Tired of the IICRC?

clean slate

Apr 15, 2011
new hampshire
Real Name
adam
Business Location
United States
That goes back to my earlier point - if you're spending time and money on advanced education of any kind, be it college, IICRC, TMF school, or underwater basket-weaving, and you're not using that as a selling point with your customers to differentiate yourself from a fly-by-night fellow offering cheaper services, that oversight is not the fault of the educational provider.
I've been doing this for 25 years ,worked for Servpro for 7 as a supervisor . Through them I've gotten certificates in - mold remediation, fire/soot , water damage etc etc .and was IICRC certified threw them when I left I was reported for putting their sticker on my truck ? Who does that ?! . Anyway I called and even though I spent hours on hours in classes they told me I had to take them over when I left Servpro ?!?! . It's called greed son

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I've been doing this for 25 years ,worked for Servpro for 7 as a supervisor . Through them I've gotten certificates in - mold remediation, fire/soot , water damage etc etc .and was IICRC certified threw them when I left I was reported for putting their sticker on my truck ? Who does that ?! . Anyway I called and even though I spent hours on hours in classes they told me I had to take them over when I left Servpro ?!?! . It's called greed son
And I think what's really sad is when one pays in for 20-30 years and retire there is no "honorary mention" of any type. Kind sad.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
This, I can perhaps shed some light on.

When the company for which you work pays for your IICRC training, and they have you put down their company information as the contact information, then the certifications stay with the company and not with the technician.

If you want your IICRC certifications to travel with you wherever you go, then when you sign up you simply put your own information as opposed to the company's.

Some companies are okay with this, some are not. The man I work for is gracious enough to pay for my classes, but to let me keep my certifications under my own name. The only thing I am required to do is to pay my yearly dues.

Not many companies operate like this, however, because they feel like if they are going to pay for the education, and the technician then leaves and uses that education to make money elsewhere, then their money is wasted.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
There is a difference between certified firm (company) and certified technician.

The company must be certified to use the IICRC logo in company advertising. Thus the request to remove the logos from your vehicle. That was considered company advertising.

The technician who has taken the class and passed the exam can wear the logo on his uniform, because that is considered to be promoting the person not the company.

Company advertising can state facts regarding certification without using the logo. For example, your Facebook page can say "All our techs are IICRC certified!" but you can't use the logo unless your company is also certified.

Company certificsation requires proof of insurance, signing a pledge of honest and ethical business practices and of course paying an annual fee.

Not taking a side on is this a good policy or not. Just explaining.

Reactions: admin

LightningCarpetCare

May 2, 2016
Real Name
Eli Rodriguez
This, I can perhaps shed some light on.

When the company for which you work pays for your IICRC training, and they have you put down their company information as the contact information, then the certifications stay with the company and not with the technician.

If you want your IICRC certifications to travel with you wherever you go, then when you sign up you simply put your own information as opposed to the company's.

Some companies are okay with this, some are not. The man I work for is gracious enough to pay for my classes, but to let me keep my certifications under my own name. The only thing I am required to do is to pay my yearly dues.

Not many companies operate like this, however, because they feel like if they are going to pay for the education, and the technician then leaves and uses that education to make money elsewhere, then their money is wasted.
I digress because they can simply just go to another company that offers to pay the IICRC class it should be a breeze to pass if they already got certified it's not like the technician is actually dishing out their own money it's the company is paying for it

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Apr 26, 2012
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States
I just tested it and its working fine. What browser are you using Tiffany?
Chrome. It is telling me the video is no longer available...

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Reactions: Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Apr 26, 2012
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
In 24 years & 60k+ jobs I've been asked about certifications exactly twice and one of the times the customer was a former carpet cleaner. I firmly believe in proper professional training, but the customer doesn't know or care about where or how long ago they got them IMO. Having well trained, qualified personal in the field cleaning high end furnishings along with the proper insurance on their work does actually matter. The basics need to be taught regardless of what banner they are taught under. Many here come to learn and snap at the hand that feeds? I hope Rob's system succeeds, because that means the industry succeeds and hopefully drives up the price on our underappreciated hard work.

I would be lying if I said I didn't cringe at some of the questions on here just like every other veteran that responds, but we offer good advice freely to help those just like those that helped us as noobs, however Google and forums are apparently the new research tool. lol

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor
There is a difference between certified firm (company) and certified technician.

The company must be certified to use the IICRC logo in company advertising. Thus the request to remove the logos from your vehicle. That was considered company advertising.

The technician who has taken the class and passed the exam can wear the logo on his uniform, because that is considered to be promoting the person not the company.

Company advertising can state facts regarding certification without using the logo. For example, your Facebook page can say "All our techs are IICRC certified!" but you can't use the logo unless your company is also certified.

Company certificsation requires proof of insurance, signing a pledge of honest and ethical business practices and of course paying an annual fee.

Not taking a side on is this a good policy or not. Just explaining.
Scott I would like to get certified can you email me some info. Kyle@kylescarpetcleaning.com

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor
In 24 years & 60k+ jobs I've been asked about certifications exactly twice and one of the times the customer was a former carpet cleaner. I firmly believe in proper professional training, but the customer doesn't know or care about where or how long ago they got them IMO. Having well trained, qualified personal in the field cleaning high end furnishings along with the proper insurance on their work does actually matter. The basics need to be taught regardless of what banner they are taught under. Many here come to learn and snap at the hand that feeds? I hope Rob's system succeeds, because that means the industry succeeds and hopefully drives up the price on our underappreciated hard work.

I would be lying if I said I didn't cringe at some of the questions on here just like every other veteran that responds, but we offer good advice freely to help those just like those that helped us as noobs, however Google and forums are apparently the new research tool. lol
Don't insurance companies require IICRC certification for flood and water damage?