Tough piece

ccclean

Mar 12, 2016
Real Name
Stephen Boisvert
IMG_5851.jpg
IMG_5861.jpg
IMG_5858.jpg

I cleaned two of these chairs yesterday, they cleaned well but would not stop browning.

Here are my questions to you guys.

I pre sprayed with Bridge-point Fabric Shampoo about 6 onces in Hydro Force
8 oz regular Bridge-point Fabric Prespray and and 5 ounces of boost all.

They cleaned great but it seemed the areas I rapid dried would brown quicker than the areas drying naturally.
Could this be because of the peroxide in the boost all?

I just put a little TCU on a bonnet and touched up the brown areas and it seemed to take care of it.
I know mixing reducers and oxidizers is bad but I was in a jam and I rinsed the boost all thoroughly.
Also the last picture I attached shows browning that was there before I started but it would get worse when wet. I see this often, what is the technical term for this?

I don’t know the material, it was very old and some sort of cotton blend, it had a slightly satin texture.

I don’t love upholstery but it can be a good pay day when you can save the day on an old antique.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Good work.

The Boost All can help remove browning, however, Boost All is alkaline. The fabric must be left on the acid side to prevent the browning from returning. The TCU is an acid and brought things back to the acid side. An acid rinse like Flex Ice, Fabset or a few other products could also have been used.

The fabric is a Jacquard weave. These are often cotton or cotton rayon blends.

If these have an orange discoloration, check inside a cushion. If there is ticking filled with feathers or down, look for any orange / brown on the ticking. This would indicate a flame retardant is damaging the fabric. In that case it is best to stay away.

Reactions: ccclean

ccclean

Mar 12, 2016
Real Name
Stephen Boisvert
Good work.

The Boost All can help remove browning, however, Boost All is alkaline. The fabric must be left on the acid side to prevent the browning from returning. The TCU is an acid and brought things back to the acid side. An acid rinse like Flex Ice, Fabset or a few other products could also have been used.

The fabric is a Jacquard weave. These are often cotton or cotton rayon blends.

If these have an orange discoloration, check inside a cushion. If there is ticking filled with feathers or down, look for any orange / brown on the ticking. This would indicate a flame retardant is damaging the fabric. In that case it is best to stay away.

So insightful!

I think it the cushions were Down, that must be it.
I did rinse with fab-set but my prespary was probably just too much

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
View attachment 73678View attachment 73679View attachment 73680

I cleaned two of these chairs yesterday, they cleaned well but would not stop browning.

Here are my questions to you guys.

I pre sprayed with Bridge-point Fabric Shampoo about 6 onces in Hydro Force
8 oz regular Bridge-point Fabric Prespray and and 5 ounces of boost all.

They cleaned great but it seemed the areas I rapid dried would brown quicker than the areas drying naturally.
Could this be because of the peroxide in the boost all?

I just put a little TCU on a bonnet and touched up the brown areas and it seemed to take care of it.
I know mixing reducers and oxidizers is bad but I was in a jam and I rinsed the boost all thoroughly.
Also the last picture I attached shows browning that was there before I started but it would get worse when wet. I see this often, what is the technical term for this?

I don’t know the material, it was very old and some sort of cotton blend, it had a slightly satin texture.

I don’t love upholstery but it can be a good pay day when you can save the day on an old antique.

Looks like rayon to me, I avoid rayon because of this. Maybe low moisture but I dont touch rayon

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Happens a lot over here in the bay area with inexperienced cleaners. Always try to identify the fiber & fabric type. When I run into this its because someone damaged it and I cannot correct it therefore I do not touch it

Looks like a bad reaction to fire retardant. Sorry to say but you might have to buy them a new piece of furniture

[email protected]

Sep 7, 2017
Long Beach
Real Name
Jay
Business Location
United States
you pre treated this with a hydro force?!?! lol.. do people do that? I've used a hydro-force for upholstery but only the cheap synthetic stuff that are huge and usually petty dirty.

I'd never use a hydro-force on a piece like this. use a hand sprayer, work on sections, this way you don't allow much moister to work its way down into the material while working on another area.

Reactions: Scott W

ccclean

Mar 12, 2016
Real Name
Stephen Boisvert
Happens a lot over here in the bay area with inexperienced cleaners. Always try to identify the fiber & fabric type. When I run into this its because someone damaged it and I cannot correct it therefore I do not touch it

Looks like a bad reaction to fire retardant. Sorry to say but you might have to buy them a new piece of furniture

The red was before I cleaned.

I gave them no guarantees, and told them in advance they may Brown. I think Scott was right on as usual.

The customer was very happy with the end result.

And yes I used Hydro Force but only at 75psi

Reactions: rob allen

Kenny Wright

Jan 29, 2009
Virginia
Real Name
Kenny Wright
Business Location
United States
From the pictures, I would guess it is flame-retardant bleeding. If it is just browning, I would hit the spots with a horsehair brush and some near full-strength Hydrox.

ccclean

Mar 12, 2016
Real Name
Stephen Boisvert
From the pictures, I would guess it is flame-retardant bleeding. If it is just browning, I would hit the spots with a horsehair brush and some near full-strength Hydrox.

Okay, the middle picture was the chair after cleaning. It cleaned fine, the red wasn’t too much of an issue the post cleaning browning was odd because it seemed the areas I rapid dried were browning more.

Any how Scott had some great insight on this piece, knowing this is called a Jacquard weave and the blend is usually with Rayon is very useful

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
The jacquard weave is the style of the fabric but to me its more important what fiber it is. I avoid Rayon because its trying to imitate silk. and trying to guess if a fire retardant has been applied is to risky for me. Low moisture might be a better option, believe me once it happens to you or you see how a fire retardant looks after a cleaning attempt you learn to be cautious! Even Scott mentioned it.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Not to offend you and I am nopt bashing on you, just offering a suggestion but hang out with an experience upholstery cleaner or attend and get IICRC certified. I know folks dont like IICRC but it wont hurt. I knew no one when i first started and man was it so so helpful and educational, plus it helps me stay confident and education equals better pay.

ccclean

Mar 12, 2016
Real Name
Stephen Boisvert
Not to offend you and I am nopt bashing on you, just offering a suggestion but hang out with an experience upholstery cleaner or attend and get IICRC certified. I know folks dont like IICRC but it wont hurt. I knew no one when i first started and man was it so so helpful and educational, plus it helps me stay confident and education equals better pay.

Not offended, I learned a lot. I only took this piece because it was in such bad shape I had nothing to lose, it looked great when all done and dry.

This was never going to clean up with low moisture.
I never knew fire retardant was an issue.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We all hate that materiel. I always tell clients “ma’am this materiel is made to be looked at, not sat on”. I set the expectation level and they have to agree damage may be permanent. I also add that “I can get it clean and healthy but I can’t guarantee the appearance”. Never had a problem since doing that.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We all hate that materiel. I always tell clients “ma’am this materiel is made to be looked at, not sat on”. I set the expectation level and they have to agree damage may be permanent. I also add that “I can get it clean and healthy but I can’t guarantee the appearance”. Never had a problem since doing that.

ccclean

Mar 12, 2016
Real Name
Stephen Boisvert

That’s why I come here, there is always something to learn, even if you think you already know it.

As the Chinese say

"Be not afraid of growing slowly, only of standing still."

ccclean

Mar 12, 2016
Real Name
Stephen Boisvert

Under promise and over deliver is a great way to go.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

rob allen