TMF Devastator Filter Review

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Simple review about the TMF Devastator Filter:

Bought the 2x2 2" Port version. Using with a 570 Apex Machine (not using 4 to the door style setup yet)

Pros:
Larger than other filters on the market.
Easier to clean than other filters I've previously used.
Good stainless steel construction
Shock value to customer
With the design of the ports, the backend doesn't fill with water
Great idea for being able to dual wand or 4 to the door
Should last much longer than plastic pool type filters

Cons: Gasket is falling off slightly after 2 weeks of use, not a big deal to fix
Cost - probably about $100-$150 more expensive than it should - really should include at least 2 rubber caps for the price
Bottom of the filter it would be nice if it came with a softer rubber or foam if brought into customers home to reduce risk of scratching floor
Size - too large to easily store in the van (this is a very minor inconvenience)

Overall I give it 8/10 - a few minor tweaks on future version and I could see it dominating as the best filter by far.

Thewy

May 4, 2020
Georgia
Real Name
Stephen
Business Location
United States
We have the 2 by 2 front and back port filter but recently converted it to a 1 2.5 in. front port. It’s a very good filter that increases vacuum and lift and thus shortens dry times significantly compared to our old see-through plastic filter. It’d be nice if the bolts that hold the front plate in place were shorter to make opening it faster.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
Simple review about the TMF Devastator Filter:

Bought the 2x2 2" Port version. Using with a 570 Apex Machine (not using 4 to the door style setup yet)

Pros:
Larger than other filters on the market.
Easier to clean than other filters I've previously used.
Good stainless steel construction
Shock value to customer
With the design of the ports, the backend doesn't fill with water
Great idea for being able to dual wand or 4 to the door
Should last much longer than plastic pool type filters

Cons: Gasket is falling off slightly after 2 weeks of use, not a big deal to fix
Cost - probably about $100-$150 more expensive than it should - really should include at least 2 rubber caps for the price
Bottom of the filter it would be nice if it came with a softer rubber or foam if brought into customers home to reduce risk of scratching floor
Size - too large to easily store in the van (this is a very minor inconvenience)

Overall I give it 8/10 - a few minor tweaks on future version and I could see it dominating as the best filter by far.
I would NEVER bring an inline filter inside to your cleaning job!

It stays at the machine.

Thewy

May 4, 2020
Georgia
Real Name
Stephen
Business Location
United States
I would NEVER bring an inline filter inside to your cleaning job!

It stays at the machine.
We bring it in when doing a commercial carpet or commercial upholstery cleaning. Normally we are running long hose runs and our machine isn’t very strong (SS 1200), so we put it inside on the carpet after the first or second hose run. That reduces/ eliminates wicking by flushing out more dirt and water. Residential has too fragile of floors to bring it in there and hose runs shouldn’t be that long.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
If your machine has 2 vac ports on the recovery tank, each deserves a filter before you y them together to the wand. If your machine has 1 vac port, make a second. If you don't have an apo y into dual ports and dump through any filter you want, just sayin

Thewy

May 4, 2020
Georgia
Real Name
Stephen
Business Location
United States
If your machine has 2 vac ports on the recovery tank, each deserves a filter before you y them together to the wand. If your machine has 1 vac port, make a second. If you don't have an apo y into dual ports and dump through any filter you want, just sayin
We try to keep it simple. We just connect 2 in hose to reduced 2.5 in. port with 2 in port blocked off. Then connect 2 in. hose to filter that is set on hose run closest to house without filter going in. Carpets, wool rugs, upholstery, and tile dry well enough to not need to worry as long as dry strokes are done on carpet/ rugs.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Dual filters to dual ports suffer half the loss, half as fast. If you use the y in an upright configuration the bottom filter will get close to plugging before the upper filter stops bypassing air. Your wand will sustain better airflow longer and the top filter doesn't need to be a $500 version, your old hydroforce will be just fine.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Tend to agree but I have taken the Devastator into some pretty big homes. Just make sure you put a moving blanket under it.
Stainless steel is nice and shiney. Just another tool. Most customers arent home anyway. I like it as close to the wand as possible

qq.jpg

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I dont take it into the home - I'm not sure why that became a big thing lol, not like the Devastator leaks anyways