Tile / Grout cleaning

EZ_Clean

May 3, 2016
Real Name
Gerald
I'm looking at starting a side line gig. Don't know if this will pan out, but I've got other ideas going on around this at the same time.

All of the items below are items that I have and were used exclusively for personal home use, but thinking of doing something with them:

*. Sanitaire 13" Floor machine w/ poly and nylon brushes

*. Oreck orbiter 550 XL with pad driver, various pads/bonnets, black brushes, and orange brush

* Sanitaire 889 Vacuum

*. Craftsman wet/dry vac (16 gallon, 6.5 hp XSP)

*. 3 small air movers

*. Metal wands adapted to vac. 1 squeegee wand and 1 regular vacuum wand

Thinking about doing some tile/grout cleaning. Not interested in a portable or truckmount.

For my personal use, I use ammonia for cleaning my tile and grout.

My market would be residential since I realize I have small equipment.

Do you think I have something to get started with and please give suggestions and/or recommendations.

I have a small list of things that I'd like to pick up to make a more complete tool complement.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
You are so under equipped I would stick to family and friends. With that said after you do a few people you know you will know what you don't have that you need to have. Oh and there is a reason so very few people clean tile and grout with ammonia... You can't breath, the customer can't breath oh and it doesn't work that great. That's more than one reason just to make the point.

Reactions: Superior contract

EZ_Clean

May 3, 2016
Real Name
Gerald
I use ammonia on my personal cleaning and it does a fantastic job.

For others, I'd use a professional/commercial chemical.

I'm quite certain that everyone that first started out was not "well equipped either". That's why I'm posing the question here.

Reactions: Tim Reed

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States

I'm quite certain that everyone that first started out was not "well equipped either". That's why I'm posing the question here.
Go over to interlink supply and pick up a grout brush and some tile & grout cleaner. Get one of the powdered cleaners. They sell TMF Tilemaster and Viper Venom powder with Citrus. Pick up one of those along with a pump sprayer.

If you are using a 2 gallon pump sprayer put 4-5 scoops of powder in with warm water and shake it up good. Put the chemical down in small enough areas that you can finish cleaning it before the chemical dries. Allow a 5-10 minute dwell time before scrubbing the grout lines with the grout brush then run one of your scrubbers over the tile. Be sure to rinse well.

Reactions: Tim Reed

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Todd has great advice if you are only going to do an occassional side job. If your goal is top make this a business, you will want more powerful equipment that can do the job better and faster.

I have written a basic guide to help get folks started in cleaning tile, grout and stone. You can get a copy free by an email request to [email protected]

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
What happens if the chemical dries before scrubbing or extracting?
What happens if you allow shampoo to dry in your hair before rinsing?

With any surface, not rinsing before drying leaves an alkaline residue. On hard surfaces it shows up as a haze. You must buff it off with rotary and white pad.

Reactions: suncarpet

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Pick up a container Groutmaster from the TMF store and get the free brush with it.

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
What happens if you allow shampoo to dry in your hair before rinsing?

With any surface, not rinsing before drying leaves an alkaline residue. On hard surfaces it shows up as a haze. You must buff it off with rotary and white pad.
What does happen when shampoo dries in your hair? Ive never had that happen to me..

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
What happens if the chemical dries before scrubbing or extracting?
Find yourself a good porty and hook up a pressure washer to it. Get a spinner.

Doesnt really make sense to practice doing something the wrong way and then improving. Atleast with a prortable and pw, you will get good pressure and decent suction.

EZ_Clean

May 3, 2016
Real Name
Gerald
Ok, so I took the advice and bought a portable Terminator 1200 and Turbo Hybrid.

Bought the Groutmaster and brush combo. Bought some viper venom sealer and magic wand.

Where on this site can I go to get advice on the sealing part of this?

I stopped by a friends house today and she's got tight grout lines. Not sure how I would seal this. She's got travertine floors.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Ok, so I took the advice and bought a portable Terminator 1200 and Turbo Hybrid.

Bought the Groutmaster and brush combo. Bought some viper venom sealer and magic wand.

I stopped by a friends house today and she's got tight grout lines. Not sure how I would seal this. She's got travertine floors.

Be careful what you use on that travertine or she may not be your friend when your done

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P

What state are you in?