Those that pre-vacuum

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
We see no reason for all those steps to clean a carpet.

2 steps
good grief, PLEASE keep doing what your doing! That way your just like the other 95% of the cleaners out there - just relying on the cleaning agents to do the work. It just makes the upper 5% look that much better.

There is so much here to discuss but lets get back to your question about prevacuuming and the truck sitting. Many cleaners use different levels of service ie, bronze, silver, platinum or whatever. Every one gives a different level of service. Might I assume that many of the better cleaners here just offer the platinum service and charge accordingly and keep just as busy as you do. Difference is that we arent running around cleaning 10-12 jobs a day but 3-4 and making the same amount as you. Id rather be at one house all day than run around town sitting in traffic let alone all the setup takedown times of multiple jobs. But to each his own.

Back to the prevacuuming part and your comment on CRB. Most of my customers do prevacuum and when I run my CRB over it, they are amazed at what their vacuum *didnt get*. Truth is, a CRB will get out more debris than any vacuum. So my thought was if I use a CRB I dont need to prevacuum, but even I am starting to question that as dry soil removal is so important. So even though I have assumed that my service is superior, Im just going to top it by prevacuuming. Kinda opposite of you which is doing everything they can to do less steps.

Which brings me to what I have said all along. Call 100 cleaners and you will get 100 different prices and 100 different results.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I always try to get the homeowner to pre vac, but if its not up to par than I vac the floor myself... but the goal is to get the cleaning crew or homeowner to vac. its their job lol I have charged before....

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
Well it's clear that you don't do any warranty work.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Even when it doesnt at all look like it visually, you can still fill multiple vac bags with a good vacuuming.

After its vacuumed the pile is opened and accepts pre spray better, pre spray is not as absorbed by all that extra soil, you can put down way less... like probably 1/8 as much as guys that dont pre vac

Then CRB it, once that is done your wanding is super easy and much more efficient. Total moisture in the home is reduced by a lot. Thats how you can get 1hr dry times.

Or pressure wash in your pre spray and slow double trigger every pass, force a ton of dry soil into the backing, and let your customers enjoy their 12hr dry time

personally id rather do 2 jobs a day than 6, so we vacuum..

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
if you pay close attention and watch guys on youtube who obviously dont vac, the wanding is really slow with lots of overlapping.. then lots of overlapping on dry passes. A lot of times they are still getting the carpets clean with drastic before/after but they have no idea how much faster it could be.

if you vac and pre spray light, you could probably clean better at 650psi/ faster wand strokes and still have better dry times... vs heavy pre spray and cleaning at 400 with slow passes

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
I pre vacuum in case food is deep down in the rug . It will stink if left behind or cleaned over . My sanataire with a beater bar removes it 99 % of the time .
Even more importantly for VLM jobs .
Screenshot_20190219-191017_Firefox.jpg

Reactions: Fedri

NickNZ

Jul 14, 2016
Real Name
Nick Kelly
Sometimes I'll try to "save time" and not vacuum...I usually wish I hadn't. I'm not one for doing more than the job needs but generally each step you do makes the next easier..price your jobs accordingly.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
How do you charge for the time required to vacuum? Your truck is still on the job and I consider if the truck is sitting that is downtime. We only make money if that truck is running and the tech is cleaning. Most clients won't pay a profitable rate for vacuuming much less a rate that would cover the truck to sit and vacuuming. Am I missing something? I truly feel that a tech vacuuming is a waist of clients money and my time. But then again we don't do a lot of homes that require it but back in the day we sure did.
add $20-$30 for every 10-15 minutes of good thorough vacuuming
or you can try $2.50 per minute of vacuuming
i try to stay withing those rates whenever doing vacuuming only
as in maintenance with a minimum of $80.00

calculate the above into the cleaning cost.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
The song and dance 18 step method pat yer self on the back cuz I did a good job only flatters the cleaner. Your average customer only cares about six things, price, you being on-time, how long till they are dry, what the carpets look like when they dry, how the home smells tomorrow, how long ur gonna be there. We have found out through questionnaires these to be most important. That is said after the givens that is expected with any PROFESSIONAL SERVICE performed in their home. Those are the variables they are concerned about. They don't care about your eq, they don't care about your problems, and they really don't care who you send because they trust that you have done your job in hiring someone that fits the atmosphere. That is if your clients TRUST your company. Yes your right there is many ways to skin a cat and then someone shows you a system that delivers the results, is very efficient, least impact to your clients day and to their home(believe it or not your client is waiting on you to get done)and most importantly is repeatable! Some of those is why the large franchises remain strong. If they could get a handle on the results and repeatability the market would belong to them. Good day

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
I would like to touch a little more on the per hour rate for your truck as some seem to be bent out of shape when I speak of hourly rate for CLEANING. Have you ever run your costs of doing business into an hourly rate(40hr normal work week) to understand what it costs you to clean for a client? If you have then factor in more than 40 hrs (overtime) and you will know that hourly cost just went up substantially. If you operate with 2 men on a truck and have never run your numbers you might be surprised at how much your not making but just going through the motions.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
The song and dance 18 step method pat yer self on the back cuz I did a good job only flatters the cleaner. Your average customer only cares about six things, price, you being on-time, how long till they are dry, what the carpets look like when they dry, how the home smells tomorrow, how long ur gonna be there. We have found out through questionnaires these to be most important. That is said after the givens that is expected with any PROFESSIONAL SERVICE performed in their home. Those are the variables they are concerned about. They don't care about your eq, they don't care about your problems, and they really don't care who you send because they trust that you have done your job in hiring someone that fits the atmosphere. That is if your clients TRUST your company. Yes your right there is many ways to skin a cat and then someone shows you a system that delivers the results, is very efficient, least impact to your clients day and to their home(believe it or not your client is waiting on you to get done)and most importantly is repeatable! Some of those is why the large franchises remain strong. If they could get a handle on the results and repeatability the market would belong to them. Good day
My customers biggest concerns are my concerns, but how and why I do what I do are also my concerns. Do I think my customers care about what kind of TM I use or what brand scrubby thing I just plugged in, hell no. I don't bore them with dodgy sounding Bro science unless they ask. I factor in my time on the job, windshield time one way and charge different ft² prices for each area as needed for services provided. I keep all this to myself and do the type of job that needs to be done. It's pretty simple for me to see if vacuuming, scrubbing or any other ancillary service is necessary for the best outcome, happy customer and zero call backs.

My first house yesterday was gravy, 700 ft² white carpet, perfectly maintained as it has been for the last 15 years we've cleaned it, no prevacuum necessary, light scrub for 20 ft², heavy percarbonate, low pH prespray, filter had hardly any hard soil in it. Second job needed the works... both were priced differently for time spent, both extremely happy when I texted them this morning. I don't have a one size fits all approach because I don't have just a one size jobs and I don't use one size pricing. It's simple enough for me to just charge appropriately for my time and do what needs to be done or walk away from the job.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Is this filter that you are talking about is built inside your portable Jim?
All our hwe equipment runs our in house filter will 1 inlet and 2 outlets, air only exits the top, air water and debris exits the bottom. Even loaded with sand it doesn't pay a performance penalty. I'd love to sell them, they are that good... but I don't have time to make' em!

Reactions: J20770

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
All our hwe equipment runs our in house filter will 1 inlet and 2 outlets, air only exits the top, air water and debris exits the bottom. Even loaded with sand it doesn't pay a performance penalty. I'd love to sell them, they are that good... but I don't have time to make' em!
Yes I remember you were showing the pictures of it, where about are you located? If you can make one for me I will be buying it.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Yes I remember you were showing the pictures of it, where about are you located? If you can make one for me I will be buying it.
Charlotte, NC. We have loved being able to plow through anything and not take a hit at the wand. We suck up anything, leaves, Doo Dad's, wads of hair pulled off the pads from scrubbing and just keep truckin with no performance loss.

Met a dry clean only guy today in South Park at a midrise as we loaded the portable that told me I need to get away from hwe because I was wetting the pad, I struggled to finish the conversation honorably.

Sierra Clean Care

Feb 22, 2015
Real Name
Jeff T.
I charge 200$ per hr... whatever the job takes.
Sometimes I make up to 500$ an hr.
Do I vac, yes.

Reactions: Fedri