Tiered packages or one pricing structure? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Tiered packages or one pricing structure?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
do you prefer package deals over upfront pricing/upsell combo?
Yes. It was what worked for my company. Not so say that something different can't work for someone else.

Reactions: B14

snokingkyle

Oct 2, 2017
Real Name
Kyle Wood
I’ve contemplated a protector/warranty like you just mentioned any suggestions as to implementing that ?
Sean,
What I do is similar to Scott, but I personally prefer to keep it simple. I set up the sell by asking if their carpet has been protected previously. If they say no, then I tell them that will make it a bit tougher to get the stains out. Then when I present them with the option to add protector, I tell them it comes with a 6 month warranty, so we’ll stop by one time within 6 months to get out any spot they can’t remove. I’ve only ever had 2 people actually use that warranty.

Reactions: Scott W

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
How do you get people to agree over the phone to allow the time for you to come over and do an in home estimate?

Most people just want the price over the phone in my area.
I just ask. 90% of the time I ask they will let me come look at it and give them an estimate.

Grn Steamer

Dec 5, 2014
Real Name
Matt R
I have a baseline price for everyone. If it's really bad I charge more. I don't let them pick packages because I want to control the outcome...I'm going for the best clean everytime. This does not work out well for shoppers...than goodness. I go look at most jobs first. My concern with tiered pricing is that someone who NEEDS gold will be cheap and pay for Copper package then complain about results and I'm not going there. It has worked well. I use a trex so most jobs get clean...it's usually a matter of how long it takes to do the job.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I guess it all depends on how you sell it. I've heard the magic number is 3 packages no more and no less.
Just like many fast food restaurants - small, medium and large. Most people automatically go for the medium but some buy the large.

B14

Aug 26, 2014
investincleanfloors.com
Real Name
Bry
Just like many fast food restaurants - small, medium and large. Most people automatically go for the medium but some buy the large.
Do you have any suggestions for any resources I might find more info on tiered pricing? I find that I have a knack for sales (mainly because I tend talk a lot) and I think I would benefit from it best.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Do you have any suggestions for any resources I might find more info on tiered pricing? I find that I have a knack for sales (mainly because I tend talk a lot) and I think I would benefit from it best.
The materials I have available were produce anywhere from 8 to 15 years ago. Not current. You may want to contact Howard Partridge / Phenomenal Products to see if they have material on package selling. But be careful as their information may also be dated.

B14

Aug 26, 2014
investincleanfloors.com
Real Name
Bry
The materials I have available were produce anywhere from 8 to 15 years ago. Not current. You may want to contact Howard Partridge / Phenomenal Products to see if they have material on package selling. But be careful as their information may also be dated.
Thanks a lot Scott I'll give that a shot.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
People whose first (and sometimes only) concern is How Much, as opposed to How Good and How Quickly, tend to not be your best customers. You earn less per hour from them, you traditionally get heavy-duty soiling in their homes which requires more effort, and if they do bother to refer you it's to other How Much people.

Granted, the How Much people are a large percentage of the population, especially in big cities, but do we really want to sling bait for EVERY fish in the pond, no matter how small? Go for the lunkers!

Going after the How Goods (reviews, certifications, referrals,) and the How Quicklies (force drying, 24-hour phone service, same-day inspections) may be a better plan if your desire is to continue doing high-end resi.

Remember, Good - Fast - Cheap... you get to be only two of the three. And if your focus is on pricing, that immediately knocks out one of the other two in your customers' eyes.

The best high-end resi guys I have here will NOT do quotes over the phone. They will ONLY do on-site inspections with the customer, and their closing percentage tends to be in the 65-80% range because of their level of service and professionalism. People who are prepared to pay appropriately for good work don't mind taking a half hour out of their day to size up their service provider, grill him on what makes him special, and assure themselves that a quality individual is going to be doing the work.

A healthy carpet cleaning company turns down jobs on a regular basis.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
People whose first (and sometimes only) concern is How Much, as opposed to How Good and How Quickly, tend to not be your best customers. You earn less per hour from them, you traditionally get heavy-duty soiling in their homes which requires more effort, and if they do bother to refer you it's to other How Much people.

Granted, the How Much people are a large percentage of the population, especially in big cities, but do we really want to sling bait for EVERY fish in the pond, no matter how small? Go for the lunkers!

Going after the How Goods (reviews, certifications, referrals,) and the How Quicklies (force drying, 24-hour phone service, same-day inspections) may be a better plan if your desire is to continue doing high-end resi.

Remember, Good - Fast - Cheap... you get to be only two of the three. And if your focus is on pricing, that immediately knocks out one of the other two in your customers' eyes.

The best high-end resi guys I have here will NOT do quotes over the phone. They will ONLY do on-site inspections with the customer, and their closing percentage tends to be in the 65-80% range because of their level of service and professionalism. People who are prepared to pay appropriately for good work don't mind taking a half hour out of their day to size up their service provider, grill him on what makes him special, and assure themselves that a quality individual is going to be doing the work.

A healthy carpet cleaning company turns down jobs on a regular basis.
This is exciting to read for a new business starting! :)

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
What Mama Fen said

but realize that the best customers dont ask for price. So who doesnt ask for price? REFERRALS! I get so many new customers that never asked about price because they were referred to me by people they trust. They simply say, Mrs Jones said your the best - when do you have time to clean my carpet?