Tile Master on soot from grease fire. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Tile Master on soot from grease fire.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I was asked to clean up after someone left a lb. of bacon burning in the kitchen so long it melted the ceiling and sent smoke everywhere. I don't do fire restoration and have no chems on hand especially for that. I mixed up a Hydroforce with Tile Master and threw in some Grease Eraser for extra measure. I was surprised by how well it worked. I haven't had to do a smoke damage job in quite a while. The last one was a LOT tougher to clean. One of the rooms here was so bad I told them I can't guarantee the outcome, but they wanted it cleaned too. If it weren't for some other permanent stains and heavy wear it would've come out fine. It seemed the prespray mix cut through it like a hot knife. Although some of the carpets didn't look too bad there was a layer of soot literally wall to wall. I probably didn't need to add that Grease Eraser, but I'm sure it didn't hurt a bit. I also put some Odoban in my rinse tank for any residual odor, but there really wasn't too bad of an odor on this one.

20190819_112457.jpg

I told them I'd do my best on this room. No guarantee whatsoever. They were fine with that. That darkened area is mostly tracked on soot from the grease fire.There were some stains in there I couldn't even phase.
20190819_112525.jpg

This dining room didn't really look that bad until I hit it with the Rotovac. Then you could see the difference big time!
20190819_112704.jpg

This bedroom really needed replacing. All of the remaining stains are beyond any hope of getting them out.
20190819_144221.jpg

The above dining room after I did the finishing touches.
20190819_144243.jpg

Reactions: ACP

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
You did well, a good contractor or adjuster would have gotten all carpet replaced and all walls repainted though

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
You did well, a good contractor or adjuster would have gotten all carpet replaced and all walls repainted though
There was no insurance claim involved. The owners did the rest of the cleanup themselves.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Nice job!
I haven't done too many of these types of jobs. In the past, I've tried several different things to get the soot off which as you probably know can be pretty tough to remove. I did one that had soot in the Den from a fireplace that was just insanely hard to get out. I was surprised really how easy this one came clean. I'm not certain Tile Master gets all the credit, but I'll definitely be thinking of it first if and when I run into another job like this. I've found Citrus boosters work pretty well for soot, but I happen to have used my last bit of that last week.

What have you used for soot that has worked well for you? I just thought this thread might be helpful to some to know how to tackle this type of job.