To the multi van guys - whats your daily goal

leofry

Feb 12, 2009
bardstown kentucky
Real Name
john rogers
ok if you have more than one van whats your daily goal per van?
$600 ? $800? $1000?.

now i don;t know if you look at it like this but in other words do you think ok i need $800 per van for 200 days a year, the reason i say 200 days is because i would assume we all have those weeks where we are slow and of course we have January and Febuary that seems to be slow for most of us....

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
For me, there is more than one side to this. One is to get to a point where the van pays for itself. That is the easy part. Two is to keep a tech busy. This presents a little more of a challenge. Booking enough work for the second tech right after buying a second rig is a bit of a balancing act.
Ideally the first tech gets so overbooked that the second tech takes some of the load and they both stay busy enough. Not so bad in the busy season. Tougher in the slow season. This is where some commercial work comes in handy or diversifying into other services would help.
I like to see the first truck pull 800/ day and the second 600/ day with the goal being 1000/day. In our part of the country; I'd like to have 250 days of work. :)

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
great info so do just put one man on the van ?
Yes one man to a van. Two during training (of course). It is easier for me to keep track if there is only one man in a van. If work slows a bit I can always book heavy for van 1 and put two techs on the truck. :)

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
now didn't I start a thread on that awhile back? Comparing income for a one person truck to a two person truck. Seems one person truck is the way to go

Do the numbers

Reactions: leofry

Smittys6

Mar 31, 2015
Real Name
Steve Smith
Although I run 1-man vans, during some experimentation I found a 2-man crew to be more productive and profitable. Here is why: Let's say I book 4 jobs/day for a 1-man van. If I add a 2nd man to that van, it allows me to book 1 additional job. That additional job at our average sale allows us to gain about $75-100 in profit overall for the day. But currently I budget each van (2) to produce about $800-1000/day during high season.

JeremyB

Apr 6, 2013
Australia
Real Name
Jeremy Barratt
That question is literally too stupid to answer....
Read it back to yourself....

That's easy, Mike loves the freedom and if I recall he had an offsides and did more for the year but made less profit.

Now when he wants to get out of the industry (if ever) he is screwed as HE is the business in its current form. Whether he changes the model and sacrifices some dollars to bring a second set of hands in with a view to transition out is a call he will have to make.

Or he pulls the pin when enough for retirement is saved and sells for equipment value.

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums mobile app

Artie09

Premium VIP
Dec 17, 2012
Azusa , CA
Real Name
Arturo Ortiz jr.
Business Location
United States
That question is literally too stupid to answer....
Read it back to yourself....
No , it's not stupid.
If you're getting such high job average solo because you like to open your mouth a lot, then why not add a good technician with you or add a second route.
Train someone in your ways and increase the total amount of jobs without losing that high job average or quality
Because you can only be in one place at one time

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
No , it's not stupid.
If you're getting such high job average solo because you like to open your mouth a lot, then why not add a good technician with you or add a second route.
Train someone in your ways and increase the total amount of jobs without losing that high job average or quality
Because you can only be in one place at one time
Your question was , "why run solo if you have a high job average?"
Then you went on to say that you can barely keep up with the work you do...
So yea, asking why I do less and make more seems like a pretty silly question when you're referring to a solo operator...

Obviously, it's much easier to complete 2 jobs inside of a day than 7 for someone going solo...

Comparing 2014 to 2015...

2014 I made nearly 20k more with a helper but I actually kept more in 2015 because I didn't have to pay someone.

Babysitting gets old to me.

I'm doing a couple things to try to add another van but it's a slower process than the guys that just toss out a bunch of whole house $99 coupons...

I did that. I'll never cater to the least common denominator again...

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Artie, do you really think I warrant higher prices simply because I'm a good bullshitter?....
If you had to do what I do to thoroughly clean and dry carpet, you'd wilt...

I fuking guarantee you couldn't keep pace with what I go through...
This was my starter yesterday...
4 rooms for $600. No protection.
All 4 rooms were spread out.
The largest room (white wool) was basically up a tower.
Carried all 6 air movers up there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 190

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
Artie, do you really think I warrant higher prices simply because I'm a good bullshitter?....
If you had to do what I do to thoroughly clean and dry carpet, you'd wilt...

I fuking guarantee you couldn't keep pace with what I go through...
This was my starter yesterday...
4 rooms for $600. No protection.
All 4 rooms were spread out.
The largest room (white wool) was basically up a tower.
Carried all 6 air movers up there.
That's weight training!

Artie09

Premium VIP
Dec 17, 2012
Azusa , CA
Real Name
Arturo Ortiz jr.
Business Location
United States
Your question was , "why run solo if you have a high job average?"
Then you went on to say that you can barely keep up with the work you do...
So yea, asking why I do less and make more seems like a pretty silly question when you're referring to a solo operator...

Obviously, it's much easier to complete 2 jobs inside of a day than 7 for someone going solo...

Comparing 2014 to 2015...

2014 I made nearly 20k more with a helper but I actually kept more in 2015 because I didn't have to pay someone.

Babysitting gets old to me.

I'm doing a couple things to try to add another van but it's a slower process than the guys that just toss out a bunch of whole house $99 coupons...

I did that. I'll never cater to the least common denominator again...
Who is saying for you to do more ? No one dude
Do the same amount you normally do and add the rest for another truck
With your high ticket jobs , I can't imagine how you can pay a tech and not keep more at the end of the year.

Unless you're just comfortable being a solo operator which is ok too

I'm busy as hell on my own so I cherry pick my jobs and only schedule 3 a day , the rest I'm thinking of adding it to another route with a good service provider on commission

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Who is saying for you to do more ? No one dude
Do the same amount you normally do and add the rest for another truck
With your high ticket jobs , I can't imagine how you can pay a tech and not keep more at the end of the year.

Unless you're just comfortable being a solo operator which is ok too

I'm busy as hell on my own so I cherry pick my jobs and only schedule 3 a day , the rest I'm thinking of adding it to another route with a good service provider on commission
How does a guy "cherry pick" who advertises 3 rooms fer $105?