Top portables

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Lift is what gets the stuff out of the carpet, and CFM is what moves the stuff from the wand to the waste tank.
There is a huge difference between 2 vacs vs 3 vacs, when I run my etm with 2 vacs the dry times are longer than running 3 vacs also the wand is less louder with 2 vacs vs 2. According to manufacturer my 2 vacs are giving out 230-240cfm, by adding the 3rd vac is another 140cfm and I can see that difference physically the wand is louder and the carpets are dryer. I am not against lift here but in my opinion there has to be a minimum lift of at least 130 inches of lift so it is effective, if we can get higher lift it is better, however we are not lifting tons of water out of the carpet so 130-140 is sufficient enough to do the job, what is critical is that the air flow. In the past I had machines that I have used with very high lift but low air flow and I use to advertise 8 hours of drying time and at the same time I was able to use only a 12 inch wand with 02 flow and not more then 25 ft of 1.5 inch hose. Today I am using 10 flow 14 inch wand up to 150 ft of hose and advertise 2-4 hours of dry times. Why is this because of higher cfm and ok lift. I wish I can have higher lift but what I am running currently is actually works extremely well.

Last edited:

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Balance is key. At 150' leak free from the motors to the wand 2 LX's in series are proven winners (no 1.5" hose leader hose), 3 are much better. I run daily with 10-12" hg average operating lift (LX/ZX trailing) at 35-50'. Dry times are incredible and I lift the carpet off the floor on the back stroke, fine soil removal is unrivaled without a glide.... my filters are friggin hammered fast when I lift and I'm an old guy.

With electric motors I recommend 2" to the floor and let the carpet interface determine the lift. Choking it down before the floor is an unnecessary penalty paid upfront.

Last edited:

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Exactly stronger CFM and lift cleans quicker no doubt. Bottle neck is a theory not a fact. Fact is something we would experience physically that we know the results.

I clean with a 56 blower maxed out rpms and a high performance portable daily. Guess what? If it comes down to it, the porty at 35' wins any day that ends in Y vs the TM in the driveway 100- 150' away. That's a fact for me, because both have similar flow.

Y'all are going to go through phases of equipment results in your career. The longer you do this, the more you will question the industry standards and the less you believe those glossy brochures. As I have always said, don't believe someone on the internet, prove it to yourself. I promise you that a 1.25 gpm high heat TM will look stupid next to a 2 GPM flow, high lift porty running 50' at 130°F.

Blowers eat no matter what, the bigger the driven gears the faster they evacuate the waste tank and the quicker the lift times at the floor. If you are a wand lifter with a portable or a small blower you are sabotaging your recovery for poor technique.

If you are choking a porty down with girly man 1.5" hose or wands, reducing the cfms and artificially increasing lift before the wand hits the floor, essentially you are reducing max hose run before you start. Not a good choice IMO and if you test this through... you will come to the same conclusion.

Last edited:

tdan369

Nov 29, 2020
Real Name
Trent Daniels
Balance is key. At 150' leak free from the motors to the wand 2 LX's in series are proven winners (no 1.5" hose leader hose), 3 are much better. I run daily with 10-12" hg average operating lift (LX/ZX trailing) at 35-50'. Dry times are incredible and I lift the carpet off the floor on the back stroke, fine soil removal is unrivaled without a glide.... my filters are friggin hammered fast when I lift and I'm an old guy.

With electric motors I recommend 2" to the floor and let the carpet interface determine the lift. Choking it down before the floor is an unnecessary penalty paid upfront.
Hi Jim, Do you trigger on the forward stroke and then slightly lift the wand and trigger on the back stroke in same path moving right to left 50% wand width to the end of the row and then come back to starting point with dry strokes?

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I clean with a 56 blower maxed out rpms and a high performance portable daily. Guess what? If it comes down to it, the porty at 35' wins any day that ends in Y vs the TM in the driveway 100- 150' away. That's a fact for me, because both have similar flow.

Y'all are going to go through phases of equipment results in your career. The longer you do this, the more you will question the industry standards and the less you believe those glossy brochures. As I have always said, don't believe someone on the internet, prove it to yourself. I promise you that a 1.25 gpm high heat TM will look stupid next to a 2 GPM flow, high lift porty running 50' at 130°F.

Blowers eat no matter what, the bigger the driven gears the faster they evacuate the waste tank and the quicker the lift times at the floor. If you are a wand lifter with a portable or a small blower you are sabotaging your recovery for poor technique.

If you are choking a porty down with girly man 1.5" hose or wands, reducing the cfms and artificially increasing lift before the wand hits the floor, essentially you are reducing max hose run before you start. Not a good choice IMO and if you test this through... you will come to the same conclusion.
I agree 100% I love my 35 hoses

Reactions: Jim Davisson