Tile / Grout cleaning

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Ok, so I took the advice and bought a portable Terminator 1200 and Turbo Hybrid.

Bought the Groutmaster and brush combo. Bought some viper venom sealer and magic wand.

Where on this site can I go to get advice on the sealing part of this?

I stopped by a friends house today and she's got tight grout lines. Not sure how I would seal this. She's got travertine floors.

Travertine and most natural stone gets sealed. When doing ceramic (man0made) tiles, you only seal the grout lines. For natural stone, you will seal the entire floor.

Sealer should be a penetrating or impregnating sealer that is absorbed by the stone. It fills nooks and crannnies, pores and capillaries in the stone to help keep liquid spills out. It should not change the appearance of the stone.

A sealer can be applied to travertine with a flat mop or a finish applicator mop or even a moss rubber (foam) squeegee.

Some portions of the stone will be more absorbent than others. It is importnat to apply enough sealer to fill the voids but not too much sealer that will dry on the surface and become tacky or sticky. If part of the stone seems to dry quickly, you need to apply more sealer there. If some of the sealer is not soaking in but might start to dry on the surface, that needs to be wiped up or spread around to a dry area that needs it.

EZ_Clean

May 3, 2016
Real Name
Gerald
Even with the different service, I'd assume that the grout lines and surface itself would still need pressure cleaning.

I have a 175 rotary that I could put a diamond pad on and weigh it down to buff it out.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
LNG has a good point... Not all tile floors are created equal. Until you are familiar with what is what then always test your cleaning and sealing system on a small section of that floor before attacking the whole floor. It sounds like you're ready to go now. As for sealing it really matters on what you're sealing because on porceline and ceramic tile you only want to seal the grout but on stone floors like travertine you might want to seal the tile and the grout. And you might want a shine on the tile or a matte finish or none at all.

Reactions: aloha one

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
I would stick to ceramic tile starting out.
Also a crb brush machine is a must,
As a rotary won't get down in the grout lines.
You have made a good start.
Agree with the ceramic starting point but Hate to tell you this neither will a CRB ...nor brush kits on an RX get into the grout lines unless they are almost flush with the Tile..Which I have yet to see.

EZ_Clean

May 3, 2016
Real Name
Gerald
How long is Viper Venom, Tilemaster, or Groutmaster good for after mixing in your pump sprayer?

Let's say you mixed some for a job and had some left over. Do you need to throw out that batch after a day or 2 or is it still good after say a week of just sitting static in the pump sprayer?

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
I did a tile job the other day and had leftover groutmaster mix so i just added my prespray to it for my next job that day(i use a battery sprayer). I read that it looses oxygen after a day or so. Some people just add oxygen to it, if its been sitting.