Tmf acidic or alkaline rinse

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
They are both suppose to neutralize high ph prespray. But I personally would use the acidic for pet stained carpet and alkaline on the dirtys. But the acidic would also be good on the dirtys if using a super high ph prespray.

Reactions: Prime

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I have not tried these specific products. But here are ideas on acid versus alkaline rinse in general.

Advantages of an acid rinse include less residue, carpets stay cleaner longer, carpet has a softer feel when cleaning is finished, many protectors will adhere better to slightly acid fibers. On nylon, wool and some dye systems with other fibers, the dyes are more stable and will maintain color longer.

Advantages of Alkaline rinse is better cleaning of oils and grease.

Reactions: admin and ratfool

Sean M Collins

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins
I have not tried these specific products. But here are ideas on acid versus alkaline rinse in general.

Advantages of an acid rinse include less residue, carpets stay cleaner longer, carpet has a softer feel when cleaning is finished, many protectors will adhere better to slightly acid fibers. On nylon, wool and some dye systems with other fibers, the dyes are more stable and will maintain color longer.

Advantages of Alkaline rinse is better cleaning of oils and grease.

Am I correct the acidic is more likely to do a better job removing residue from previous cleaners

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Soil load and soil type would be the determining factor for me.

Acid;

Stand alone for olefin berber
When using a super hi ph prespray
When lot organic stains and odors present

Alkaline neutralisier;

Oily carpets
Most Polyesters
Stand alone on olefin berber
Stand alone on nylons
Section 8

ratfool

Apr 22, 2016
Real Name
Marlene Slichter

Acid;

Alkaline neutralisier;

Oily carpets
Most Polyesters
Stand alone on nylons
Section 8

I use an acid rinse to neutralize (covert to a salt) the soap in the carpet. I find it a very important step, perhaps more so then the guys running truck mounts because I will never get the amount of flow and lift using a portable. So huge advantages for chemical neutralizing.
Chemistry is acid + base = salt

How does the Alkaline rinse work? Does it convert? Or is it more emulsifying? Does it have the ability to help detach the surfactants which is used in the soap? (Would it be a good rinse for medium grade portables) or would it be a better choice in a truck mount system where there is less limits in flow, temperatures, and lift? In regards to leaving less residues.

Marlene

Reactions: akgolfpro

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Am I correct the acidic is more likely to do a better job removing residue from previous cleaners

Essentially correct. Most of the potentially harmful or villainous residues are on the alkaline side. An acid rinse would do a better job at either removing on neutralizing (inactivating) those residues.

Sean M Collins

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins

Acid;

Alkaline neutralisier;

Oily carpets
Most Polyesters
Stand alone on nylons
Section 8

Am I correct as a stand alone or w rsf Free and clear neither will Cause resoiling

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
If my carpets are really nasty or very oily/greasy (like in a restaurant) I use an alkaline rinse. Then I go back and spray the carpet with the acid rinse in my pump sprayer and then just do dry strokes with the wand.

For all other situations I use the acid rinse through my wand as I extract.

Reactions: ratfool and alexus

ratfool

Apr 22, 2016
Real Name
Marlene Slichter
If my carpets are really nasty or very oily/greasy (like in a restaurant) I use an alkaline rinse. Then I go back and spray the carpet with the acid rinse in my pump sprayer and then just do dry strokes with the wand.

For all other situations I use the acid rinse through my wand as I extract.

You in part answered my question. So in my case, I may want to use an Alkaline rinse to pull out let’s say parking lot oils, versus repeated extractions but would still need to neutralize the soaps.

Marlene

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Real Name
MARCUS ANDERSON
Business Location
United States
I always prespot....

I use acid rinse on most homes......

For trashed rentals i use alcaline rinse and on ocasions a final acid rinse
For the dirtiest room....

For resturants i use alcaline rinse after prespotting...

I just got robs secret formuala rinse at ph8
Ill see how it works in the next few days....

Sean M Collins

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins
I always prespot....

I use acid rinse on most homes......

For trashed rentals i use alcaline rinse and on ocasions a final acid rinse
For the dirtiest room....

For resturants i use alcaline rinse after prespotting...

I just got robs secret formuala rinse at ph8
Ill see how it works in the next few days....

That sounds pretty much my plan when I get them

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
You in part answered my question. So in my case, I may want to use an Alkaline rinse to pull out let’s say parking lot oils, versus repeated extractions but would still need to neutralize the soaps.

Marlene
You don't have to go back with an Acid rinse after using an Alkaline rinse, it's really just my preference. Typically a job where I use an Alkaline rinse I likely have used a very high PH degreaser mixed in my prespray and probably a lot of water to rinse the carpet out. So by going over and applying an acid in the way I described, it gets a few more dry strokes in, and helps further neutralize that degreaser.

Reactions: ratfool

Blacktiedetailing

www.crsurfacecare.com
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2011
Las Vegas
WWW.CRSurfaceCare.com
Real Name
Jeff Kondra
Business Location
United States
Anyone have any insights on why or when and where I’d rather the acidic or the alkaline rinse
you should attend the TMF School of Academic Science to become certified. This should not be an issue if you are cleaning in someones home. Use Fabset in your rinse, all the time.

Reactions: Scott W

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Well maintained carpets or average carpets I would use flex ice but commercial, filthy polyester carpets I would use alkaline 9.7ph Esteam Performance CBS which will not leave any sticky residue and will leave the carpets softer then any other alkaline rinsing agents also will brighten the carpets as well with a nice lemony fragrance.

PERFORMANCE CBS
Performance CBS is Carpet & Rug Institute (CRI) certified as a premium carpet emulsifier.
Experience the absolute power of cleaning. Performance CBS is a residue free powdered emulsifier that leaves carpets Cleaner, Brighter and Softer. Using the latest and most advanced encapsulating technology, Performance CBS incorporates a unique blend of high tech solvents, advanced wetting agents and naturally occurring brighteners. This product delivers amazing cleaning results in both residential and commercial applications.

• Diluted pH: 9.7
  • Dilution Ratio: 1:1280
  • Available in: 6 lbs (2.7 kg), 40 lbs (18.2 kg) or 360 lbs (163.6 kg)

Jack

Oct 4, 2012
Washington
www.criticalcarpetcare.com
Real Name
Jack Jones
Business Location
United States
Well maintained carpets or average carpets I would use flex ice but commercial, filthy polyester carpets I would use alkaline 9.7ph Esteam Performance CBS which will not leave any sticky residue and will leave the carpets softer then any other alkaline rinsing agents also will brighten the carpets as well with a nice lemony fragrance.

PERFORMANCE CBS
Performance CBS is Carpet & Rug Institute (CRI) certified as a premium carpet emulsifier.
Experience the absolute power of cleaning. Performance CBS is a residue free powdered emulsifier that leaves carpets Cleaner, Brighter and Softer. Using the latest and most advanced encapsulating technology, Performance CBS incorporates a unique blend of high tech solvents, advanced wetting agents and naturally occurring brighteners. This product delivers amazing cleaning results in both residential and commercial applications.

• Diluted pH: 9.7
  • Dilution Ratio: 1:1280
  • Available in: 6 lbs (2.7 kg), 40 lbs (18.2 kg) or 360 lbs (163.6 kg)
I agree, Performance CBS is an excellent powdered emulsifier, probably the best I've ever used, but I can't use it any more because my Butler has a millimeter chemical feed, which means I can only run liquid concentrate emulsifiers through the machine or it will plug things up.

Reactions: Fedri