Tm mod to lower heat

idreadnought

Mar 8, 2009
California
Real Name
Robert Smith
Business Location
United States
I know, I know lower heat? Well the reason I thought of this was to use a hydraforce sprayer. I have a high heat tm and wanted a quick way to lower temps to spray carpet. This is my idea. place a solenoid valve inline direct form the pump to the pressure line right past the last heat exchanger. When you want cooler water activate the solenoid valve. This should mix cold water with your heated water and cool the solution down enough to spray. This could be activated by a keychain remote from inside the house if you get fancy. This could also be a way to avoid a exhaust diverter valve. Place a temperature sensor after the heat exchangers. When it reaches a certain temp it opens solenoid valve and mixes cold water with the heated water to bring the temps down. This will help even out temps and will conserve the hot water from the heat exchanger because water will be traveling through it slower. I'm open for some brilliant minds to punch holes in my theory, thats why I'm posting. So whatcha think?

SuzukiRider

Nov 2, 2008
Portland Oregon
Real Name
Alex Plop
Business Location
United States
Your water box would not stay hot since you would be pumping water right out of it to the hose so after a while you may end up with pretty cool water. Your heat exchanger has lots of feet of copper in it which holds quite a bit of water.

I personally do not worry about it. On my dagger I do not have a temp control and I know it does have a temp valve that dumps at 180.

I will see what happens when I install my Crossfire later today I have a job to do I will turn it all the way up and go use the hydroforce.

May 6, 2008
GA.
Real Name
D Oxley
Business Location
United States
Why re-engineer the system in such a complicated way?

Can't you just turn the temperature down?

Increasing flow through the exchanger decreases temperature output. So, you could put a ball valve in line on the system output and open it when you want to, letting it either dump to the ground, or to your recovery tank.

idreadnought

Mar 8, 2009
California
Real Name
Robert Smith
Business Location
United States
ok in a simple way couldn't you place the same ball valve between the cold water coming from the pump and have it go to the hot water leaving your heat exchanger. This would cool it down by mixing cooler water with hot water. You also wouldn't be filling your waste tank or dumping water on the ground. Also this would be an instant way to cool the water output. Waiting for the water to cool by increased flow would take longer.

May 6, 2008
GA.
Real Name
D Oxley
Business Location
United States
ok in a simple way couldn't you place the same ball valve between the cold water coming from the pump and have it go to the hot water leaving your heat exchanger. ..... Waiting for the water to cool by increased flow would take longer.
No, it would be just as fast, actually.

I'm not sure about the idea of cold water basically being injected to the output of the exchanger. I suspect that there would need to be a pressure differential between the two, in favor of the cold, for it to work, but I don't know for sure.

Why can't you just dial the temperature down?

How is the temperature regulated now?

What kind of system is it?

idreadnought

Mar 8, 2009
California
Real Name
Robert Smith
Business Location
United States
It is a system I built. Heat is regulated by an exhaust diverter valve. However diverter turns off at 240. At this temp a hydraforce sprayer will not function. As far as pressure differential. The pressure of the water wehn leaving the heat exchanger is lower because of the because of the friction loss by traveling through the tubing in it.. An example would be attaching a y adapter to a faucet outside. from one side you run a 10 foot hose and the other you attach a 100 foot hose. The flow from the shorter hose will be greater than the longer hose. Under pressure the principal still applies, the flow will be greater from the shorter hose. Attaching a ball valve from the pressure side of the pump to the line leaving the heat exchanger would decrease the flow through the exchanger by more than half unless you restrict it by only opening it part way. if the water coming out of the pump is 80 degrees and the water leaving the heat exchanger is 240. By allowing 25% of the water to be the colder water straight from the pump, it would reduce your temps to 200 degrees. After heat loss in the hose leading to the sprayer you should be able to use it. After finished with the sprayer then turn the valve off and your temps will instantly be back at 240. By going one step farther and using an electric solenoid valve and operating it by a wireless keychain remote(available off ebay for around $50) you could instantly adjust the temperature without even going to your machine.

May 6, 2008
GA.
Real Name
D Oxley
Business Location
United States
If the diverter is automatic, sounds like the simpler thing to do would be to install an adjustable thermostat, instead of the fixed point one you have.

idreadnought

Mar 8, 2009
California
Real Name
Robert Smith
Business Location
United States
yes I can lower my temperature setting. Sigh, but that would have to be done manually, not from the home. The built up heat in the exchanger would then have to be bled off or used up before I could use the sprayer. When done using the sprayer I would have to turn the heat back up and wait for heat to build up before I could start cleaning at the temperature I enjoy cleaning at. The system I am referring to is an instant way to reduce heat so an injection sprayer can be used. You don't see any value in that? Do you use injection sprayers? Do you run high heat truck mounts?

idreadnought

Mar 8, 2009
California
Real Name
Robert Smith
Business Location
United States
sprayers wont work under high heat. Under high heat the water will turn to steam inside your sprayer dema valve. This steam causes pressure and prevents the vacuum you need to pull your mixture into the valve. I think hydraforce says that it won't work past 180 degrees.

May 6, 2008
GA.
Real Name
D Oxley
Business Location
United States
yes I can lower my temperature setting. Sigh, but that would have to be done manually, not from the home.
So would putting a ball valve anywhere as described so far...

The built up heat in the exchanger would then have to be bled off or used up before I could use the sprayer.
... Which would take about a minute, unless you have hundreds of feet of coils in your exchanger. Then it may take a bit more.

When done using the sprayer I would have to turn the heat back up and wait for heat to build up before I could start cleaning at the temperature I enjoy cleaning at.
That's how everyone else does it. Getting your temperature back up once again should take a couple of minutes, unless your system is different than I've pictured and less efficient than I thought from your description of it.

The system I am referring to is an instant way to reduce heat so an injection sprayer can be used. You don't see any value in that?
The added complication, IMO, isn't worth it. I mean, if you start and stop pre-spraying several times on a given job, maybe so. But otherwise, marginal. Once again, IMO.

Do you use injection sprayers?
No, I design and build truck mounts. But when I did do carpet care, I did use injection sprayers. I even dyed carpet with them.

Do you run high heat truck mounts?
No, I build them... ;)

idreadnought

Mar 8, 2009
California
Real Name
Robert Smith
Business Location
United States
I really didn't have an intention of getting into an argument about it. I thought I would share a simple modification to a truckmount that could solve the high heat problems with a an injection sprayer. I ordered a solenoid valve and if the system works as well as I anticipate, then I will add the keychain remote feature to it next. Looks like I will be the only carpet cleaner in the world with the ability to lower the temperature of his solution line instantly from inside the house, office building, or restaurant.

May 6, 2008
GA.
Real Name
D Oxley
Business Location
United States
I really didn't have an intention of getting into an argument about it.
I hope you didn't see my responses that way. You asked questions and I answered them.

If you notice, I specifically included the qualifier, "IMO" (in my opinion), because I was giving opinion... not the last word on the subject.

You asked about the feasibility of doing the idea you came up with. If it's important to you, and you're pretty sure that you have a way to do it, you should try it.

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
I think its a good idea if you see the need for it. I have never had a problem with my hydroforce and I run very hot. I suspect this idea you have will change once you begin using it. Improvements along the way, different set ups etc... Go for it. Who knows, this sounds like something we all want in respect to remote operation.

May 6, 2008
GA.
Real Name
D Oxley
Business Location
United States
There was someone about 5 years ago that had developed a remote control setup for truck mounts. Seems like it adjusted RPM, temperature and turned on and off or something like that. It was about $1,500.

I don't know what became of it, but I'm under the impression that it didn't take off like he expected.

idreadnought

Mar 8, 2009
California
Real Name
Robert Smith
Business Location
United States
I am a cleaner building a company, I have nothing to sell. If the system works the way I believe it will then I will direct anyone to the place I bought the items and how to hook them up. I did however think up a very low tech way to do what I need from the convieniece of a home or building. Bring a male quick connect inside with me. connect the quick connect and use it to dump hot water into the vac line untill the solution cools down. Not near as cool but it should work and it would qualify for the kiss principal.