Tong Dang Bentley Swivel Wand | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Tong Dang Bentley Swivel Wand

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Van still says Magna Dry - got the impression that was like 20 years ago at least??
We still run with that name I own the rights as a former franchisee. We've considered changing it many times. it would be ruff we have to filing cabinets full of people that recognize the name.

Magna dry corporate died at least 20 years ago. Some of us former franchise owners chose to keep the name some did not

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Launched my 4:10 in Georgia on the boat ramp, pulled the boat home in 4 high (stopped at lake Wateree and whacked'em on the way home taking back roads), only reused the axel clips on the rebuild. Lots of scrap metal that weekend driving back from Clark's Hill. Hanger lock my ass, hand grenade is more like it! $2700 in parts....
Dude that stinks
Finding one someone that can set up a diff just right is rough.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Slide ins have mobility, PTO's have longevity, depends on who and what you are as for what's the best plan. Tech based operator... slide in, owner operator... Butler.
I've had exposure to 4 different carpet companies and the PTO's have cost them more money and time vs the slide ins. I didn't work for ZeroRez but had an interesting interview with the manager where I saw two PTOs sitting in garage and he told me both were not functional.

For the van I just purchased I'm trying out my first slide in with liquid cooled engine 3 cylinder kubota should be interesting to see its longevity.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I've had exposure to 4 different carpet companies and the PTO's have cost them more money and time vs the slide ins. I didn't work for ZeroRez but had an interesting interview with the manager where I saw two PTOs sitting in garage and he told me both were not functional.

For the van I just purchased I'm trying out my first slide in with liquid cooled engine 3 cylinder kubota should be interesting to see its longevity.
PTO's are bulletproof just like inboard engines on a boat. They have relays, solenoids, sensors and fuses that they rely on to function... This is what fücks up the new user, not the powerplant it has a quarter-million to a half a million miles plus in its lifespan. If it drives to the job it should work.... If it doesn't work it should be easy to fix for the right guy. A tech is lost when a red light comes on because they probably don't want to be there in the first place. Less moving parts on the TM side to fail in all reality.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
PTO's are bulletproof just like inboard engines on a boat. They have relays, solenoids, sensors and fuses that they rely on to function... This is what fücks up the new user, not the powerplant it has a quarter-million to a half a million miles plus in its lifespan. If it drives to the job it should work.... If it doesn't work it should be easy to fix for the right guy. A tech is lost when a red light comes on because they probably don't want to be there in the first place. Less moving parts on the TM side to fail in all reality.
Our Butler from 1995 had close to 461,000 miles and God knows how many hours the gauge stop working. And we bypass the heat exchanger (which could have been repaired) for a little giant we wanted insane Heat.
The van went to the scrap yard and the Butler went off to somebody on eBay. And to tell you the truth I was sad to see you go.

But I'm very happy with my current setup it is multi-functional

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
$2,300 upkeep for the TM but what was the upkeep on the van?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
$2,300 upkeep for the TM but what was the upkeep on the van?
It would take a lot of math to figure out. I had half a million miles on some of the tin under that hood. That rig averaged 90-100k a year in it's lifespan with an initial investment of 45k, it was a great investment especially when gas was 95¢ a gallon when I bought it. Back then we didn't care about fuel prices cuz they were making more everyday.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
@Ymetimme chevy called me today. They want $850 to fix my rear blinker/brake light!

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Some of the same parts on this TM will be reborn this winter in a monster slide in. The 47 blower with the slave shaft will power a pump without detracting from engine HP at 3600 RPM. Add a couple of Cobb WLD55's to the mix and it will be a crazy dual wand machine at 1.6 GPH burn.

Reactions: ACP and J20770

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Yea, body control module. I told them I’ll fix it myself. I did want it fixed before I flew back so I have a right blinker and brake light. But I’m not paying $850 to plug in a module

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Yea, body control module. I told them I’ll fix it myself. I did want it fixed before I flew back so I have a right blinker and brake light. But I’m not paying $850 to plug in a module
You want to make sure that you don't need a VIN match body control module it may need programmed to the vehicle.
I'm not certain that it does but if it does and you install it without it being programmed it will
Not function.
But if it does not it's no big deal it's a simple swap

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
True in a sense but nothing compares to real world experience, especially in a business like this.

I still to this day look back on IICRC classes I took and laugh at how big of a noob I was.

Once youve done 5,000 jobs youll put down the burn test kit and do the same
Yes I am still wondering how guys can look at a carpet and know if its nylon or poly/olefin. Nowhere near 500 jobs yet. Would be nice if I didn't have to fiber test!

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Yes I am still wondering how guys can look at a carpet and know if its nylon or poly/olefin. Nowhere near 500 jobs yet. Would be nice if I didn't have to fiber test!
I rarely will mistake between a nylon and poly. Just a walk through I would look at the carpet to see distorted or texture loss on those traffic lanes or under the computer desk where the chair is. Nylon will not have these type of wear and tear that easily. Also nylon will feel firm and soft and look thick, poly will look skinny. A 30 year old nylon will loose it's firmness. The only time I can't tell between the two is that if the poly is a fairly new carpet that all the wear and tear still doesn't exist, however it's noticable when cleaning it because the wand glides easier on a poly then a nylon.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Polyesters are usually a brighter color as well and you can see the "glitter" is what I call it on the fibers.

Nylon generally duller color and not much wear pattern

Reactions: Fedri