Tough one for me

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Allied

Life is good!
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
I have ran away fast from jute rugs since the first one i ever cleaned. Not a good experience.

But a restoration company i do lots of work for asked me if i could do this one. I will get them to relase me from liability before i start.

That is a water stain in the backing. How would you all approach this one?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I’d be putting acid rinse on it to see if I could correct the browning. Mix the acid at 1:10 in a pump sprayer. Probably need to block it out with some tension to flatten the rug back out.

Honestly the cost to restore this rug is probably more than buying a new one.

Last edited:

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
The rug new is $499 sooo...

Block it, hand shampoo the face fibers, citric acid on the back, force drying each independently and charge $350. It's a 2 hour job over the course of 2 today's after work. I'd do it, especially with zero liability.

Having said that, I've never had a customer release me from liability for doing my job, I don't think that conveys confidence to any potential customer. If thought I needed one, I didn't take the job.

Allied

Life is good!
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
The rug new is $499 sooo...

Block it, hand shampoo the face fibers, citric acid on the back, force drying each independently and charge $350. It's a 2 hour job over the course of 2 today's after work. I'd do it, especially with zero liability.

Having said that, I've never had a customer release me from liability for doing my job, I don't think that conveys confidence to any potential customer. If thought I needed one, I didn't take the job.

It's for a local ServPro...i do all their upholstery after one of their techs turned a white cotton sofa yellow...it was high end stuff...Cost them a bunch to reupholster.

They call me with their 'complicated' work and i always wow them. So i am not going to lose them over this. If it was a regular customer i would have turned it down immediately.

But i have already told them i was not doing it...don't want to ruin my success rate with them. :)

Thanks for the info tho.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
It's for a local ServPro...i do all their upholstery after one of their techs turned a white cotton sofa yellow...it was high end stuff...Cost them a bunch to reupholster.

They call me with their 'complicated' work and i always wow them. So i am not going to lose them over this. If it was a regular customer i would have turned it down immediately.

But i have already told them i was not doing it...don't want to ruin my success rate with them. :)

Thanks for the info tho.
Tell them if the insurance replaces it you would like to have it to practice on.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I would if it was wool or another fine fabric...but i think i am going to stick to declining jute work.
It can be a pain for sure. I’d love to have that rug.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I understand. Back when I started cleaning carpet 50% of them were jute backed. We did all kinds of water damage and never had a problem. Jute is actually a pretty stable fiber.

Latest posts

Top Bottom