Time to expand? I think...just maybe. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Time to expand? I think...just maybe.

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
Don't know about the wand you saw used, but it looked like a garden hose hooked straight up to it. At my house, I get 5 GPM out of my water spigot. Don't know what it was like where I worked at, but there was a good bit of volume. How wide was the cylinder at the bottom? Blue wand, I'm thinking was maybe 15-18 inches across, and the slit might have been 1/8"? Not sure how to calculate the flow you'd get from that. Where my math geeks at!?

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Don't know about the wand you saw used, but it looked like a garden hose hooked straight up to it. At my house, I get 5 GPM out of my water spigot. Don't know what it was like where I worked at, but there was a good bit of volume. How wide was the cylinder at the bottom? Blue wand, I'm thinking was maybe 15-18 inches across, and the slit might have been 1/8"? Not sure how to calculate the flow you'd get from that. Where my math geeks at!?
Joseph,
Garden hose hooked up directly to the wand at the top of it. Appears that these wands both have the same measurements as well. Approximately 15 to 18" and 1/8" slot as well.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I'm maybe thinking instead of having a long slit on the bottom of the wand maybe have a bunch of small holes drilled in it kind of like how a holed glide looks. Less open area may increase the PSI some from the garden hose and force the water deeper into the rug which would flush it out better.

Keep in mind I am just an idiot that knows absolutely nothing on this subject and all this is from a 15 minute observation of seeing the wand in action at Connections. I am just thinking here. I may be way off.

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
Thought about that as well. What kind of spacing between the holes? I'd love to get my hands on this so I can compare flushing ability to what I've used previously...(hint, hint, nudge, nudge)

:)

I'm gonna talk to my buddy tomorrow. He's got an early teen son who works with him. Might be a nice project for him.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Maybe space the holes something like on this glide here. Maybe even smaller holes kind of like what is on the Sapphire carpet wand.

It just occurred to me, when you say blue wand are you referring to a sapphire wand like this?

owenscott

Aug 6, 2009
Friggin Cold Upstate NY
Real Name
Stop snoopin u homo
Business Location
United States
In this thread for no other reason than its gonna be epic (or has potential) and might be a sticky someday and im part of it :O)
the only thing i had to say Todd said it thirty minutes ago ...

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
Todd - No. Blue Rug Wand like Ross was talking about, much the same as the one you guys saw at the class.

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
1/8" slit 18 inches long will have 1/7 the pressure that exists at the mouth of the 5/8" garden hose.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States

1leonchen

Apr 4, 2011
home
Real Name
leon chen
Business Location
United States
wouldn't a water broom from northern tools work the same way and change the tips to chemical black nozzles.if more pressure is needed just use a pressure washer or boost pump
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200517714_200517714

adding a pressure washer gun and adapt it to garden hose is not too hard. i would remove the 1/4 inch qd and upgrade to 1/2 the use a piece of metal pipe and a standard ball valve.upgrade to 1/2 would increase flow faster to the jets

the dusty wand can be fabricated from pvc and create a working mock up then u could test if slotted is better than holes

KhachederianRugs

Sep 25, 2012
Real Name
Debbie Khachederian
If your just starting out I would just go with the tarp and some PVC pipe. It's a good starter!!!

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States