Top 50 prespray comparison test | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Top 50 prespray comparison test

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
Well said Rob. I know that you don't need me to defend you, you are perfectly capable of defending yourself. But this guy pushed my buttons. I am on the side of the guy who puts his money where his mouth is, and does something, even if he might make a mistake in the process. That's how we learn after all. And now he has resorted to name calling. I could have predicted that. Glad to see you respond to this troll, and I'm out on this thread now.
For the record I put my money where my mouth was several times in my dealings with rob. If he wants to come out and explain that's cool, but he won't. And me, I'm just a troll

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
To be fair, the CRI has a standardized testing process for all sorts of presprays, but it includes a specific environment, specific measured soil loads before and after, and all sorts of other engineering controls that don't exist in the real world to test "performance". Thus the performance of a prespray under ideal conditions isn't always going to translate into similar performance under the conditions in which you guys find yourselves.

Yes, we who are on the chemistry side of things see it all through "ought to" glasses. We are given certain scientific parameters under which, all else being equal, Product A should outperform Product B. But life ain't always equal. And the only way to test that is in the field.
The CRI lab coat guys rated Rug Dr Platinum plus, use fancy meters to measure and they use this simulated dirt.

I wear no lab coat, use real soil and use my eyes that have cleaned carpets for 35 years in the trenches.

But I do keep some of the fake dirt around.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Did your wife write that?
Don't ever bring my wife into a disagreement. Deal with me directly as I deal with you directly. If you do it again I'll ban you.

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
Scott and I are doing some presentations August 10 and 11 at an IICRC science conference. One of the topics that will be presented discusses the research we did and all of the further research that needs to be done as a result. We have a lot more questions than when we started. Science is never settled unless you are trying to win a political argument and shut down debate. The beauty of research is that you know more, but you are also more aware of what you do not know. This quest for knowledge propels further research. Alexander Graham Bell would be amazed that his invention of the telephone has resulted in I-phones. We will learn from Rob's testing (which is a great service to us), but we will have even more questions than when he started. Isn't that great!! We get to learn and explore more.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I'm sorry but you were the one who brought your wife into our business
There's a spirited argument and then there's just pure disrespect. Dude you're trying to disrespect the brother in his own house.....pretty sure you've never contributed a dime to make this forum run or be what it is today....pretty sure you've never contributed a dime to the test that Robs doing right now.
What you have contributed are several smart ass rude comments and a whole lot of disrespect, nobodies trying to hear that man, take the test results for what it's worth to you....and be thankful robs taking his time and money to do the tests or dont....but cut the rest of the bullshit out man.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Rob you are not in the appearance business, you are in the cleaning business.

I have to respectfully disagree. We actually ARE in the appearance business. True, we do clean carpets (and other goods too. I get it) but WHY do people call us to clean their carpets? When a customer looks at their dirty carpet what they see is dirt. That's the appearance. We come in, remove the dirt and change the appearance. Pretty simple to me.

I hate to make this about a play on words though, so as not to look like an ass, we do both but do it for one goal. Appearance. Nothing more.

(Unless you're a nutty, self proclaimed guru, scientist who thinks he knows more than us and uses the health B.S. to sell cleaning. Hello Dr. You Know Who You Are. I Still Think You're An Idiot And Proved It To You 20 Years Ago).

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
I have to respectfully disagree. We actually ARE in the appearance business. True, we do clean carpets (and other goods too. I get it) but WHY do people call us to clean their carpets? When a customer looks at their dirty carpet what they see is dirt. That's the appearance. We come in, remove the dirt and change the appearance. Pretty simple to me.

I hate to make this about a play on words though, so as not to look like an ass, we do both but do it for one goal. Appearance. Nothing more.

(Unless you're a nutty, self proclaimed guru, scientist who thinks he knows more than us and uses the health B.S. to sell cleaning. Hello Dr. You Know Who You Are. I Still Think You're An Idiot And Proved It To You 20 Years Ago).
I don't know OCV ........ I'm skeptical . ROFL !!
All the Best, Ed

Reactions: Sean M Collins

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
The CRI lab coat guys rated Rug Dr Platinum plus, use fancy meters to measure and they use this simulated dirt.

I wear no lab coat, use real soil and use my eyes that have cleaned carpets for 35 years in the trenches.

But I do keep some of the fake dirt around.

I lost a lot of respect for the CRI when they vouched for the Rug Doctor like that.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I lost a lot of respect for the CRI when they vouched for the Rug Doctor like that.

Actually, I don't. In fact I believe that the Rug Doctor is a pretty darn good machine considering what it is and what it was designed to do. Here....Let me explain.

We all know that the Rug Doctor was built for the rental market, right? And how long have those machines been around? DECADES is the answer. Why is that? Is it because they don't clean well? Well.....That can't be it because if that were the case they wouldn't be hanging around all these years....I mean decades.

If a product doesn't do what it claimed to do, what happens? It goes bye-bye, right? Of course. So then can somebody explain to me why a product is so hated by Professional carpet cleaners, and yet loved by the general public? I look forward to reading the answers.

Now, here is something else to consider and this is big people and you better pay attention because it affects all of us. Go on amazon, type in Rug Doctor and read all of the reviews. 95% of them are positive. People LOVE their Rug Doctor. So much so that you will find that these people claim it to do a much better job than the professional that they use to hire. Truth be told, that doesn't surprise me as I have seen my share of awful "Professional" carpet cleaners in my time. My guess is so have you.

Another thing to look at....The directions of use from the manufacture. Look at some of the truckmount cleaning procedure written by the actual manufacturer. Now read how many wet passes are required and how many dry passes are required in order to achieve optimal results. I'll let you guys prove it to yourself. You will be stunned.

Lastly, 5 years ago I bought my late father a Rug Doctor for his house in Venice, Fl. I was living in NY and couldn't clean his carpet for him. When he passed away and I had to clean out the house to sell, there was the little blue Rug Doctor. Untouched. So I took it. One day I decided to see what this little shit could do and boy was I surprised. This little machine kicks ass. Now, I have owned my share of portable extractors in my 38 years and most of them were okay machines. Some worse than others. Certainly more powerful than a Rug Doctor, but they damn sure didn't clean carpets any better. Just faster. Would I recommend using a Rug Doctor for business? HELL NO! Why? It's too slow and too small. You'd go out of business. But that doesn't mean they're junk. They were built for a very specific reason BY A PROFESSIONAL carpet cleaner way back when and they have served the common folk well.

So while many professional carpet cleaners are all butt hurt over the CRI approval of this little wonder, you must not whine over it. Instead, LEARN from it.

That's all. Carry On.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Reactions: admin and M.Nelson

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Actually, I don't. In fact I believe that the Rug Doctor is a pretty darn good machine considering what it is and what it was designed to do. Here....Let me explain.

We all know that the Rug Doctor was built for the rental market, right? And how long have those machines been around? DECADES is the answer. Why is that? Is it because they don't clean well? Well.....That can't be it because if that were the case they wouldn't be hanging around all these years....I mean decades.

If a product doesn't do what it claimed to do, what happens? It goes bye-bye, right? Of course. So then can somebody explain to me why a product is so hated by Professional carpet cleaners, and yet loved by the general public? I look forward to reading the answers.

Now, here is something else to consider and this is big people and you better pay attention because it affects all of us. Go on amazon, type in Rug Doctor and read all of the reviews. 95% of them are positive. People LOVE their Rug Doctor. So much so that you will find that these people claim it to do a much better job than the professional that they use to hire. Truth be told, that doesn't surprise me as I have seen my share of awful "Professional" carpet cleaners in my time. My guess is so have you.

Another thing to look at....The directions of use from the manufacture. Look at some of the truckmount cleaning procedure written by the actual manufacturer. Now read how many wet passes are required and how many dry passes are required in order to achieve optimal results. I'll let you guys prove it to yourself. You will be stunned.

Lastly, 5 years ago I bought my late father a Rug Doctor for his house in Venice, Fl. I was living in NY and couldn't clean his carpet for him. When he passed away and I had to clean out the house to sell, there was the little blue Rug Doctor. Untouched. So I took it. One day I decided to see what this little shit could do and boy was I surprised. This little machine kicks ass. Now, I have owned my share of portable extractors in my 38 years and most of them were okay machines. Some worse than others. Certainly more powerful than a Rug Doctor, but they damn sure didn't clean carpets any better. Just faster. Would I recommend using a Rug Doctor for business? HELL NO! Why? It's too slow and too small. You'd go out of business. But that doesn't mean they're junk. They were built for a very specific reason BY A PROFESSIONAL carpet cleaner way back when and they have served the common folk well.

So while many professional carpet cleaners are all butt hurt over the CRI approval of this little wonder, you must not whine over it. Instead, LEARN from it.

That's all. Carry On.
Valid points Rich. Changed my perspective.

I suppose my only gripe is they rated it above a 59 60 hp 5cp pump machine I owned. To achieve this I was told they did 20+ passes over the fake dirt. So while it has its "place" it should not be "over rated" imho. Thanks Rich. That post was great.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro

I suppose my only gripe is they rated it above a 59 60 hp 5cp pump machine I owned. To achieve this I was told they did 20+ passes over the fake dirt. So while it has its "place" it should not be "over rated" imho. Thanks Rich. That post was great.

I agree. (y)

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz

That's all. Carry On.
We'll be it as it may I've used the Rug Doctor and the better built Kent C-4. They are both pieces of shit that clean like shit. Why they've been around so long? A couple reasons I can think of but there are more I suppose.

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz

Money was how it was rated so high. Those machines are good for light maintainence at best. i actually owned the Kent C4 for a couple years. Got it for my wife for light cleaning. It's junk and I gave it away.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I can only say, complaining that the Rug Doctor rated high given its intended performance and use compared to a more professional machine which has a completely different intended performance and use, is a bit like complaining that a Maybach doesn't out-perform a fishing boat.

I've said before that a professional with a Rug Doctor will get better results than a homeowner with a truckmount, and I stand by that. Knowing the limitations and expectations of the machine with which you are dealing goes a long way toward getting expected or better-than-expected results.

For being the little "George Foreman grill wanna-be" that it is, the Rug Doctor rated high with the CRI because of its low power draw and dB level, as well as its soil-removal and appearance-correction performance when used according to directions.

This should in no way be taken to indicate that it's "as good as" a more powerful, bigger, noisier, gasoline-powered unit that could suck a bowling ball up the wand tube.

Reactions: vibra vacster