Tile and Grout Cleaning!! I am clueless!!

Made New Again

Oct 6, 2010
TX
www.madenewagain.com
Real Name
Blake McCormick
Business Location
United States
Most shower cleaning goes for anywhere between $300-$700 based on degree of filthy and difficulty. Pick you an hourly rate you want to make and figure 4-5 hours on a shower clean and recaulk and that would be your charge.

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Do you come back the next day to seal the floor?

Do you even recommend sealing the floor anyway? And won't they be using the shower again the next anyway, so the floor and grout may not be fully dry the next day any hoo.
I never have sealed shower grout

Reactions: Gasoline

suncarpet

Staff member
Premium VIP
Jul 18, 2013
Bakersfield ca
www.suncarpet.net
Real Name
Rob mueller
Business Location
United States
I've sealed shower grout before.. Water based only... Use blowers to speed dry the shower after cleaning. About 30 minutes. Apply sealer and advise client shower will be out of order for 72 hours... That's what we do.

Rob Mueller, aka Mr. Sun

Rob Mueller, aka Mr. Sun

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1403716434.976234.jpg

ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1403716491.072296.jpg

ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1403716541.820575.jpg

ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1403716628.376294.jpg

ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1403716670.754565.jpg

ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1403716695.974321.jpg

This looks like natural stone to me. Am I right?
Would an acid be a no no? I tested tile master in small areas. Some black and brown debris came up fast. But some corners did not budge.

Nov 5, 2013
extremecleancu.com
Real Name
Andrew Deem
Business Location
United States
View attachment 31213
View attachment 31214
View attachment 31215
View attachment 31216
View attachment 31217
View attachment 31218
This looks like natural stone to me. Am I right?
Would an acid be a no no? I tested tile master in small areas. Some black and brown debris came up fast. But some corners did not budge.
If it is pouris it is most likely natural stone can't tell what it is and yes acid is a big no no on most naturals. If You can find out what it is you could read the back of the bottle to see if it's safe. Or try some in the corner and see if it's ok

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
If it is pouris it is most likely natural stone can't tell what it is and yes acid is a big no no on most naturals. If You can find out what it is you could read the back of the bottle to see if it's safe. Or try some in the corner and see if it's ok

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums
I need a hand tool. Sx-7 or something. I think the Tile Master will work, just need pressure and heat.

Made New Again

Oct 6, 2010
TX
www.madenewagain.com
Real Name
Blake McCormick
Business Location
United States
I think that is imitation travertine ceramic tile. Can you scratch it with a key or knife? If yes - then I'm wrong, .....would probably be natural stone. And acid will definitely be a NO, will etch that stone and not be good. Take a grout file and sand off the black and use a sanded caulk to fill in those areas, which is a lot simpler than regrouting those spots. You can buy a lot of different color caulk at Home Depo in the tile department....

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

Reactions: Scott W

Jay - The Stone Guy

Feb 22, 2014
Real Name
Jay Mullins
I have tried a lot of product in showers to remove soap scum because if that isn't totally removed your sealer will not stick. The best I have found is Zep Shower and Tub cleaner. Spray it on and let it sit for 3 minutes and you may have to wipe it with a green Scotchbrite pad if it is a bad build up but then rinse and that stuff just made your life easy. Do not let that mess dry though, keep it wet while you work...respray the areas you haven't gotten to yet just to keep it wet.

Carpet Lady

May 15, 2011
Texas
Real Name
Christine
Business Location
United States
Sealer: what do y'all use and when do y'all apply. For regular floors not showers. Then how much are you charging for sealer application for the process you are doing?

I use a water based sealer and I roll it on. I clean then dry with fans
And apply a liberal amount and allow to dry.

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
I need a hand tool. Sx-7 or something. I think the Tile Master will work, just need pressure and heat.
Yes you do need a hand tool for showers. It is still hard work but much easier. If that is caulk in the corners, that is why it wont clean up. has to be cut out and caulked again. corners are hard I agree. I scrub corners with grout brush and rinse down. BTW I start at bottom and go up so chemical is not diluted from rinse water. works good for me. still worth a lot of money to mess with them.

Reactions: Gasoline

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
Sealer: what do y'all use and when do y'all apply. For regular floors not showers. Then how much are you charging for sealer application for the process you are doing?

I use a water based sealer and I roll it on. I clean then dry with fans
And apply a liberal amount and allow to dry.
you ever had any hazing type issues. white residue appear?

mrkavin

Banned
Jul 4, 2021
Real Name
kavin
Go buy your tile wands and spinners. For chemicals one of the best things you can use on a shower is shower cleaner. If you have a janitorial supply shop that sells commercial shower cleaner then pick up a gallon, if not go to your local Wal Mart (or whatever) and buy some shower cleaner. I recommend putting the chemical into a different spray bottle so the customer does not see it's an over the counter product. Also get some alkaline tile cleaner (Tilemaster is the best) and an acid tile cleaner. You probably will not need the alkaline cleaner on the shower but be prepared to use the shower cleaner and maybe even the acid. I also recommend picking up a cheap $2 hand scrub brush for use in the shower.

With shower grout the grout lines often never fully dry since it is soaked down daily when the shower is used. Make sure to inform your customer that moisture can make grout look darker and being a shower there will be an extended grout drying time.
Building a new vanity for a small bathroom. Also painting the room.
I noticed today the grout looked a little dingy.
I thought I'd clean the tile/grout before putting the new vanity in.

Anyone know of a good product?

Thanks.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Building a new vanity for a small bathroom. Also painting the room.
I noticed today the grout looked a little dingy.
I thought I'd clean the tile/grout before putting the new vanity in.

Anyone know of a good product?

Thanks.
Read the reviews on Groutmaster.