Took on my first "employee" today

FloorSolutions

Jul 9, 2012
Long Island, NY
Real Name
Rich Troia
Business Location
United States
A girl I know has been out of work, so im going to take her on to do commission-based sales for mom & pop commercial jobs. She's also going to take care of my phones/booking and take over my facebook and online marketing such as yelp and AL to make it all a little more appealing for me. Im going to give her 30% of all jobs, since she will do all the leg work from the initial phone calls/meetings and booking up until i do the cleaning. I know its a fairly high commission for her, but if she can get the job done, its worth it. She's a young, pretty girl who knows how to act and dress properly, and i believe she will be a great asset to me.

There is a much higher profit margin with commercial work, which is why im going to put this into motion before i breakout into starting an upholstery-only division over the winter/spring of next year. Ive already landed a chain of 6 UPS stores on my own,after having cleaned both of the owners homes and rental apts. as well.

So with this, comes time to purchase a 175 so i can offer encap on a larger scale now, and possibly a second trailer or van to move my helper up to a tech for my sub work. If this even semi-takes off, a cimex will be in my near future as well.

Its absolutely amazing how Ive gone from cleaning with a single vac 100psi porty, and thinking i was doing great work, to the point im at now in only a year. A lot of hard work, blood and tears, on top of a lot of reading have gone to get me here today. And i have TMF to thank for a lot of it. Im by no means on the level of some of the guys on here, but i know my work is still better than A LOT of my competition, and thats why im at where i am.

FloorSolutions

Jul 9, 2012
Long Island, NY
Real Name
Rich Troia
Business Location
United States
let me rephrase that......30% of all NEW jobs that come as a result of her direct efforts or new online marketing. my sub jobs, repeats and random calls i get from my wrap etc. dont go to her.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
30% is waaay too high IMO. I'd start with 10%. She will have to work harder i.e., get more jobs for you and you can reign in more profit. Not to seem mysogynistic but why hire a female when you can hire a man? This is physical work. Woman are the decision makers and they generally want to see a man doing the work. My wife is extremely knowledgable and excellent on the phone but women still want to speak with me , most times, regarding technical questions.

FloorSolutions

Jul 9, 2012
Long Island, NY
Real Name
Rich Troia
Business Location
United States
30% is waaay too high IMO. I'd start with 10%. She will have to work harder i.e., get more jobs for you and you can reign in more profit. Not to seem mysogynistic but why hire a female when you can hire a man? This is physical work. Woman are the decision makers and they generally want to see a man doing the work. My wife is extremely knowledgable and excellent on the phone but women still want to speak with me , most times, regarding technical questions.
i went with 30, because thats what i give to the companies that sub-contract to me. she's basically doing the same thing by answering phones, setting apointments and finding the jobs. No actual work on the jobsites, just everything until that point... she's also going to invest her own cash for small advertising as she wants, and is happy with the arrangement. The initial cleanings will be 30%, and repeat will be 10-15%.

im using a woman first and foremost, because she is smart, learns quickly and has experience in both marketing and sales. if its a male she encounters, they will enjoy meeting with a young smart pretty lady. if its another lady, she knows what to say to appeal to their female side.

I honestly would take a male employee, an alien or a talking donkey if they had the same attitude, drive and qualifications as this woman does. I just want the job done, and my company represented the right way.

are there any downsides to having a sales person make cold calls, and go business to business to talk to people? counting she knows what she's talking about and learns the business and my ways properly?

Reactions: Mike C. and Gavin

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
I hope it works out well for you. Kinda sucks but most people just have predisposed ideas of female expertise regarding any male dominated profession. Especially when it involves something in the trades. If a woman came out to do a bid on my roof I probably wouldn't even consider the bid and I'd much prefer a woman or a 'fagela' do arrange my wedding. Just sayin'

FloorSolutions

Jul 9, 2012
Long Island, NY
Real Name
Rich Troia
Business Location
United States
I hope it works out well for you. Kinda sucks but most people just have predisposed ideas of female expertise regarding any male dominated profession. Especially when it involves something in the trades. If a woman came out to do a bid on my roof I probably wouldn't even consider the bid and I'd much prefer a woman or a 'fagela' do arrange my wedding. Just sayin'
i gotta admit, i enjoy reading your posts. you sure as all hell dont pull any punches or sugar coat what your trying to say.

roofing i agree or something of that nature. but cleaning is viewed as something woman do, so im thinking it may go well.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
i gotta admit, i enjoy reading your posts. you sure as all hell dont pull any punches or sugar coat what your trying to say.

roofing i agree or something of that nature. but cleaning is viewed as something woman do, so im thinking it may go well.
I really appreciate that response. I talk on this forum the way I speak to people in person. I personally have always had an aversion to pretense in any shape or form and have little patience for that character flaw in people whom I come in contact with. Seems like we drink from the same trough. :)

Cleaning Concierge

Jul 13, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Real Name
Barrett Wiley
Business Location
United States
Take her on a few jobs with you so she has a little experience under her belt to relate too. You can give her basic technical experience to draw from during her sales calls and it will help her identify new clients. This is good for any new sales person to the cleaning industry

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

FloorSolutions

Jul 9, 2012
Long Island, NY
Real Name
Rich Troia
Business Location
United States
Take her on a few jobs with you so she has a little experience under her belt to relate too. You can give her basic technical experience to draw from during her sales calls and it will help her identify new clients. This is good for any new sales person to the cleaning industry

already thought of that, its a great idea. I also gave her the TMF ride along DVD to watch as well. I plan on, and she's was happy to agree to come along on a few of each job. Carpet, tile, upholstery, and repairs on both commercial and residential.

She wont ever do the work, but i know its ideal for her to know enough that she could clean floors.

Cleaning Concierge

Jul 13, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Real Name
Barrett Wiley
Business Location
United States
Good..let her help a bit on jobs...seeing/watching and doing are different things

FloorSolutions

Jul 9, 2012
Long Island, NY
Real Name
Rich Troia
Business Location
United States
30% is high to start off at, if it works out well she will soon be asking for some type of raise. You can always go up on commission but it is very hard to go down.
when that time comes, ill add on a small weekly salary. Im not sure how its going to go over, but i guess we'll see.

i wont retract my offer to her, as i feel its dishonest, so this is a learning experience. my pricing is low as it is, so i have some wiggle room to adjust things there if need be as well to make myself more money. And ill know when/if i hire another sales person in the future.

Also......would it be a bad idea to ask her to spend at least a few minutes a week, say on TMF, and ask a question or two to further her learning and get ideas and what not from people besides me?

FloorSolutions

Jul 9, 2012
Long Island, NY
Real Name
Rich Troia
Business Location
United States
Good..let her help a bit on jobs...seeing/watching and doing are different things

i wasent going to ask her to go and actually do the physical cleaning, but im sure she would. you really think it would make her that much better in a customers eyes, to clean a couple of times at first?

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
i wasent going to ask her to go and actually do the physical cleaning, but im sure she would. you really think it would make her that much better in a customers eyes, to clean a couple of times at first?
I think having some hands on experience will go along way in selling jobs, they may ask questions and she will be able to answer.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Hows it going on the employee situation?

Blacktiedetailing

www.crsurfacecare.com
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2011
Las Vegas
WWW.CRSurfaceCare.com
Real Name
Jeff Kondra
Business Location
United States
Jeremiah from Idaho did a ride along with me last week and let me say that I could get used to having a helper. We absolutely killed it for 8 hours. I did more work than I could of done on my own even though they were small jobs. I did roughly $700-800 for the day. WIthout him I probably would of been maxed out at $4-500. I could use a good helper every day..

Todd, get your butt to Henderson so I can use you as my whipping boy!!!! @$7.50 per hour......

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
I certainly think it would, also prepare a 10 Point(or?) Questionaire for her to study and LEARN! The more knowledge she has the more confident she will be = more sales! The 30% commish is relative...If it makes you$$$...do it. You'll know soon enough! Also if she is taking calls, facebook,etc..that's worth something. Just my thoughts! 30% 0f ZIP=ZIP!

FloorSolutions

Jul 9, 2012
Long Island, NY
Real Name
Rich Troia
Business Location
United States
Hows it going on the employee situation?
honestly it ended up falling through. she booked me a few nice appts, and then got involved with some new guy. now she wont answer me since apparently driving around with a garbage man that makes $15hr at night is more exciting than making real money, and being a sales/marketing manager for me.

i dont need people like that anyway, and will find someone else now to take her place that will be a good worked, and positive force for my company.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
honestly it ended up falling through. she booked me a few nice appts, and then got involved with some new guy. now she wont answer me since apparently driving around with a garbage man that makes $15hr at night is more exciting than making real money, and being a sales/marketing manager for me.

i dont need people like that anyway, and will find someone else now to take her place that will be a good worked, and positive force for my company.
RUT ROW! Get used to it! Good staff...tough to find & KEEP! Don't give up...!

FloorSolutions

Jul 9, 2012
Long Island, NY
Real Name
Rich Troia
Business Location
United States
RUT ROW! Get used to it! Good staff...tough to find & KEEP! Don't give up...!
oh trust me i know. ive been on the managerial side when i worked for other companies, and in charge of hiring/firing. ive seen sometimes you go through 15-20 guys to find one decent one, nevermind a truly good one.