Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
www.instantsteamclean.com
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
For phase III on my HTM (currently have 2 Air Hog 7300-S's chained together hooked into generator) I plan to add 2 more 3 stage 302la vac motors giving my 6 vac motors and about 400 cfm. Instead of buying yet another Air Hog I plan to buy the vac motors separately and mount them on a plate. Since they will be the last in the parallel chain (I will have them feed off of an AH in the middle) I won't need a waste tank or any special filtering.

I know some of you have installed vac motors directly - outside of any case - what are the issues I will need to address?

Power - I'm assuming a rocker switch and maybe small breaker?
Installation - What's the best way to mount these?
Ventilation - Do they need a fan blowing on them?

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
More reliable toggle switch and a indicator light. Breaker on genset or on GFI extension cord.
With mounting holes as in pic or on its side held down with large hose clamps and padding around the metal cover. Do not over tighten. I have 2 mounted as shown and 2 (in base unit) with the hose camps ...4 plus years.
Out in the open ...no IMO. Computer tower fan $20 if you find it necessary.
Edit​
Added pic with toggle switch for rear motors.​

Attachments

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
More reliable toggle switch and a indicator light. Breaker on genset or on GFI extension cord.
With mounting holes as in pic or on its side held down with large hose clamps and padding around the metal cover. Do not over tighten. I have 2 mounted as shown and 2 (in base unit) with the hose camps ...4 plus years.
Out in the open ...no IMO. Computer tower fan $20 if you find it necessary.
Edit
Added pic with toggle switch for rear motors.
Read more: http://www.truckmountforums.com/threads/to-all-the-dyi-guys.47391/#ixzz2f3NPQV4H

Are you using lamb 6.6 motors in a series? Also How did you build the shelves exactly - I'm going to add lamb 6.6 motors putting them in a series and replace one of my Air Hogs in the chain (vs adding 2 more low amp 3-stage motors) to get a performance boost but to keep the power draw more reasonable.

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
I've never understood why you guys don't just get a truckmount and have more power and more time to invest in marketing your business instead of experimenting around with this stuff IMHO....

With a generator powering your vac motors.... you're taking rotational energy, then converting it to electrical energy, just to convert it back to rotational energy. And vac motors are less powerful and have less longevity than a blower.

Truckmount is simpler and less to break too.

fuzzsucker

Jul 14, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Real Name
Robert Yockel
I've never understood why you guys don't just get a truckmount and have more power and more time to invest in marketing your business instead of experimenting around with this stuff IMHO....

With a generator powering your vac motors.... you're taking rotational energy, then converting it to electrical energy, just to convert it back to rotational energy. And vac motors are less powerful and have less longevity than a blower.

One word "fear"

Jk :p

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States

I have 2 TM's already. Traditional ChemTex Panther TMs. I'm tweaking my 3rd TM...or HTM and It's worked great so far. Marketing my business? I have 2 full time techs running 2 TM's 6 days a week so that's why I added another one except this time I decided to go the HTM route. So tell me genius, are you so busy you had to add another TM?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using TMF Forums mobile app

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
I have 2 TM's already. Traditional ChemTex Panther TMs. I'm tweaking my 3rd TM...or HTM and It's worked great so far. Marketing my business? I have 2 full time techs running 2 TM's 6 days a week so that's why I added another one except this time I decided to go the HTM route. So tell me genius, are you so busy you had to add another TM?

Ok if you don't need to market your business any more.... sub in more time for anything else than playing around with stuff that's always going to be inferior to a truckmount no matter how many gizmos and gadgets you add on to it. You get what I was saying... and I'm plenty busy myself... only 2 years in business and I am looking at a second truck right now but I might wait until March 2014. We'll have to see.

It seems like I struck a sensitive nerve there... didn't mean to I'm just asking why you electric machine guys waste time on stuff that's been superseded decades ago. It's inefficient to convert energy that many times, and the end product is not as reliable or powerful anyway.

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
Ok if you don't need to market your business any more.... sub in more time for anything else than playing around with stuff that's always going to be inferior to a truckmount no matter how many gizmos and gadgets you add on to it. You get what I was saying... and I'm plenty busy myself... only 2 years in business and I am looking at a second truck right now but I might wait until March 2014. We'll have to see.

It seems like I struck a sensitive nerve there... didn't mean to I'm just asking why you electric machine guys waste time on stuff that's been superseded decades ago. It's inefficient to convert energy that many times, and the end product is not as reliable or powerful anyway.
Dude quit embarrassing yourself...This is his thread his project I'm certain if he needed any advice on using a truckmount.....ahh you get it don't you?:D

Reactions: Troyster

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States

I always spend a lot of time on marketing. It's a very competitive biz.. As far as the end product I am beginning to see that I can get this HTM to match my 18hp Panther by the time I'm done. Reliability, I'm sure, will be less per previous observations I made on here. For where I'm at and the fact TM #3 only is used 8 hours a week it may be a good choice. Also if you read previous posts it ran (the HTM) about 200 hours paying for itself 2x during our extremely busy summer. Still, as I said in previous posts I would never recommend an HTM to somebody who is new or doesn't already have a traditional TM to begin with.

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

TopJobROd

Apr 11, 2013
Des Moines Iowa
Real Name
Rod Snyder
Business Location
United States
Guess I am at a total loss as to why people with a tm would think electrically powered items are "less reliable" than an internal combustion engine. (Yes I know that they are using a generator) These guys building their own have a lot more to feel good about than someone who paid to have a slide in installed. I frankly think grown men who sit around playing video games....... oh never mind. Ever hear of hobbies and self fulfillment? Does your tinkering MAKE you money? I have both and my portable equipment will cost me far less than the truck. This forum does provide me with some good entertainment.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TMF Forums mobile app

TopJobROd

Apr 11, 2013
Des Moines Iowa
Real Name
Rod Snyder
Business Location
United States
Here's a question, how many gallons of fuel do you "hybrid" guys burn a day?

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
I always spend a lot of time on marketing. It's a very competitive biz.. As far as the end product I am beginning to see that I can get this HTM to match my 18hp Panther by the time I'm done. Reliability, I'm sure, will be less per previous observations I made on here. For where I'm at and the fact TM #3 only is used 8 hours a week it may be a good choice. Also if you read previous posts it ran (the HTM) about 200 hours paying for itself 2x during our extremely busy summer. Still, as I said in previous posts I would never recommend an HTM to somebody who is new or doesn't already have a traditional TM to begin with.

To qualify my last comment I would recommend an HTM but not as your first or only extractor

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Are you using lamb 6.6 motors in a series? Also How did you build the shelves exactly - I'm going to add lamb 6.6 motors putting them in a series and replace one of my Air Hogs in the chain (vs adding 2 more low amp 3-stage motors) to get a performance boost but to keep the power draw more reasonable.
Two 8.4s (2 stacks) coupled with a low amp 5.7 at each exhaust. 8.4s actually draw less amps than the 6.6 and have and additional 10+ inches of lift. Physically quite larger.
Shelves are constructed with 3/4 plywood encapsulated with marine grade epoxy that we use in wooden canoe building.
Here's a question, how many gallons of fuel do you "hybrid" guys burn a day?

With my set up less than 1/2 gallon per hour at 80% load ( 6800 running watt generator).

We all have our goals and budgets to work within. Personally this is a second income for me which has grown to a point where I could use a TM .

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
Two 8.4s (2 stacks) coupled with a low amp 5.7 at each exhaust. 8.4s actually draw less amps than the 6.6 and have and additional 10+ inches of lift. Physically quite larger.
Shelves are constructed with 3/4 plywood encapsulated with marine grade epoxy that we use in wooden canoe building.

With my set up less than 1/2 gallon per hour at 80% load ( 6800 running watt generator).

We all have our goals and budgets to work within. Personally this is a second income for me which has grown to a point where I could use a TM .
What kind of performance specs are you getting?

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
What kind of performance specs are you getting?

AT THE MACHINE
310-320 CFM
175-185 inches of lift.
500 psi pump
2ht Little Giant
Three 15 amp circuits required.
Good for up to 150ft in most cases IMO .
Downline 15 amp booster. Single Domel 130 CFM/130 Lift if needed ; basements with a run over 100 ft.
Hate having to use fourth circuit !

Reactions: Jim Ellis