matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
My fresh water hose that supplies water to my tm broke yesterday and cut the water supply to my tm. Why do I bring that up??? Well, when my sensor realized that I was out of water, it automatically turned the water pump off and let the engine keep operating. I know ya'll are thinking "why is that so special?". Here's why:

On the past 2 truck mounts before this (older prochem legend, and Amtex), the safety sensor on those were different. When the water supply was cut off, the whole tm would shut down, causing a huge backfire, and stopping the water in the Heat exchanger, causing it to sometimes overheat while sitting in the heat exchanger.

But, with my Hydramaster, the engine is still running, allowing me to keep doing my dry strokes, turn off the water pump, so it diverts the exhaust, and giving me time to reconnect my water supply.

It doesn't seem like much to some, but to us that don't have to hear that engine backfire violently at full throttle...And not needing to feel like I have to run out to my tm....it's a sigh of relief.

So what kind of safety shutoff does your tm have and what happens to the tm when it senses low water??? And what tm do you have with that feature?

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Yes , I noticed this as well on my Titan 575 Matt.
Once we forgot to put our Pump in switch on.
This is the small 100 PSI aux pump that feeds water box from
85 gallon fresh water onboard tank. We were working than all of a sudden no pressure. Went out to TM and figured it out.
I guess the only time my TM will shut down is IF the recovery tank gets to full and float cuts power.

pro1

Jan 10, 2012
CA
Real Name
Rigo Murillo
Business Location
United States
plumber turned off the main water line for some repairs and that was when I lern from this excellent feature w/ the water pump in my Titan 575.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Nice idea but on the other hand the more sensors you have in a system the harder it is to troubleshoot. I would realize instantly that my wand isn't spraying solution and then I'd go investigate.
It's one of the sensors that are needed on the tm. For 2 reasons:
1. To keep the water pump from burning up and locking down
2. Like I said before...To keep the engine from shutting off when it's hot and full of fuel, causing a backfire.

Some of the older, Late 90's, early 00's have too many sensors on them, but I'm seeing that the manufacturers are seeing this as a flaw and are reducing what's not needed. My boxxer xl is not crammed with wires and sensors like the earlier models that are out there. I feel that they've done an awesome job with the engineering on this one.

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
It's one of the sensors that are needed on the tm. For 2 reasons:
1. To keep the water pump from burning up and locking down
2. Like I said before...To keep the engine from shutting off when it's hot and full of fuel, causing a backfire.

Some of the older, Late 90's, early 00's have too many sensors on them, but I'm seeing that the manufacturers are seeing this as a flaw and are reducing what's not needed. My boxxer xl is not crammed with wires and sensors like the earlier models that are out there. I feel that they've done an awesome job with the engineering on this one.
That's great that it works for you. My machine has no systems to shut it down except for low oil pressure and that's how I like it personally. My pump has run dry for 15 minutes and it never caused any issues... I think the running dry thing is overblown a lot of times. It would never "burn up" or "lock down" from running dry for a few minutes or even a bit longer. Worst case you damage the seals.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
That's great that it works for you. My machine has no systems to shut it down except for low oil pressure and that's how I like it personally. My pump has run dry for 15 minutes and it never caused any issues... I think the running dry thing is overblown a lot of times. It would never "burn up" or "lock down" from running dry for a few minutes or even a bit longer. Worst case you damage the seals.
Are you using a Cat pump?

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
That's why. My Legend had run dry like that in the past and didn't give me any problems until 1500hrs.

On the other side...My amtex's hypro pump went dry for less than 3-4 minutes and I had to have it rebuilt on BOTH SIDES of the pump at only 630hrs.

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
My fresh water hose that supplies water to my tm broke yesterday and cut the water supply to my tm. Why do I bring that up??? Well, when my sensor realized that I was out of water, it automatically turned the water pump off and let the engine keep operating. I know ya'll are thinking "why is that so special?". Here's why:

On the past 2 truck mounts before this (older prochem legend, and Amtex), the safety sensor on those were different. When the water supply was cut off, the whole tm would shut down, causing a huge backfire, and stopping the water in the Heat exchanger, causing it to sometimes overheat while sitting in the heat exchanger.

But, with my Hydramaster, the engine is still running, allowing me to keep doing my dry strokes, turn off the water pump, so it diverts the exhaust, and giving me time to reconnect my water supply.

It doesn't seem like much to some, but to us that don't have to hear that engine backfire violently at full throttle...And not needing to feel like I have to run out to my tm....it's a sigh of relief.

So what kind of safety shutoff does your tm have and what happens to the tm when it senses low water??? And what tm do you have with that feature?

Should be an easy change over on any machine that has a clutch driven pulley on the pump. Just route the wire from the water pressure switch to the pump clutch instead of the engine coil so it grounds out the pump clutch instead of killing the engine.

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
That's why. My Legend had run dry like that in the past and didn't give me any problems until 1500hrs.

On the other side...My amtex's hypro pump went dry for less than 3-4 minutes and I had to have it rebuilt on BOTH SIDES of the pump at only 630hrs.
Well I learn something new everyday. I only have experience with Cat pumps. I guess that's why they say they have 9 lives...

amtexequipment

Premium VIP
Dec 8, 2008
Houston, Texas
Real Name
Ben Saney

Matt,
your pump was NOT DAMAGED because of running it dry for "3-4 minutes" like you mentioned,...Instead YOU KNOW WELL
Your pump that you sent to us for rebuilt was damaged due to inadequate lubrication done by you.
causing a worn crankshaft along with broken plunger stud and damaged oil seals.
I think it is sad and not fair after serving you like hundreds of our other customers with free parts, labor and shipping for years even after
warranty expired to be target of your incorrect postings and put downs about our truck mounts.

Regards;
Ben

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Matt,
your pump was NOT DAMAGED because of running it dry for "3-4 minutes" like you mentioned,...Instead YOU KNOW WELL
Your pump that you sent to us for rebuilt was damaged due to inadequate lubrication done by you.
I think it is sad and not fair after serving you like hundreds of our other customers with free parts, labor and shipping for years even after
warranty expired to be target of your incorrect postings and put downs about our truck mounts.

Regards;
Ben
I thought it sounded weird that the crankcase end of the pump would be at all damaged from running dry... let alone "less than 3-4 minutes" like Matt said.

@matt30577 you really need to address this.

Pioneer Floorcare LLC

Dec 10, 2013
Palmer, Alaska
Real Name
Scott Turknett
Business Location
United States
Matt,

Regards;
Ben
I didn't think he was faulting amtex for any trouble. the trouble no matter what falls on his shoulders for running the pump dry.

amtexequipment

Premium VIP
Dec 8, 2008
Houston, Texas
Real Name
Ben Saney
I didn't think he was faulting amtex for any trouble. the trouble no matter what falls on his shoulders for running the pump dry.
Amtex warranty covers all damages, accidental, defects, freezing, redesigning, add on wrong parts etc. EXCEPT if our units
ran without oil, which in a lot of cases we have made exception JUST to get our customers going, not to forget
covering them EVEN after their warranty has been long over and finished.
I look at different postings on TMF every time I can break free from building TMs specially
I like to put the key word "Amtex" just to see what the world is thinking of our units.
Sometime is depressing to see after years of true service our units are labeled by some untrue claims just to promote others, ...that's all.

Ben at Amtex

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Matt,

Regards;
Ben
Ben, I don't see how that could happen. I watched your videos and wrote every word that you told me on how to manage my equipment like it was the bible of truck mounts.

I thank you so much for being there for me, when I needed the help. And you backed your product up with your warranty and yes...after the warranty expired, you helped me when I needed it.

But I don't know where I mentioned putting down your machines in this thread. You must have misinterpreted my statement. I was just giving my feedback of hypro pumps. It's the first and last type of water pump I'll use. It has nothing to do with what machine it's on.

And back to your statement of supporting our products after the warranty. I paid you for that water pump to be fixed. When I received that pump back...Here's your words: "Matt, you've got a new pump in the old body". I assume everything from the seals to the crankshaft was replaced. And you know just as well as I do that you didn't touch the seals because it started leaking water the day after I put it on. So I had to replace the seals the next week.

Ben...This is nothing personal. I haven't said anything yet, but since you brought it up, here it is...the positive and negative of your Warranty and dealing with you that I've experienced:

Pro's:
1. You, the owner, are there to talk to the customer.
2. You send them plenty of parts to get them back on the job
3. You are there to back your products up after the warranty

Con's
1. You aren't there to answer the phone every time a customer calls and need IMMEDIATE help. A lot of times I've had to wait till the end of the day and sometimes 2 days later.
2. STUPID CRAP HAPPENS to your truck mount. LIKE THE STUPID EXHAUST HEADER Rusting in half and having me cancel all my jobs that week because of it.
3. It taking over a week to get the "FREE" parts that you send us to fix the truck mount that shouldn't have broken down. Do we care if the $100 in parts are free when we could've made $750 that week????????

So quit bragging about your free parts. If you try to council me again, I'm gonna start a "Why you shouldn't buy an amtex" I feel that I have the right to do so, because I wasted $10k on a machine and turned down $15k in water damage work last January because that water pump was down and in your shop waiting on you to fix half of it. THAT'S WHY I PULLED THIS OUT AND BOUGHT MY BOXXER.

Last edited:

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Ben, I respect your business and that's why I haven't targeted you in any way. But you know just as well as I do, that with all the money I've lost with all the breakdowns...You'd be just as pissed too if it was your business.

And as for you telling me that I neglected taking care of my water pump with "low quality oil" (your words over the phone to me that day)...Just insults me and my common sense.

And for anything else that I might have mentioned in any other threads...It was pure feedback from my experience using your machines. It was had no motive to hurt your business.

Keep in mind that I bragged your machines almost the whole time I had it. I was just giving feedback on the performance. When it's not reliable, and I have to invest in $21k to replace it, because of the reliability...I'm not gonna lie when someone calls me up, wanting me to give my Honest opinion of performance and Reliability.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I thought it sounded weird that the crankcase end of the pump would be at all damaged from running dry... let alone "less than 3-4 minutes" like Matt said.

@matt30577 you really need to address this.
It ran out of oil, because it started leaking all the oil out, and I didn't see that problem until afterwards. The cause of the leak...I don't know.

But I kept up with the oil changes correctly and with the best oil I could find.

That's why it confused me so much. But I've never used a hypro pump so I don't know the quality. It's just feedback I was giving on what happened.

Latest posts