TM bogs down after installing new pressure regulator. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

TM bogs down after installing new pressure regulator.

SuckItUp

Jun 19, 2012
Clear Lake, TX
www.mean2clean.com
Real Name
Remington
Business Location
United States
I can hear my 15 HP Kohler Command Pro bog down (RPM lowering) when I pull the trigger on my wand while cleaning carpet.

Never had this experience even when she was in the best shape of her life.

I just feel like my motor isn't hitting the max RPM it's suppose to in general. Suction doesn't seem at it's best, either.

Any thoughts or ideas on why it would do this?

Thanks in advanced.

Specs:
Engine: 15 HP Kohler Command Pro (Oldie, but well maintained)
33 Roots blower
2500 PSI water pump

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Sounds like with recent repair work that you have a possible obstruction, measure the flow, is it less? Look at carbon steel fittings and hoses first, they rust first and choke flow, any little debris can sometimes almost plug old hoses. If it isn't doing it in bypass, it's likely after the unloader. Try taking off the recovery tank lid and running, does it still do it?

Hydraulic hoses are not forever, as you change them out in the future, consider using high temp pressure washer QC's on each side. Makes life and troubleshooting, way easier.

SuckItUp

Jun 19, 2012
Clear Lake, TX
www.mean2clean.com
Real Name
Remington
Business Location
United States
Sounds like with recent repair work that you have a possible obstruction, measure the flow, is it less? Look at carbon steel fittings and hoses first, they rust first and choke flow, any little debris can sometimes almost plug old hoses. If it isn't doing it in bypass, it's likely after the unloader. Try taking off the recovery tank lid and running, does it still do it?

Hydraulic hoses are not forever, as you change them out in the future, consider using high temp pressure washer QC's on each side. Makes life and troubleshooting, way easier.
If by flow, you mean pressure from the water pump? It's more powerful than ever after the regulator change. (I've had a clogged unloader to heater box before and cleaned thoroughly and it did work after.. but did not clean the heater box end as the clog seem to be at the regulator side of the unloader - maybe I'll start there)

However, now that you mention it, I did change one rusty hose I didn't notice after the first test run with the new regulator.

I'm guessing that could have run some unwanted rust through the heater box? (Even though the pump pressure seems normal and flowing powerfully?)

Of course!!! I always get high temp/pressure replacements when changing any QC's.

Thanks for the response!

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
More pressure will put a heavier load on the engine and with you only having a 15 horsepower engine you will notice a drop in the rpm’s with higher pressure. I’m guessing the new regulator is working better than the old one and you are getting more pressure which will drop the rpm’s a bit.

Try standing next to your truckmount with your wand hooked up. Pull the trigger and while holding it open turn the pressure up and down and see if you notice the fifference in the engine speed.

My truckmount was just about the same setup you have now (it’s an old prochem). When the engine died I went from a 16 horsepower to a 23 horsepower engine. I’d recommend when the time comes to replace your engine that you get a little more horsepower.

SuckItUp

Jun 19, 2012
Clear Lake, TX
www.mean2clean.com
Real Name
Remington
Business Location
United States
More pressure will put a heavier load on the engine and with you only having a 15 horsepower engine you will notice a drop in the rpm’s with higher pressure. I’m guessing the new regulator is working better than the old one and you are getting more pressure which will drop the rpm’s a bit.

Try standing next to your truckmount with your wand hooked up. Pull the trigger and while holding it open turn the pressure up and down and see if you notice the fifference in the engine speed.

My truckmount was just about the same setup you have now (it’s an old prochem). When the engine died I went from a 16 horsepower to a 23 horsepower engine. I’d recommend when the time comes to replace your engine that you get a little more horsepower.
That was actually the initial test after hearing it bog down the first time. I think you may be right - the regulator is working TOO good and I'm just not use to it lol.

Upgrading the engine is definitely on my to do list. I've never had any problems with the ol' 15 HP, but if more HP = More suction and PSI without bogging down, it'll have to happen sooner than expected.

Thanks, Todd.