Timber Floor

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey Bayliss
Well it was a pig of a floor I tried to put lipstick on, and it came up pretty good....
Mahogany dance floor damaged
Land lord unwilling to refinish
My good friend called me and asked for help, he just moved into a new venue/premises
Hit the floor with black pad and viper venom
Rinsed with tile spinner at 800
Used tuff gloss timber floor sealer and a fringe mop
The damaged sections kept going black and soaking up the sealer
It was slowly improving but just as I put the 5th coat of sealer down it just glossed over and bang, there you go
I’ll go back tomorrow and buff it up/polish

Seaside

Nov 4, 2011
CA
Real Name
Brian Benson
Business Location
United States
You used a black pad, tile cleaner and 800psi spinner on a real wood floor? No warping with all that water? Had no idea this was an option for a harder wood floor..

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey Bayliss
You used a black pad, tile cleaner and 800psi spinner on a real wood floor? No warping with all that water? Had no idea this was an option for a harder wood floor..
Yeah, you have to pick your target, Mahogany is a tough marine wood, South American has a good bit of sand in it unlike African, so tough on the knives in machines for wood working, but a hardy hardwood. Water doesn’t effect hardwood like soft wood!!

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Mahogany is a very hardy Marine grade wood with less expansion width wise than it's shallow expansion length wise and also very stable across humidity values in all 3 directions. Boats are built with it for many reasons, one because of it's many strengths, but few flaws. It carries very few detractors including lack of knots other than dust allergies for it's inherent strength, bending abilities and length availability to the end user. Good African mahogany is as pretty tough wood all around even at at premium price.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Yeah, you have to pick your target, Mahogany is a tough marine wood, South American has a good bit of sand in it unlike African, so tough on the knives in machines for wood working, but a hardy hardwood. Water doesn’t effect hardwood like soft wood!!
Very true! That's why cruise ship decks are covered in either teak or mahogany.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Well it was a pig of a floor I tried to put lipstick on, and it came up pretty good....
Mahogany dance floor damaged
Land lord unwilling to refinish
My good friend called me and asked for help, he just moved into a new venue/premises
Hit the floor with black pad and viper venom
Rinsed with tile spinner at 800
Used tuff gloss timber floor sealer and a fringe mop
The damaged sections kept going black and soaking up the sealer
It was slowly improving but just as I put the 5th coat of sealer down it just glossed over and bang, there you go
I’ll go back tomorrow and buff it up/polish

Wow! Amazing - makes me especially eager to get into wood re-finishing!! Great job man.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Top class job mate!

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey Bayliss
@Scott W
All I could find was “high percentage” solids
Was about 6coats then a couple of touch up coats on the dark section
Just after I did that they held interviews and used a chair with a worn plastic stopper, and scratched the hell out of the floor....I almost died haha
Used a fringe sealer flat mop
Not too thick coats
About 4.5L for that dance floor
I’ll measure it up for you
I’m going there tonight
Used AGAR Tuff Gloss

Reactions: Scott W