 plus another $200 to install for me. I'll get the transmission cheap if he can have mine to rebuild it and sell.

Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I would try changing the transmission filter kit. If the filter is old and it gets clogged the fliud can't pass through the filter
True it can. But if that were the case. Its all too late. If it were starved for fluid it would overheat and die. Pulling dipstick and taking a wiff will tell you real quick if its cooking. Also the color of the transmissions blood. If it looks burnt its cooking. But then again todays trans are computer controlled and covered with sensors that fail. Add in shift solenoids. Could be anything. And gets pricey. If hard parts are ok they can rebuild it. But damaged parts = dollars and new or remanufactured is the way to go.

Any towing vehicle or should say full time tow vehicle. should get an transmission cooler. Not just the one The dealer put in. But an aftermarket cooler.

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor
True it can. But if that were the case. Its all too late. If it were starved for fluid it would overheat and die. Pulling dipstick and taking a wiff will tell you real quick if its cooking. Also the color of the transmissions blood. If it looks burnt its cooking. But then again todays trans are computer controlled and covered with sensors that fail. Add in shift solenoids. Could be anything. And gets pricey. If hard parts are ok they can rebuild it. But damaged parts = dollars and new or remanufactured is the way to go.

Any towing vehicle or should say full time tow vehicle. should get an transmission cooler. Not just the one The dealer put in. But an aftermarket cooler.
I just got some maitanance done on my 2006 Toyota camary they flushed the transmission they said it blocked there machine twice. :( hopefully everything goes good on the trip we are about to take

Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
I just got some maitanance done on my 2006 Toyota camary they flushed the transmission they said it blocked there machine twice. :( hopefully everything goes good on the trip we are about to take
Where you going?