Thread of the Year Closed? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Thread of the Year Closed?

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
The most active engaging thread of the year gets shut down because someone mentioned MSDS sheets that should al be available and read.
It wasn't like Mike was selling anything to us. He doesn't make or sell pre-spray. Doesn't have anything to lose or gain if we buy or don't buy any pre-sprat or other carpet cleaning chemical.
I know Mike is rough and rubs a lot of people the wring way. Hell he pisses me off on a regular basis, and half the time I don't agree with him. But in this case I do agree. Not only do I agree with him, but I was so happy to see a thread get some attention and traction one here after such a long and dead year. We had some of the older heavy hitters commenting on it, not all agreeing but they were involved and reading it.
But now the thread is closed. Rob Allen got the last word in and then shut it down. Maybe this is part of why TMF's best days are behind her. I miss the old TMF.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
If I was Rob I would have said yup I use those two ingredients, slap a pretty label on it and sell it to an audience i built over the last 15 years...so what. If they didn't want to buy it I would be out of business... thats capitalism...welcome to America Mike.

No need to lock the thread... just come right back at him. Mike asked one question...just answer it and move on.

Rob did some fancy tap dancing but it just fueled the fire.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I don't understand what you're talking about. All of the MSDS is available at a click of a button on all of Rob's products. What Mike C. did was accuse him of simply using stripper powder.

Mike C. is insanely ignorant about what is in chemical formulas and what constitutes a good mix. He did what he always does - takes a mild grain of truth and twists it into a big lie. It's plainly obvious Mike C is horrendously jealous of anyone more successful than him. That's the real story. Rob shut down the thread because of lies and misdirection. It wasn't a constructive criticism on Mike's part and he wasn't even trying to hold a rationale conversation.

He's a insecure, jealous teenager in a 60 year old male body. The sins of his past have caught up to him and now hes back on the forums looking for a way to vent his anger. He cant STAND it that someone like Rob has done much better than he has.

Reactions: sbsscn

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
In the years I've been doing this, I've run into thousands of chemicals from dozens of manufacturers, and when you get down to the basic ingredients it's VERY rare to find something that is truly unique and proprietary.

Most of it is a handful of common ingredients put together in varying ratios with good smells built in.

Strippers and other strongly alkaline chemicals WILL, of course, be more aggressive when dealing with certain soils - oily soils in particular, since they cause saponification. Which ones to use (sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, butoxyethanol, etc) depend on your methods, equipment, and what level of risk you wish to take on customers' textiles as well as what you intend to rinse with.

At the end of the day, you can get cleaning chemicals at Home Depot and do the job, lol. I know a guy (whom I respect immensely *cough cough Jim*) who screws a Gatorade bottle onto his injection sprayer and cooks up his own formulas which make his customers very happy.

In other words, to each his own. Some customers expect sizzle AND steak, some just want steak, some are more impressed with sizzle. Every cleaner, and every customer, has different expectations.

You can be all about the basics and please your customers. You can be all about the dog and pony show and wow them that way too.

At the end of the day, basic chemistry is your starting point, and where you go from there is your choice. But don't kid yourself thinking that you're doing something that hundreds haven't already done before you.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Actually,...the whole thing started cuz I mentioned that stripper worked better and rinsed easier.

Since tile and grout are fairly bullet proof, this strategy has always made sense.

Rob threw shit at the prospect of applying stripper to tile and I reminded him that Groutmaster has a weak stripping agent in it.

I've also recommended that if you run into heavy grease, it very effective to add a bit of lye to your pre treat juice on tile.

Now Rob knows full well that not only does most quality professional stripper already have lye in it....he knows that I'm only doing this on tile..... Yet in a feeble effort of character assassination, he tries to elude to the accusation of me doing this on textiles.

It's whatever. You can be the caboose on his human centipede...... If I cared any less what YOU thought of me, I'd go into a coma.

Thought it prudent to set the record straight.

Ask Rob, I dont caboose off anything. I call it like I see it and Rob doesnt give me anything for free except some knowledge.

You're not unique either Mike, strangely you and I have extremely similar cleaning styles yet you're always ragging on me. Hell, we even use the same chemicals and equipment for most of what we do.

Odd that you're always putting me and others down.

Johnny Bravo

Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
If I was Rob I would have said yup I use those two ingredients, slap a pretty label on it and sell it to an audience i built over the last 15 years...so what. If they didn't want to buy it I would be out of business... thats capitalism...welcome to America Mike.

No need to lock the thread... just come right back at him. Mike asked one question...just answer it and move on.

Rob did some fancy tap dancing but it just fueled the fire.

Yep! And it's not the first time either that Rob did that. @Pinosan was put on crawl last year for the same thing. Hasn't been able to post or get onto TMF ever since then.

Last edited:

Johnny Bravo

Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
The more things change the more they stay the same. Doesn't surprise me one bit as things like this has been going on for years and the only difference is that members have changed and top posters have left due to it.

Absolutely as well as good moderators resigning and leaving as well like you and myself.

Johnny Bravo

Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
I don't understand what you're talking about. All of the MSDS is available at a click of a button on all of Rob's products. What Mike C. did was accuse him of simply using stripper powder.

Mike C. is insanely ignorant about what is in chemical formulas and what constitutes a good mix. He did what he always does - takes a mild grain of truth and twists it into a big lie. It's plainly obvious Mike C is horrendously jealous of anyone more successful than him. That's the real story. Rob shut down the thread because of lies and misdirection. It wasn't a constructive criticism on Mike's part and he wasn't even trying to hold a rationale conversation.

He's a insecure, jealous teenager in a 60 year old male body. The sins of his past have caught up to him and now hes back on the forums looking for a way to vent his anger. He cant STAND it that someone like Rob has done much better than he has.

Wow! You're allowing your hate of Mike to cloud your vision buddy.

Reactions: Hacky-sack
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Absolutely as well as good moderators resigning and leaving as well like you and myself.
I believe I was the longest moderator that stayed in the role, Todd is an admin but he has been silent as far as I can see since I rarely visit TMF anymore. I have a strong opinion about Rob and how he lost vision on why he created TMF but most that have been around long enough already see it and see what has happened. All I will say is that it is a damn shame seeing what TMF has became and knowing the reason why.

Johnny Bravo

Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
I believe I was the longest moderator that stayed in the role, Todd is an admin but he has been silent as far as I can see since I rarely visit TMF anymore. I have a strong opinion about Rob and how he lost vision on why he created TMF but most that have been around long enough already see it and see what has happened. All I will say is that it is a damn shame seeing what TMF has became and knowing the reason why.

Yep! I miss the good old days here.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I've taken a big step back lately, because every conversation this year seemed to devolve into political bashing and shade-throwing.

I see there's a new look, but alas there seems to be much less traffic here - and even less of what's being posted nowadays is at all new or industry-related.

Sure, I bet a bunch of guys are doing the social media thing, where they can immediately comment on something and then move on. But the forum offered a way to dig back into the past and look things up, a way for information (and opinions) to stay put for review instead of being lost in the daily chatter. In a world full of immediacy, the forum provided constancy.

There was a time - a very long time - when I looked forward to my daily dose of TMF. I felt helpful and I enjoyed the company of posters. Now, this place feels like a dark and musty echo chamber. There are things in this dark room that bite, too - not because they're 'evil' or 'wrong', but because biting is all they know how to do.

It really is a shame - this forum, while far from perfect, was a great place for beginners and vets alike to come and share, and be heard, and everyone was welcome (as long as there name wasn't Mikey P), and members could find something here that would help them improve their craft.

I do not believe it serves that function any longer.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I've taken a big step back lately, because every conversation this year seemed to devolve into political bashing and shade-throwing.

I see there's a new look, but alas there seems to be much less traffic here - and even less of what's being posted nowadays is at all new or industry-related.

Sure, I bet a bunch of guys are doing the social media thing, where they can immediately comment on something and then move on. But the forum offered a way to dig back into the past and look things up, a way for information (and opinions) to stay put for review instead of being lost in the daily chatter. In a world full of immediacy, the forum provided constancy.

There was a time - a very long time - when I looked forward to my daily dose of TMF. I felt helpful and I enjoyed the company of posters. Now, this place feels like a dark and musty echo chamber. There are things in this dark room that bite, too - not because they're 'evil' or 'wrong', but because biting is all they know how to do.

It really is a shame - this forum, while far from perfect, was a great place for beginners and vets alike to come and share, and be heard, and everyone was welcome (as long as there name wasn't Mikey P), and members could find something here that would help them improve their craft.

I do not believe it serves that function any longer.
Life is interesting. While I was reading this thread I got a call from a cleaner who needed help with application of our new solvent sealer. He said he was surprised to get me but I'm glad he did. He said he "followed the Hanks brothers from their start and has followed my son and I (TMF) since it's inception". He said "each day he get's up at 6am and reads the forum" and won't sign up at FB for personal or business. Said he never posts here as he feels his communication skills aren't as good as others. He said "Rob I call myself a lookyloo". I just look and leave. So here is my point, though the post count has dropped from 1000 posts a day, the unique IP's have not. So many unbeknownst to us still peruse TMF every day. He said it did and still does teach him a lot. So don't discount TMF's reach. Especially on our FB group that gets over a 1000 posts a day. Times change and so did we.

Now let's discuss why things flipped. As we all know FB sought out to create the largest social network on the planet and they did. But obviously FB has morphed into more. They also want to control thought. To do that they targeted forums of every genre by starting "groups". By linking it to an already familiar platform they were and are extremely successful. They own, can and do control content. In process FB's marketing revenue has skyrocketed. So it's easy to point fingers but takes much more insight to grasp what the big social networking platforms have done. I am not a fan of the change. Heck I don't even like it when my son updates my phone. But I do know one must adapt to stay relevant and be successful. We all know that with our cleaning business's. Therefore for us at TMF to do the same, we had to, and have adapted very well. I am still each day accomplishing the mission I set for TMF from its inception, to "raise the industry bar" by providing quality content, videos and products. So don't discount TMF's reach to help others. Times change and so did we.