TMF CRB 15 inch Gear repair kit how to change a gear | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

TMF CRB 15 inch Gear repair kit how to change a gear

snzaz

Sep 15, 2018
Real Name
scott ziegler
anyone know how to get the rivet bolts off the old gears to put on the new gears new gears come without. can't find these types in ace hardware or anywhere.
IMG_20200513_130459727.jpg

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
You have the wrong ones. There are two types of CRB machines - Austrian made and Chinese made.

The Austrians have the rivet built in and the Chinese don't. Check the serial number on your machine - if it starts with a 14, 15, 16, 17 etc it denotes the year it was manufactured and it also is an Austrian machine and you will need to order the Austrian gear to complement it.

The Chinese machines will not start with a 1 in the serial number.

snzaz

Sep 15, 2018
Real Name
scott ziegler
Thanks for responding, so I have a Chinese build TMF 15" CRB bought one of the last ones and had customer service send me new gears under warranty . Robs video shows how to change them but he doesn't show how to get that middle part off to put on the new gears? You would think they would come the same way. What am I misunderstanding need this fixed asap thanks Oxi

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
It is honestly a pain in the ass to replace the gears on the Chinese machine. You have to open the casing and counter torque from the inside.

The way I did it, is I would use a dremel tool and cut two slits into the end of the bolt and use a flathead screw driver to turn it.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
A local cleaner I know got the Chinese one and a gear went out. Took FOREVER to get the part, let alone taking the gearbox apart just to change a gear. So what did he really *save*?

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
Thanks for responding, so I have a Chinese build TMF 15" CRB bought one of the last ones and had customer service send me new gears under warranty . Robs video shows how to change them but he doesn't show how to get that middle part off to put on the new gears? You would think they would come the same way. What am I misunderstanding need this fixed asap thanks Oxi
Can you post a picture of the back of the stripped gear with the centre hex piece you need removed

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
Get some wood a 2x4 drill a hole slightly wider than the hex head you want removed
Put hex head in hole face down on bench
Take punch and hammer out the centre

You could also use a socket as a receiver in the same way
With a small bolt or something as the driver on the other side in a vice
Use the bolt to drive the centre out into the socket internal cavity by cranking on vice handle like a mini press.

Put the whole thing in the oven and it may just push out

Last edited:

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Can’t you just cut it out?

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
No, you really can't. They are a pain in the ass.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Just make sure you have the correct gear, the teeth on the Austrian and Chinese are different and dont work together

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
You can remove smooth head bolts pretty easily with a nice sharp chisel at an angle and tapping with a hammer carefully in the direction to unscrew... If you replace an ignition on a lot of cars they will have smooth head bolts.

Then just replace with regular bolts

snzaz

Sep 15, 2018
Real Name
scott ziegler
this is the machine I bought from TMF store. two of the gears stripped when something got caught in the machine so they sent me the replacement gears but they don't have the center part where he bolt goes in and the old ones don't come off the bad gears. think they would ship a kit with everything you need ready to go huh

snzaz

Sep 15, 2018
Real Name
scott ziegler
so Its clear In the Pic above the new gear is below. the center part that metal rivet bolt needs to be removed and put in the new gear. it should countersink into the nut and bolt or head and stem but it doesn't can't seem to find a replacement new rivet bolt ace hardware doesn't carry this metric size and style. so, thats the issue. Machine is fine other than gears but I guess thats the whole machine isn't it.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
There should be some markings on the gears, like a part number. Do both gears match with those numbers?