To Franchise or Not to Franchise, That is the Question! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

To Franchise or Not to Franchise, That is the Question!

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
So, 6 years into building my business, and I'm now at the point of wanting to grow it into multi trucks, and get off the truck myself.
Exploring all avenues, and since marketing is the key to expansion, and brand recognition goes a long way in business, I'm curious about Franchises.
I'd love to hear anyone's personal experience, and if you don't feel comfortable sharing it here with the whole world, feel free to direct message me.
Also wondering about purchasing an existing, established business.
I would guess business brokers would be the place to look for that??
Thanks in advance for your comments.
Ron

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I can tell you that the biggest complaint my guys in this area have about franchising is loss of control.

They pay money to a great big umbrella every year, and the umbrella in turn tells them what they will or won't clean, how they'll do it, what they will or won't use to clean it, and where they will purchase what they use. Many franchises even dictate price.

The stability of a franchise may be enough of a perk to put up with this loss of control over the business, but it's not for everyone.

Reactions: ronman

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
I can tell you that the biggest complaint my guys in this area have about franchising is loss of control.

They pay money to a great big umbrella every year, and the umbrella in turn tells them what they will or won't clean, how they'll do it, what they will or won't use to clean it, and where they will purchase what they use. Many franchises even dictate price.

The stability of a franchise may be enough of a perk to put up with this loss of control over the business, but it's not for everyone.
Thank you Mama Fen for your feedback!
Do you hear more complaints or positives about any particular franchises?
Do any throw more red flags than the others?
I take it you deal with carpet cleaners as a supplier, so you meet many different companies?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Thank you Mama Fen for your feedback!
Do you hear more complaints or positives about any particular franchises?
Do any throw more red flags than the others?
I take it you deal with carpet cleaners as a supplier, so you meet many different companies?
I've met the majority of companies in our area, both large and small. I cannot, in good conscience, tell tales about any one franchise or another on how satisfied their franchisees are, but I can tell you that on the whole, they're usually pretty grumbly, frustrated people.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I worked for several different franchises over the years, both carpet cleaning and restaurant work. All the franchise owners I worked for were generally unhappy about all the restrictions and requirements they were forced to follow. The owner at the carpet franchise I worked had his business for sale for the last 10 years I worked there, he still ownes it today.

Personally I will never buy into a franchise.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I would never franchise carpet cleaning or basic services, huge mistake in my opinion.

but possibly just water damage side of things. There are some Servpro and service master franchises in my area that are absolutely killing it, a contractor friend of mine has done sub work for one of them.. he tells me the owner is very well off.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I would never franchise carpet cleaning or basic services, huge mistake in my opinion.

but possibly just water damage side of things. There are some Servpro and service master franchises in my area that are absolutely killing it, a contractor friend of mine has done sub work for one of them.. he tells me the owner is very well off.
I agree Restoration is a different story since insurance companies like dealing with names they know.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
IMO, your personality will determine if you lead or follow. Do you take orders well? You are franchise material!

I cannot be told to do dumb things from people who have not really thought it out fully, I'm not franchise material.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I would say there are just as many people who stay away from the franchise brands as look for them.
If you want to expand, make investments in marketing, branding and expanding your own company.
There is no short cut.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Jim, I truly pity anyone who tries to tell you your business. And I mean that in the most positive way! I wish I could get you to teach a half day seminar, show some of our local boys the proper way to do this for a living. :sneaky:

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Jim, I truly pity anyone who tries to tell you your business. And I mean that in the most positive way! I wish I could get you to teach a half day seminar, show some of our local boys the proper way to do this for a living. :sneaky:
I make more enemies than friends because I don't sugar coat the truth. People want to hear what they want to believe, any way you slice it. I am 100% sure what I have to say would be unpopular and met with resistance, but applaud your faith in me!

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States

Totally agree! The WD franchises arouond me are busy. I know the Paul Davis guys pretty well and they are really busy every time I speak to them. Prob easier to sell a WD franchise too.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Truth isn't always popular, but it's what makes the difference between success and failure. Customers will forgive an honest mistake, but they will never forgive even the perception of dishonesty.

A true businessman welcomes honest criticism above false praise.

We need more blunt folk like you, Jim, even if you don't win popularity contests. I've said that for six years now and I'll finish out a decade saying it. You, Jeff Parker, Daryl Wilburn, "Earnhardt" Lumley, Tony Moore... we're SO lucky to have carpet vets like you in our area. Between you five we could have the entire NC/SC market on the right track if people would only listen. I show off Tony's beautifully clean and organized van every chance I get!

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
So, 6 years into building my business, and I'm now at the point of wanting to grow it into multi trucks, and get off the truck myself.
Exploring all avenues, and since marketing is the key to expansion, and brand recognition goes a long way in business, I'm curious about Franchises.
I'd love to hear anyone's personal experience, and if you don't feel comfortable sharing it here with the whole world, feel free to direct message me.
Also wondering about purchasing an existing, established business.
I would guess business brokers would be the place to look for that??
Thanks in advance for your comments.
Ron
Coming from someone who owns a franchise, I would have to say don't do it. You're 6 years into the business. You should know your shit already. You don't need the help of a franchise.
When I decided to start my own business, I had zero experience in the industry, so I opted the franchise route for the help and support it provided. Ten years later, do I still need their help and support? No.
Do I regret the decision I made 10 yrs ago to buy into the franchise? No. Not at all. One of the best decisions I've ever made in my entire life.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Coming from someone who owns a franchise, I would have to say don't do it. You're 6 years into the business. You should know your shit already. You don't need the help of a franchise.
When I decided to start my own business, I had zero experience in the industry, so I opted the franchise route for the help and support it provided. Ten years later, do I still need their help and support? No.
Do I regret the decision I made 10 yrs ago to buy into the franchise? No. Not at all. One of the best decisions I've ever made in my entire life.
Excellent synopsis.