Too Much Negative Pressure? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Too Much Negative Pressure?

Timothyscarpet

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
Is there such a thing? I noticed since I've purchased and use my door seal there's a massive pressure difference in the home while I have our air duct machine running....could it be coincidence that yesterday one of our clients called saying after we cleaned the ducts her water heater wasn't working...I'm wondering if it sucked out the pilot light? Then again you'd think the furnace pilot would have also gone out. Anyways I thought it was interesting that I have noticeable air rushing into the house once we start up our machine.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Energy efficient homes yes. Water heater by furnace? Perhaps compressed air accidentally blew out pilot light..I have done this Maybe furnace newer and glow plug not a standing pilot light. Yes door jam you will get negative air as home will have air-make up. What ever you are sucking out the house ,home will make up. Easy fix, open a window on other side of house 1/3 ( far bedroom or something. That should work. Oh and watch wood fire places in energy efficient homes. Had one the other day start smoking out the house. Enclosed chimney and negative air caused back draft . Need a hot fire . The lady was just starting up the fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Timothyscarpet

Timothyscarpet

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
Energy efficient homes yes. Water heater by furnace? Perhaps compressed air accidentally blew out pilot light..I have done this Maybe furnace newer and glow plug not a standing pilot light. Yes door jam you will get negative air as home will have air-make up. What ever you are sucking out the house ,home will make up. Easy fix, open a window on other side of house 1/3 ( far bedroom or something. That should work. Oh and watch wood fire places in energy efficient homes. Had one the other day start smoking out the house. Enclosed chimney and negative air caused back draft . Need a hot fire . The lady was just starting up the fire.
The open window sounds like a good idea, except when its 25 degrees outside hahaha do you ever clean with a portable negative air machine? Been thinking about adding one for the real cold winter days (in MN)

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
The open window sounds like a good idea, except when its 25 degrees outside hahaha do you ever clean with a portable negative air machine? Been thinking about adding one for the real cold winter days (in MN)
I shut down in cold months. Im above you in Manitoba Can. Have not thought about a portable . We go through basement window most times ( or attached garage) with vac hose . Attached garage we bring door right down to the 10 inch hose . Then put door jam on door leading into house. Basement window we put pillows to fill the rest of the window up. On a duct job we may cool the house down 3-4 degrees from start to finish. Ya going through front door very rare for us when temps dip below freezing. Door jam still allows home air make up. So does basement window with pillows / or going through attached garage . The house needs to “‘burb “ when under negative air ( especially energy efficient homes). Ya crack a window just a bit in a far room or basement . Will help alot

Last edited: