Throw out some ideas

Discussion in 'Carpet/Upholstery/Hard Surface/Misc. Accessory Rat' started by ratfool, Jul 30, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. ratfool

Premium VIP

Apr 22, 2016
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0 / -0
    One of our classrooms recently had the demise (horrible demise) of their carpet extractor.

Here is the situation and I'm going to throw your ideas at management. The classrooms building in question uses LOTS of chalk. And is the place that gets some of the worse custodial care. Aka not nearly enough vacuuming. When I tried to clean one room, even after two extraction the amount of cake in the carpet was unacceptable. How it's cleaned by the other staff makes it worse. Single swipe rug doctor style cleaning.
    The chalk is most likely gypsum. When water is added it turns into plaster of Paris. We simply do not have enough time to extract each room 5 or 6 times with a portable. Not to mention having to move 40 plus desks each time. Management is getting a pile lifter.
    My idea for them to try is the same technique used in urine. The controlled flood, soak, then hit it hard with the Cimex and try to make a slurry the extractor can pick up. I believe (maybe wrong) low flow extractors may be causing more problems in regards to the chalks reaction to water, then actually cleaning the carpet. And the direction should be changed to a high flow system.
    Right or wrong?
    I'm asking to demo one of these
    Marlene

[​IMG]

2. PhilipW

PhilipW Active Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Male
    Owner/Operator
    South Carolina
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    You need to do a better job at dry extraction for chalk. Any kind of wet extraction is going to turn it to mud. Get a very good vacuum and a CRB. Only after that should you even consider extraction equipment

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. ratfool

Premium VIP

Apr 22, 2016
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0 / -0
    In the process of getting a pile lifter. Problem is it short thick pile CGD. And it got full, wet, and left to dry. I agree would prefer to get it dry. Don't know if it's possible to break the existing cake.
    And
    Thank you

4. Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner Todd Cottino
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    Owner / Operator
    Pahrump, Nevada, United States
    Ratings:
    +25,145 / 58 / -0
    I think vacuuming is the best bet even after being wet (make sure it's dry again first). I would get a hand tool like you often see at a car wash and get down on your hands and knees then vacuum aggressively.

IMG_8480.JPG

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Common janitor

Common janitor Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3,291 / 10 / -0
    First off ,gypsum isn't chalk and chalk isn't gypsum . They're similar but very different .
    Get it dry with dehumidifiers and fans . Pile lifter then vacuum North / South , East / West .
    Pre spray and then use a 175 with either a brush and shower feed or a hogs hair pad , red pad , and then use your extractor . Never used a Cimex but my understanding is they don't really " dig " like a 175 which is why they're safe . Something like this it would seem you need to dig this residue from the dense fiber . The self contained with a brush will help too . Use the " one thousand one, one thousand two etc. " when moving the extractor . In other words ...... Take it slow .
    Demon might work but I've heard enough about fighting hoses and other things from Keep it Kleen I passed on one recently . JMHO .
    All the Best , Ed

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ratfool

Premium VIP

Apr 22, 2016
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0 / -0
    I got a pile lifter on loan and hit the room for more then an hour just like you said. And it was a huge help don't get me wrong. Much -MUCH- better then the Vacuum. What is in the carpet took years. It actually has a stone feel, and I cut my hand on the carpet getting gum off.
    I like the 175 idea. Would a pad "dig the residue?" It's why I was considering soaking the carpet first (like an hour )

• Like Like x 1
  7. keep it clean

Premium VIP

Dec 3, 2012
    Male
    carpet cleaning/installation
    Ratings:
    +5,323 / 2 / -0
    i couldnt wish that thing on my worse enemy lol. Its a demon alright.

8. Common janitor

Common janitor Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3,291 / 10 / -0
    Pads do a great job if you don't have a carpet brush . Got to keep it lubricated or you'll have a fight on your hands !! Lol !! You'll note that they absorb as well .
    All the Best, Ed

9. Sierra Clean Care

Sierra Clean Care Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,028 / 6 / -0
    Need to vac with a powerful vac, with a crazy strong beater bar...... N/S direction, then E/W.... THEN think about extraction......

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dafloorman

Dafloorman Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +1,488 / 7 / -0
    Might need replacing, then start doing the proper maintenance it needs.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Robert86

Robert86 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +858 / 1 / -0
    I never had to deal with chalk, all the schools I worked at had gone to dry erase by the time I started working them. But the horror stories the older custodians would tell... You need to break as much out of there as you can dry. Not really sure how bad it is for you but I had a guy tell me once about whacking a spot that was like mortar in the carpet with a hammer to break it apart enough they could clean it.

Just get as much as you can out before you wet it.

12. Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +858 / 1 / -0
    Depending on how bad it is it just might be cheaper to replace, at least the area in question.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    Technical support Bridgepoint
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,021 / 11 / -1
    I suggest you also try a Brush Pro CRB machine in addition to the Pile Lifter. I think you may find it removes as much of the chalk dust and can be used for other purposes as well. Worth trying.

The Steaming Demon is also worth trying. I found it very helpful when I was doing some elementary schools. They had chalk dust and a lot of tracked in dry soil from playground and such. The Steamin' Demon helped with that. For other places, I was not always fond of the Steamin' Demon, but I lied it in those classrooms.

• Like Like x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. ratfool

Premium VIP

Apr 22, 2016
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0 / -0
    So maybe a jack hammer?

I totally agree with trying to get it dry. If I can't get it dry, what is the issue with deliberately turning it to mud? (A one hour soak then agitated). That is why I was thinking the demon. It would allow me (or the custodians) to pick up the mud and continue to rinse the carpet till the water comes out clear without stopping the process. (Dump the machines). What I read is it has very good water pick up compared to a portable so drying would be less of an issue.
    I may be off base here!

Scott UC STILL does not have a CRB. I'm putting that back into the discussion with them.

Marlene

15. Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +858 / 1 / -0
    Sludge to clean out of the machine and heads would be the downside to wetting it but at some point you'll have to. But get as much as you can out when its dry to reduce the amount of water you'll need to flush it out and the mess in your equipment.

• Like Like x 2