Titan 575, gimped through end of my job today | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Titan 575, gimped through end of my job today

Feb 13, 2011
CA
Real Name
Bret Furtado
Business Location
United States
Hey folks,

Not going to lie, got a bit freaked out when I couldn't get my TM to start back up today. I was working on a job for a few hours, and could hear the truck stuttering outside. Few minutes later, it shut off. Figured my auto pump out didn't engage for some reason, so I dumped the tank. When I tried to start it, I only could hear a click, no cranking. I left it in the 'run' position and could hear the fuel pump working, and eventually it fired up again. About five minutes later it shuts down and is doing the same thing. I slammed the lid on the recovery tank to see if maybe something was stuck, left it in the run position, and it fired up again. It did this three times but fortunately I was able to finish the job and the customer wasn't aware I was having problems. I wasn't sure it was going to start again at all.

This machine has 3900 hours on it, was professionally serviced before I had it installed. I'll be checking all the fluids and everything tonight, just got home, but I can see it has engine oil and coolant. I have a big job on Thursday and a commercial job Friday, so need to make sure all my bases are covered. Called Proline in Sacramento and the mechanic said it could be an electrical issue, due to it not cranking? He said it should still crank even if the waste tank is full. Maybe it was overheating? Maybe my float was stuck?

Thoughts on what the issue could be?

Thank you,
Bret

RVR

Jan 15, 2015
Real Name
Ryan Van Ruler
Hey folks,

Not going to lie, got a bit freaked out when I couldn't get my TM to start back up today. I was working on a job for a few hours, and could hear the truck stuttering outside. Few minutes later, it shut off. Figured my auto pump out didn't engage for some reason, so I dumped the tank. When I tried to start it, I only could hear a click, no cranking. I left it in the 'run' position and could hear the fuel pump working, and eventually it fired up again. About five minutes later it shuts down and is doing the same thing. I slammed the lid on the recovery tank to see if maybe something was stuck, left it in the run position, and it fired up again. It did this three times but fortunately I was able to finish the job and the customer wasn't aware I was having problems. I wasn't sure it was going to start again at all.

This machine has 3900 hours on it, was professionally serviced before I had it installed. I'll be checking all the fluids and everything tonight, just got home, but I can see it has engine oil and coolant. I have a big job on Thursday and a commercial job Friday, so need to make sure all my bases are covered. Called Proline in Sacramento and the mechanic said it could be an electrical issue, due to it not cranking? He said it should still crank even if the waste tank is full. Maybe it was overheating? Maybe my float was stuck?

Thoughts on what the issue could be?

Thank you,
Bret

My sapphire has acted like that both times the fuel pump went out. Could hear the pump running but it wasn’t pumping. The only difference was that the engine would crank but not start. If it won’t crank, I would suggest an electrical short or something shutting it down like an overheat sensor.

Reactions: Sapphire Steamer
Feb 13, 2011
CA
Real Name
Bret Furtado
Business Location
United States
Thank you for replying RVR. You know what bro, I think maybe it overheated. I've been thinking that I don't need to be cranking that thing to full speed all the time, I've probably been overworking it a bit. I've only done 7 jobs since starting my company and the only other TM I've used was at Stanley years ago and I had no control over how the machine ran. That also would explain why it shut down again so quickly and fired back up after a few minutes had past. Do you guys usually only crank up to full RPM's if you really need it?

Other than that, I've been babying this thing, keeping it clean, lubricating the blower after every job, ect.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
YES! Pull that throttle out all the way! You could harm the engine if you run it slower.

So you bought it used? Was it already installed in a van? If so, then Id guess fuel pump at those hours. I change mine every three years (dont wait to let it go out because what are you doing when it goes out? MAKING MONEY)

but it could be something else. Heck, mine was just over a year old and just stopped running, no juice at all but battery was good. Turns out a wire connect vibrated loose.

Anyway, dont worry, its something simple. Just have to find it!

Feb 13, 2011
CA
Real Name
Bret Furtado
Business Location
United States
YES! Pull that throttle out all the way! You could harm the engine if you run it slower.

So you bought it used? Was it already installed in a van? If so, then Id guess fuel pump at those hours. I change mine every three years (dont wait to let it go out because what are you doing when it goes out? MAKING MONEY)

but it could be something else. Heck, mine was just over a year old and just stopped running, no juice at all but battery was good. Turns out a wire connect vibrated loose.

Anyway, dont worry, its something simple. Just have to find it!
Yes, I bought the TM used, professionally serviced. It wasn't cheap. It wasn't already installed in a van, I had it installed in an E250 and they put a fuel tap in. Good to know I was doing the right thing by cranking it up :D Thanks for the positive vibes, I know it's not going to be a big deal. But I have some good jobs on Thursday and Friday, and the Thursday one is big. Would you still think it's the fuel pump, if it wasn't cranking? Is it unlikely for these things to overheat?

I appreciate the detective work, going to call ProLine tomorrow and see what they think. I talked to a few mechanics there while trying to figure out how to get it back running and they had conflicting opinions. I guess everything is lining up good to get it handled. I know it's probably something simple.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Trust me, professionally serviced doesn't mean diddly squat.

As others have said first thing I would do is replace the fuel pump.

Second thing I would do is double check the wires.

Its possible your float switch is stuck a little bit (and that will cut off the fuel pump).

TMS are designed to run full throttle.

Feb 13, 2011
CA
Real Name
Bret Furtado
Business Location
United States
I will look into it, thank you guys. I did some more research after mrotto said it should always be running full throttle. For upholstery jobs I was turning it down because the vacuum was so strong, hopefully I didn't damage my machine. The manual says don't clean in the 'idle' position but I thought I still had flexibility with the throttle to control vacuum pressure, guess I was wrong. I had a small upholstery job the day before on lower RPM, I've done at least three since owning the machine. Wish I knew that in advance! Going to test the machine again today.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I doubt doing it one time hurt it like that. But yeah run full throttle whenever possible. Running at 3/4 for upholstery shouldn't be too bad.

Feb 13, 2011
CA
Real Name
Bret Furtado
Business Location
United States
Thanks Oxi. I talked to my distributor for more information. Just tested the machine, ran for an hour and a half and cleaned my wifes car, no issues whatsoever.

He doesn't believe it's a fuel pump issue because it would at least have cranked over instead of clicking. He believes the truck got too hot, which could have been causing some electrical shorting and that's why the truck stuttered and didn't want to start for a few minutes (until it cooled down). Checked all the electrical, battery, everything looks good and tight.

I'm going to open the van up more when cleaning, usually just keep the slider open and lock the rest to keep people out of the truck. Going to run the 'warm' setting instead of hot and will always run the machine at full speed. Open the back doors and windows too.

I do have that metal barricade in there, and man was it on fire even only after an hour of cleaning, so I can imagine with limited airflow it could have caused a temporary issue.

Thank you guys, having a decent week, trying to get up to at least one job per day starting out here, have three this week. Moving along, but the last thing I wanted was the truck to sink when I need to get those jobs done.

Be well friends,
- Bret

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Overheating entirely possible with that kind of set-up. What type of van is it in?

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Only door open is side door

in california

heat issue

Im in Wisconsin and leave ALL doors and windows open in summer. Now I have the rear doors closed if it gets to down to 10 degrees and start closing windows when it gets below that.

Decker

Jan 3, 2011
TX
deckerscarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Mike Decker
Business Location
United States
The waste tank off float switch will sometimes get stuck, causing non start panic.
Also wiggle the wires at the ignition switch, sometimes they come loose. The ignition switch could go bad.
There is a reset button in the "fuse box" check that and fuses.
The pump clutch can overheat, sending a nonstart signal. (i think mine was around 3000 hours in Houston heat.
And you could also be overheating or getting vapor lock. Bad fuel or filter is also a possibility.

Out 575 is on the Hydramaster water box in an E350. About 6 inches of clearance to roof. We get HOT!

Rico1

Jun 30, 2017
Real Name
Ricardo Vázquez
The waste tank off float switch will sometimes get stuck, causing non start panic.
Also wiggle the wires at the ignition switch, sometimes they come loose. The ignition switch could go bad.
The pump clutch can overheat, sending a nonstart signal. (i think mine was around 3000 hours in Houston heat.
And you could also be overheating or getting vapor lock. Bad fuel or filter is also a possibility.

Out 575 is on the Hydramaster water box in an E350. About 6 inches of clearance to roof. We get HOT!

Do you run any fans to help cooling it down while working? I’ve seen some vans with roof vent fans, I wonder if those help at all.

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis

I replaced my float switch and the new one got stuck for a couple times - till the slime lubed it a little - lol

Feb 13, 2011
CA
Real Name
Bret Furtado
Business Location
United States
I wanted to give you guys an update. I had a big job and ran the machine for five hours on Thursday, and a three hour job yesterday. Machine ran great with all the doors on the van open, and I put the machine on 'warm' instead of 'hot'. Still had plenty of steam. It obviously just overheated. Appreciate the detective work here, will catch up with you guys soon.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
yep. I ran mine on Hot when I first got it but the Warm setting gets me constant 200 and the temp knob is only open 3/4 way

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
yep. I ran mine on Hot when I first got it but the Warm setting gets me constant 200 and the temp knob is only open 3/4 way
Think back when the salesman talked up a good list of attributes on the TM • • • think he would of mentioned
• • oh, by t way, you’ll end up running 3/4 throttle and really only get @ 200* in a couple yrs.

Might not be too bad but • • those things are ssssoooo
$ $ $